Thread: Voice Recording?

Voice Recording?

I plan on coming to visit some family members next month and intend to bring my little friend with me. I intend to carry the glock around with me but I wanted to check on the laws regarding voice recorders.

I am specifically interested in what are the rules concerning recording without first informing. Here in Virginia the laws are fairly straight forward as long as one of the persons being recorded is aware of and consents to (that would be me) the recording, no laws are being broken.

I have a Virgina CHP and understand that I can openly or concealed carry while I am there, that is not an issue.

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcmech View Post
    I plan on coming to visit some family members next month and intend to bring my little friend with me. I intend to carry the glock around with me but I wanted to check on the laws regarding voice recorders.

I am specifically interested in what are the rules concerning recording without first informing. Here in Virginia the laws are fairly straight forward as long as one of the persons being recorded is aware of and consents to (that would be me) the recording, no laws are being broken.

I have a Virgina CHP and understand that I can openly or concealed carry while I am there, that is not an issue.
    As long as the police officer is in public, there is no state where recording a police officer is illegal. If it is a private conversation, 12 states require all parties to consent to recording voice:

* California
    * Connecticut
    * Florida
    * Illinois
    * Maryland
    * Massachusetts
    * Michigan
    * Montana
    * Nevada
    * New Hampshire
    * Pennsylvania
    * Washington

No states require consent to record video unless there is an expectation of privacy, like in a bathroom or changing room.

You are good to go brother. Keep em' honest!
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Thumbs up Thanks for the insight

Here is a link a previous member posted to my recording question. It provides the cites concerning the topic for each state.

"Can We Tape?"
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Here is a link a previous member posted to my recording question. It provides the cites concerning the topic for each state.

"Can We Tape?"
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html
    I hate that site. It really doesn't go into detail on anything.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington