• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yellowstone tent camping without a CC permit?

jokerone

I live in Illinois and I want to pack heat in my tent only (for bears) in Yellowstone this summer.

Since I live in Illinois I don’t have a CC permit, but my understanding of the law is I only need a Conceal permit if I plan on packing the gun around with me on trails and such, which I don’t.

Please let me know where I stand on this? Is a tent considered your domicile?

since9

Campaign Veteran
NPS allows carry of guns in accordance with the laws of the state in which the park is located.

http://www.yellowstoneinsider.com/2...gun-rules-you-can-pack-but-you-cant-shoot.php

Reading through this article is like sitting through an anti-gun love-in! "... the NRA, which is pushing the law as a reason to kill wildlife...." I missed that press release.

What I learned about the measure last year was that it simply forced the NPS to comply with state laws concerning both OC and CC, so that honest, law-abiding citizens could continue to exercise their Constitutional rights in National Parks they same as they do everywhere else.

The press release from Yellowstone NP itself, which starts about halfway down, is more on target: "Hunting, or the discharge of a firearm in Yellowstone National Park continues to be prohibited," "Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy," and "Bear pepper spray has proven to be a good last line of defense if you keep it handy and use it according to directions when animals are within 30 feet" sound a bit more along the lines of ration and reason.

The most effective measure against bears is storing all foodstuffs in the steel bear-proof containers. I've camped in Yellowstone NP before, and if I were to go again, I'd definately be OCing, but I'd also have a can of bear spray on my left hip, and would use it first.

I do not agree with the author's opinion in the first part of the article that discharge is prohibited under all circumstances, period, bar none. Of course discharge is prohibited. It's prohibited in nearly all cities and towns throughout the U.S., too. Self-defense is, and will remain an affirmative defense throughout most of those cities and towns.

As for National Parks, I think you'd catch some serious flack if you ever had to use a firearm for self-defense. Doesn't mean I wouldn't, though.

Presuming you will be camping in Wyoming, you may OC but not CC as I read it.

You can OC in all three states.

jokerone

Actually I had planned on camping in the northern part of the park and I believe thats Montana, but I'll double check. I read that someone in a National Park in Alaska shot a bear that was attacking him and his wife. The attorney general said based on the cirumstances they probably wouldn't file any charges. So I guess natural law and the right to self defense trumps National park laws.

I found this article.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2010-05-17-national-parks-guns-grizzly-bears_N.htm

jimd_21

according to Montana law as long as your not in a incorporated city you do not need a permit to carry concealed. The same is true in Idaho, and i believe Wyoming.

eye95

Yes, but the way the bill amended the state law, concealed carry without a permit will only be lawful for Wyoming residents.

As a matter of practicality, how could they possibly enforce the residency requirement? If you CC, LEOs generally won't know. But, even if you flash or imprint, how do they know you are not a resident? Short of someone ratting you out, that you are carrying and are not a resident, I just don't see RAS.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As a matter of practicality, how could they possibly enforce the residency requirement? If you CC, LEOs generally won't know. But, even if you flash or imprint, how do they know you are not a resident? Short of someone ratting you out, that you are carrying and are not a resident, I just don't see RAS.

Again it is a matter of honest people, wanting to stay that way. For all others, the principle value would seem to be as a add-on charge.

jimd_21

That is true only in Montana. The OP's best bet is just to open carry in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming which is completely legal, no permit required. However, the 1,000' Federal Gun Free School Zone law will apply and the prohibition of firearms in Federal building regularly occupied by National Park Service employees.

Besides, a gun that would be of suitable size to stop a bear would be difficult to conceal effectively. Of course, you don't need to stop an attacking bear, you only need to slow down your hiking buddy with you.

Well Idaho you can conceal outside the confines of the city limits. that is the one that i know for sure being from idaho myself. as far as WY i am sure but not positive. And as far as the gov buildings in the park...yeah they are all posted so be careful. I unhoslter and leave my pistol in the glove box whenever we stop to get a drink or eat. (best bet is pack a cooler so you dont have to stop lol)

As far as beating your hiking buddy....i will be the one in the rear because my yellowstone buddies are my two girls 9 and 12 and my girlfriend.....so yeah don't pack the 45 to yellowstone....pack the 454. Not just for the bears but the buffalo can be pretty temperamental and more predominate than the bears lol. FYI their have been more Buffalo attacks than bear attacks lol, for some reason people think they are in a petting zoo.....

jayspapa

jokerone ,

PM sent.

It is quite a thrill to ride past a bison , which is standing in a ditch , while on a 750 Honda and look at him eyeball to eyeball.

We got to see a cow moose stomp a recliner type lawn chair into scrap aluminum early one morning also. When you are sleeping in a tent and see that happen in the campsite next to you , it makes you very thankful that it wasn't in your campsite.

I sure wish I could have open carried at the time.

JamesB

Last summer my daughter and I went through Yellowstone. I open carried all the way. On all the hiking trails, in the camping areas, in the grocerie store and gas stations. Open carry at and through all of them.

Not one problem.
OC is your answer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last summer my daughter and I went through Yellowstone. I open carried all the way. On all the hiking trails, in the camping areas, in the grocerie store and gas stations. Open carry at and through all of them.

Not one problem.
OC is your answer.

Be careful in any building where NPS employees regularly work - signs should be in evidence though.

Obey all state laws for the state in which the park is located.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Yellowstone hiker's flight may have spurred grizzly attack

Article.

So... Would the guy have run had he been carrying? I wouldn't. I'd have done what I've been taught: Back away, slowly, speaking in a low voice, hands held high. This makes you appear larger to the bear. Supposedly...

If the bear doesn't back down, then do what this non-gun website says: "If a bear is charging you and you've got a gun, now might be the time to use it."

Ya think?

I'd ignore the warning about fines. If a bear is charging you, it is, by definition, self-defense and NOT a "wrongful killing." That doesn't mean you won't encounter some pinhead who will file charges against you anyway. You'll just look a lot prettier in court without having had your face ripped off.

Fisherman

Theres bears on trails to.

Bears Smares! Bears aren't a problem if you act quickly. As soon as you notice the bear, you have to run toward it and pet it on it's head making sure to expose your neck and stomach area so the bear knows you're not a threat. If he growls a little bit, just smack him on the side of his head and say, "Be a good boy! Perty bear! Good bear!" Poor bears get a bad rep. Don't need a gun! Be sure your camping partners take a good camera so he can record you communing with nature. :eek:

OldCurlyWolf

Bears Smares! Bears aren't a problem if you act quickly. As soon as you notice the bear, you have to run toward it and pet it on it's head making sure to expose your neck and stomach area so the bear knows you're not a threat. If he growls a little bit, just smack him on the side of his head and say, "Be a good boy! Perty bear! Good bear!" Poor bears get a bad rep. Don't need a gun! Be sure your camping partners take a good camera so he can record you communing with nature. :eek:

You do mean being processed into bear scat, aka Fertilizer.:cool:

Last edited:

hermannr

Very simply: If you do not have a permit from a state that WY, ID and MT recognizes, in every one of those states it is legal to OC places you cannot even CC with a permit.

Example, in Montana it is illegal to CC into an establishment that serves alcoholic beverages by the glass, but it is Legal to OC into the same locations. Read their laws, and remember if it is not stated as illegal, it is legal. handgunlaw.us has links to the states laws.

Get a good retention holster so you don't have to worry about losing your weapon by accident, and have fun OCing.