• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thurston County Board of Commissioners to Consider No-Shooting Ordinance Tonight!

bikemutt

Just got wind of this and figured I'd post here in case any south sounders are interested.
----------------
The NRA has just learned that the Thurston County Board of Commissioners will take public testimony on a proposed No-Shooting ordinance tonight in Building One, Room 152 of the Thurston County Courthouse from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.

This proposed firearms discharge ban ordinance would create a no-shooting zone for all land and marine waters of Puget Sound lying 300 yards, waterward, from the ordinary high water line. This would negatively impact hunters and sportsmen in Thurston County.

This ordinance would also declare all areas zoned for residential densities of greater than one dwelling unit per five acres as a no-shooting zone. This does not mean that there must be a population density justifying it or safety issues present but, rather, that the rural property simply be zoned as such - even if there are no homes on the property. This proposed ordinance would immediately convert large areas of Thurston County into a no-shooting zone.

If possible, plan to attend tonight’s hearing and make your views known. If you cannot attend, please contact the Thurston County Commissioners by phone and e-mail. Your three County Commissioners are:

Cathy Wolfe (District 1)
Sandra Romero (District 2)
Karen Valenzuela (District 3)

Last edited:

therealcombat

That's nuts!

According to state preemption:
RCW 9.41.300 said:
(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others

Does anyone see a problem with the "reasonable likelihood" part?

amlevin

No point in getting all worked up. Unless there are hundreds of people showing up for these hearings telling the commissioners to "Stuff it", they'll move on and pass it. And it will be upheld in judicial review just like everywhere else these bans have been enacted.

As for making it on land zoned as residential whether occupied or not, it makes it easier to make maps that will be up to date for a long time. It makes for easier enforcement.

DevinWKuska

I would first like to ask if anyone knows if this ordinance passed? Secondly I suspect this is yet another law that will get dumped after a few months for being un-constitutional.

amlevin

I would first like to ask if anyone knows if this ordinance passed? Secondly I suspect this is yet another law that will get dumped after a few months for being un-constitutional.

As I read it, it was a "Public Input" meeting with little notice. You know, so they don't get too much negative public input on what they really want to do.

Whitney

Kitsap too

If you care about this show up. Following are the Kitsap County shooting restrictions.
http://www.codepublishing.com/wa/kitsapcounty/ Under Title 10

Article 3 – No-Shooting Areas
10.24.080 Definitions.

The following definitions shall apply in the interpretation and enforcement of the ordinance codified in this article:
(1) “Firearm” means any weapon or device by whatever name known which will or is designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosion. The term “firearm” shall include but not be limited to rifles, pistols, shotguns and machine guns. The term “firearm” shall not include devices, including but not limited to “nail guns,” which are used as tools in the construction or building industries and which would otherwise fall within this definition.
(2) “Shoreline” means the border between a body of water and land measured by the ordinary high water mark.
(3) “Ordinary high water mark” means that mark on all lakes, streams and tidal water which will be found by examining the bed and banks in ascertaining where the presence and action of waters are so common and usual and so long continued in all ordinary years as to mark upon the soil a characteristic distinct from that of the abutting upland in respect to vegetation; provided, that in any area where the ordinary high water mark cannot be found the ordinary high water mark adjoining salt water shall be the line of mean higher high tide.
(4) “Range” means a place set aside and designated for the discharge of firearms for individuals wishing to practice, improve upon or compete as to their shooting skills.
(Ord. 50-C (1993) § 1, 1993: Ord. 50-B (1993) § 1, 1993: Ord. 50-A (1985) § 1, 1985)
10.24.090 Discharge of firearms – Areas where prohibited.

