• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recording?

tcmech

I plan on coming to visit some family members next month and intend to bring my little friend with me. I intend to carry the glock around with me but I wanted to check on the laws regarding voice recorders.

I am specifically interested in what are the rules concerning recording without first informing. Here in Virginia the laws are fairly straight forward as long as one of the persons being recorded is aware of and consents to (that would be me) the recording, no laws are being broken.

I have a Virgina CHP and understand that I can openly or concealed carry while I am there, that is not an issue.

protect our rights

I plan on coming to visit some family members next month and intend to bring my little friend with me. I intend to carry the glock around with me but I wanted to check on the laws regarding voice recorders.

I am specifically interested in what are the rules concerning recording without first informing. Here in Virginia the laws are fairly straight forward as long as one of the persons being recorded is aware of and consents to (that would be me) the recording, no laws are being broken.

I have a Virgina CHP and understand that I can openly or concealed carry while I am there, that is not an issue.

As long as the police officer is in public, there is no state where recording a police officer is illegal. If it is a private conversation, 12 states require all parties to consent to recording voice:

* California
* Connecticut
* Florida
* Illinois
* Maryland
* Massachusetts
* Michigan
* Montana
* Nevada
* New Hampshire
* Pennsylvania
* Washington

No states require consent to record video unless there is an expectation of privacy, like in a bathroom or changing room.

You are good to go brother. Keep em' honest!