• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 3-1-11: Restaurants, Cars & Parks Bills; HB 63 & HB 111

rotorhead

It's a tough issue. It diminished the OC-friendliness of the state and like you say, creates a "special class."

I'd have a REAL hard time saying that I'd rather the bill just disappear though... and I know almost *nothing* of the realities of lobbying that GRNC has been dealing with for years. I can imagine it sucks though. I'm not in politics for a reason.

WHY can't things be more black and white??? :D

Because some Congressional Caucus would cry foul for having a separation of black and white lol. Things must be gray so that no one is offended :cool:

glockaholic

HB 111 is being heard in the House Judiciary A Committee tomorrow. There will be an opportunity for public comment.

NCGV is asking their members to email the committee in opposition to the bill. Let's counter by sending our own emails in support of HB 111. Phone calls are even better.

Here's what NCGV sent out just a little while ago:

HB 111 allowing concealed handguns in restaurants and parks will be heard tomorrow in the House Judiciary A Committee. If you oppose loaded, concealed guns in family restaurants and neighborhood parks, use this link to send a message to the the Judiciary Committee TODAY.

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=U+JLdmW76lWIDZA/dnATaElI8Dh108AU

REDFIVE48

HB 111 is being heard in the House Judiciary A Committee tomorrow. There will be an opportunity for public comment.

NCGV is asking their members to email the committee in opposition to the bill. Let's counter by sending our own emails in support of HB 111. Phone calls are even better.

Here's what NCGV sent out just a little while ago:

I decided to use their mass email system to do my dirty work. Went to their site, changed the subject to Support (instead of Oppose) and then reworded the letter to:
Dear Representative,

I am writing you today to ask you to protect my family by supporting House Bill 111. This bill would allow guns in family restaurants and concealed weapons into neighborhood parks, restoring 2nd amendment rights of law-abiding voting citizens.

NC is one of a small minority of states that limits a citizens ability to self defense while eating out at a majority of restaurants.

Now is the time to improve our existing conceal carry permitting system to make North Carolina a safer place.

I am looking to you to help allow me to protect my family from criminals by supporting this bill.

Please support HB 111.

Sincerely,

Ha ha to them! Here is hoping their mass email program doesn't send out the preformatted letter when they allow you to personalize it to your liking.

cricketdad

I decided to use their mass email system to do my dirty work. Went to their site, changed the subject to Support (instead of Oppose) and then reworded the letter to:
Dear Representative,

I am writing you today to ask you to protect my family by supporting House Bill 111. This bill would allow guns in family restaurants and concealed weapons into neighborhood parks, restoring 2nd amendment rights of law-abiding voting citizens.

NC is one of a small minority of states that limits a citizens ability to self defense while eating out at a majority of restaurants.

Now is the time to improve our existing conceal carry permitting system to make North Carolina a safer place.

I am looking to you to help allow me to protect my family from criminals by supporting this bill.

Please support HB 111.

Sincerely,

Ha ha to them! Here is hoping their mass email program doesn't send out the preformatted letter when they allow you to personalize it to your liking.

wonder how long before they catch on?

Maverick9110e

Submitted my email, i piggy backed off of yours Redfive, hope you don't mind.

Madam Representative,
I am writing you today to ask you to protect my family by supporting House Bill 111. This bill would allow firearms in family restaurants and concealed weapons into neighborhood parks, restoring 2nd amendment rights of law-abiding voting citizens. NC is one of a small minority of states that limits a citizens ability to self defense while eating out at a majority of restaurants. Now is the time to improve our existing conceal carry permitting system to make North Carolina a safer place. I am looking to you to help allow me to protect my family from criminals by supporting this bill. I also feel that this legislation does not no far enough. I urge you to consider re-wording the bill to remove the word concealed carry and rather simply put "Carry" this would allow law abiding citizens to openly carry as they are already allowed to do in many other areas. Even those who open carry must still be subject to background checks. By allowing the bill to pass with concealed carry only it would, for the first time create a place where one is allowed to conceal carry but not open carry. Please understand that these laws will only restrict law abiding citizens and our rights. I thank you for your time and look to your support in the protection and safety of myself and loved ones, and allow us to legally defend ourselves as the constitution of the United States guarantees us.

Please support HB 111.

Sincerely,
Me
NC Resident

sultan62

Here's mine:

Dear Representative,

I am writing you today to ask you to LET ME protect my family by SUPPORTING House Bill 111. This bill would allow guns in family restaurants and concealed weapons into neighborhood parks.