(a) The discharge of firearms is prohibited within five hundred yards of any shoreline in the unincorporated areas of Kitsap County.
(b) The discharge of firearms in the unincorporated areas of Kitsap County is further prohibited in the following instances:
(1) In any area designated as a “no shooting” area pursuant to Section 10.24.107 of this chapter; specifically:
(A) Section 23, Township 25, Range 1 West, Willamette Meridian, Kitsap County, Washington, except for the following area: The southwest quarter except that portion lying northeast of the Seabeck Highway, of Section 23, Township 25, Range 1 West, Willamette Meridian;
(B) That area bounded on the west by Bethel-Burley Road, on the north by Burley-Olalla Road, on the east by Bandix Road, and on the south by the Kitsap County/Pierce County line;
(C) That area bounded on the west by a line that begins at the southwest corner of tax parcel number 252301-4-012-1009, thence in a straight line northeasterly to the northeast corner of tax parcel number 252301-1-019-1008, thence north along the east boundary of tax parcel number 252301-1-018-1009 to its intersection with the south boundary of tax parcel number 252301-4-013-1009, thence west along said south boundary to the southwest corner of said tax parcel, thence north along the western boundary of said tax parcel to the intersection of Southwest Lake Flora Road, thence easterly along the southerly right-of-way of said road to its intersection with J. M Dickenson Road Southwest, thence southwesterly along the westerly right-of-way of said road to its intersection with the eastern boundary of tax parcel number 252301-4-018-1003, thence north along said boundary to the northeast corner of said parcel, thence west along the northern boundary of said parcel to the Alpine Lake No-Shooting Area.
(2) On any parcel of land less than five acres in size;
(3) Towards any building occupied by people or domestic animals or used for the storage of flammable or combustible materials where the point of discharge is within five hundred yards of such building;
(4) From one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise;
(5) Within five hundred yards of the following lakes located, in whole or in part, in the unincorporated areas of Kitsap County: Long Lake, Kitsap Lake, Wildcat Lake, Panther Lake, Mission Lake, Tiger Lake, William Symington Lake, Tahuya Lake, Island Lake, Horseshoe Lake, Carney Lake, Wye Lake, Buck Lake, Fairview Lake and Bear Lake.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed or interpreted as abridging the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, Section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others.
(Ord. 270 (2002) § 1, 2002: Ord. 50-F (2000) § 1, 2000: Ord. 50-C (1993) § 2, 1993: Ord. 50-B (1993) § 2, 1993: Ord. 50-A (1985) § 2, 1985)
10.24.100 Exceptions.

The provisions of Section 10.24.090 shall not apply to the discharge of firearms:
(1) By law enforcement officers, including Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife officers, or security personnel in the course of their official duties;
(2) On a range, provided that any such range shall comply with the criteria for ranges adopted by the Kitsap County board of commissioners pursuant to Section 10.24.103 of this chapter;
(3) In the course of farm slaughter activities;
(4) Pursuant to RCW 77.12.265;
(5) When such discharge is pursuant to and in compliance with any other valid state or federal law.
(Ord. 50-C (1993) § 3, 1993: Ord. 50-B (1993) § 2, 1993: Ord. 50-A (1985) § 3, 1985)

jt59

Update

For those who have been tracking this...the next meeting is April 4th

http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/resource/docs/shootingzones/Controlled-Shooting-Zone-Complete.pdf

There is no ability for public input at the meeting and they will be making a decision to move forward, send it back to the citizen committee for more work, or let it die.

This is a link to the commisioners packet for the meeting, along with non-support letter from Fish and Game, and impacted areas.

Go if you can.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

If you care about this show up. Following are the Kitsap County shooting restrictions.
http://www.codepublishing.com/wa/kitsapcounty/ Under Title 10

Yeah... I kind of hate my county's no-shooting laws. I was living at a friend's place who has 2 2.48acre parcels. The combined 4.96 acres wasn't good enough for 2 reasons. It wasn't 5 acres and it was 2 parcels. I had plenty of open space, I had take precautions to make it safe to shoot, even if there was anything in that direction and then I couldn't even legally shoot... Really the only place that I can think of that is okay for shooting in Kitsap that isn't private property or a range is a small piece of woods just north of the burley-ollala exit on 16. It is is just outside of the no-shoot zone and far enough away from the highway and road while not being close to any body of water. The only problem there is it is frequented by people walking because of how nice of a place it is...