• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Bowling Green prohibits CC... legal?

Ford

I just found out today that Bowling Green apparently prohibits CC in any building owned, leased, or controlled by the city. KRS 65.870 seems pretty clear to me that this is illegal. KRS 527.020 also seems pretty clear that licensees can conceal anywhere they can OC, particularly section 4.

Just wanted to check if there's some discrepancy or loophole in the law that I'm not aware of. Any advice as to who to contact about this is welcomed. I'm not going to just sit by and let them trample my rights.

I saw a sign on the way into the parks and recreation office, which tipped me off to this law. For what its worth, one of my professors was stabbed to death outside this very building about a year and a half ago, they still haven't found out who did it. So much for making people safer.

Below is the law copied and pasted from the city's code of ordinances.

2-1.08 Concealed Deadly Weapons.

a. No person, including employees of the City of Bowling Green , shall carry a concealed deadly weapon into or on any building or portion of any building owned, leased or controlled by the City of Bowling Green .

b. The prohibition in Subsection a. shall not apply to the following:

1. Buildings or portions of buildings owned, leased or controlled by the City of Bowling Green which are used for public housing by private persons, highway rest areas, firing ranges and private dwellings; and,

2. Sworn police officers of the City of Bowling Green Police Department and other law enforcement officers authorized to carry concealed deadly weapons pursuant to KRS 527.020.

c. The City Manager shall have posted at the entrances to all City owned, leased or controlled buildings or portions of buildings signs prohibiting the carrying of concealed deadly weapons in those buildings.

d. Any person violating this Section shall be denied entrance into the building or portion of the building and shall be ordered to leave the building. Any City employee violating this Section shall be subject to disciplinary measures up to and including dismissal from employment.

Ford

Thanks for the clarification gutshot. I thought there was something I was missing. From what I can tell the rules they have are legal, I guess I'll just uncover and see how they like that!