In a national study 57 percent of voters reported feeling less safe knowing people can carry loaded, concealed guns in public. For more information please visit: http://www.ncgv.org/polls_2011 (I WASN'T POLLED, AND I DISAGREE. FURTHERMORE, THIS STATISTIC IS NOT ON THE LINK REFERENCED, AND THE ONLY POLLING SOURCE WITH ASSOCIATED INFORMATION AVAILABLE IS A BIASED GROUP, "MAYORS AGAINST ILLEGAL GUNS", WHO POLLED A MERE 1,003 VOTERS NATIONWIDE. I CAN ONLY ASSUME THE OTHER SOURCE MENTIONED INCLUDED NC VOTERS, THOUGH I WAS UNABLE TO VERIFY THIS.)

Rather than focus on weakening our existing gun laws, now is the time to improve our existing conceal carry permitting system. These systems have flaws; in a 2006 study in Florida, 1,400 individuals who had pleaded guilty or no contest to felonies were allowed to buy guns. (I AGREE WITH WEAKENING GUN LAWS. START WITH REPEALING LOCATIONS WHERE WE ARE DISALLOWED FROM CARRYING INSTEAD OF MAKING EXCEPTIONS. FURTHERMORE, NORTH CAROLINA IS NOT FLORIDA)

In North Carolina, our conceal carry permit system has several large gaps; permit holders are not required to obtain a county permit from their local Sheriff’s Department and are not required to pass a background check for five years. (THIS IS NOT A GAP. IT SOLVES A REDUNDANCY. PISTOL PURCHASE PERMITS ALSO LAST FOR FIVE YEARS.)

I am looking to you to ALLOW ME TO protect my family from gun violence by SUPPORTING this bill.

Please SUPPORT HB 111.

Sincerely,

Me

P.S. Caps are mine, the rest is from the useless NCGV.

That's right, their one referenced statistic isn't even on the mentioned link.

Also, anyone else find it odd that they omit the 'A' from the abbreviation? I wonder why.

WTFOVER

Lurker for awhile, finally signed up for the forum. Here is the response from one of my 4 elected officals; I'll bold the important remarks;

Dear Mr. XXXX,
Thank you for your letter of concern about House Bills 63 and 111. Representative Haire stands by the 2nd Amendment and a citizen’s right to bear arms. House Bill 111 would allow persons with concealed carry licenses to carry a concealed handgun in restaurants and parks. This legislation is very concerning because Rep. Haire does support the 2nd amendment but carrying firearms in restaurants and parks can lead to a dangerous precedent. Again, thank you for you letter and have a good day.

Sincerely,
Nick Stewart
Office of Representative Phil Haire

So email Mr. Haire and let him know your displeasure and that you will be voting against him next election.

cricketdad

Lurker for awhile, finally signed up for the forum. Here is the response from one of my 4 elected officals; I'll bold the important remarks;

So email Mr. Haire and let him know your displeasure and that you will be voting against him next election.

He has a GRNC rating of ZERO. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk

sultan62

Got the following email response:

Thank you for taking the time to write me and for your interest in the
work of the General Assembly. Please know that I appreciate your
position and will weigh it as we make decisions here on your behalf.
Thank you again and please contact me if I can ever be of service to
you.

Rep. Darren Jackson
House District 39 (Knightdale, Wendell, Zebulon, and Garner)
darren.jackson@ncleg.net
301N Legislative Office Building
(919)733-5974

Thanks for not telling me your position AT ALL. Doubtless, he's against it.

glockaholic

It's my understanding that HB 111 was amended in committee today, but I haven't been able to track down the exact wording yet. Regardless, the amendment was something to the effect of "wait staff may ask patrons if they are carrying a concealed weapon if they order an alcoholic beverage." Silliness.

rotorhead

It's my understanding that HB 111 was amended in committee today, but I haven't been able to track down the exact wording yet. Regardless, the amendment was something to the effect of "wait staff may ask patrons if they are carrying a concealed weapon if they order an alcoholic beverage." Silliness.

What's stopping wait staff from asking people that now? lol.

I guess someone feels better after adding that in there.

sultan62

If this passes, I want to organize an OC day at a restaurant, which will unfortunately only be possible for those with CHPs. Of course, feel free to attend, just not carry. :cry:

cricketdad

Just getting home and don't have time to research it much but it was our old friend Deborah Ross