• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pockets and Carry

jawn

Out of curiosity, have any of you relocated where you carry your phone, wallet, or keys when you open carry? When I carry, I carry strong-side OWB. This is also the same side that I normally carry my phone, wallet, and car keys. However, I've recently started thinking about relocating where I keep these items so that I minimize any sort of perceived threat in my normal, day-to-day pocket retrievals or avoid any incidental contact with my gun.

Any thoughts on this matter? Am I over-thinking this?

PikesPeakMtnMan

I used to carry my wallet and my phone on my right side....now my gun is carried on that side and my wallet and phone (and pepper spray) are all carried on my left side.

I carry my wallet on my "off-side" now because I don't want to be seen as reaching towards my gun if I'm just going for my wallet or phone....though there are a lot of people who still carry everything "strong-side" (along with the gun).

Another reason, more in my mind than anything else, is that it helps to sort of balance everything out....not talking about weight or anything...it would just seem odd to me to carry EVERYTHING on one side of my body.

mobeewan

I am now 50 and have been carrying a pistol for over 15 years. I switched almost 30 years ago to carrying my wallet in my left hip pocket, change in my left front pocket and pocket knife in my right front pocket. All due to the fact I am right handed and it is easier. I had to switch hands after pulling my wallet and change to pick through them with my right hand any way as well as switching with the knife. When I started carrying a folding knife with pocket clip for self defense purposes I added it to the right hip pocket and pepper spray on the left side on my belt. Later I got my permit and carry right side IWB with mags replacing the mace. Then I got a cell phone and added it to my left front pocket. Spare key holder occupies right front pocket. I used to worry about exposing mags on left side when reaching for wallet on left or exposing my pistol on the right when reaching for the top shelf in a store. I don't anymore since I learned a few years ago OC is legal and it isn't brandishing in Virginia to inadvertantly expose.

Last edited:

eye95

My phone moved to my left (weak) side. My wallet has been augmented with my "OC wallet." I carry my original wallet on my right side, where I always have, but leave it in the car when I walk around OC. My OC wallet (which does not contain my DL and CPL) is on my left side.

j4l

Some good points-esp. the concept of a perceived threat..I habitually clip my keys (d-ring) to the belt loop over my right front pocket-just ahead of the holster when carrying Strong side..probably shall re-consider this..

My cell is almost always left-front pocket-clipped..knife in sheath usually right hip,clip-folder right front pocket..ya I gotta juggle things around a bit. still experimenting...

Im carrying left-hand and cross-draw on occasion as well, and end up juggling everything that way too..lordy, before you know it we'll be lugging backpacks around lol.

Another thing-the holster I have for the time being, has the mag pouch along the front- not the best place. Have to reach across the body w/ left-hand to grab the next mag, or switch hands for gun, grab mag w/right hand,etc.. awkward, all-around. Will probably just get a typical, seperate mag pouch for opposite-side carry,and use the pouch for a flashlight or something instead...Also, having the second mag full of 12 .45 rounds weighs the whole rig down a lot.

84526rigrighthip.jpg

Last edited:

Q-Tip

I have a weird ambidextrous thing going on. I shoot long guns left handed and hand guns right handed, so a handgun feels natural on my right side, as well as pocket knives. My left hand is my primary phone hand, however, and is naturally on my left side, as is my wallet. Fortunately this works out pretty well for me.

j4l

wierd stuff, being ambi. rifle i can shoot only right -handed, pistol either. knife im able to work with only right-handed.
Im left-handed at writing,eating etc. But play guitar right handed also. Im just all messed up...lol

Sonora Rebel

After many this 'n that's... along with a box full of holsters 'n junk... It comes down to wallet in the right rear pocket. Pistol at 10 O'Clock to the left (cross-draw) in a Serpa II. Cell phone in a jacket pocket or a pouch to the right side someplace. Mag pouch to the rear of the holster which I wear on a gunbelt, or a simple open 'bucket' pouch on my belt if retention is not a concern. I don't carry any of that other ninja junque. My horse rig is 100% WWII military.

Attachments

• 10-24-10 Arroyo 004.JPG
    10-24-10 Arroyo 004.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 102

45acpForMe

What rides in my pockets has evolved over time.

If I am wearing a coat my phone & keys are in the coat pockets. Without a coat both go in my front right pocket.

Since I OC at 4 o'clock I can reach into my front pocket without going past/at the gun.

Wallet is always back left. Knife is always right back. BUG is always front left.

If I am wearing cargo pants/shorts sometimes the knife or extra mags go in the cargo pockets.

frommycolddeadhands

I never really thought about it. My wallet stays in my right back pocket 90% of the time. If I'm wearing a jacket then chances are that I'm concealing my firarm, but my wallet might find its way into one of my coat pockets depending on which coat I'm wearing.

I've always found that even with open carry, most people dont even seem to notice that you're carrying unless you've got a cannon strapped to your waist. During the summer months I used to OC a little .380 auto in a simple black nylon holster on my right hand side. Kept my wallet in the same side back pocket. Going to stores or shopping I can say I've never had a negative experience of reaching for my wallet and someone freaking out. Being comforatable with carrying a weapon goes a long ways to making other people comfortable too.

As for the rest, usually car keys go in my front left jean pocket, swiss army knife is either in a jean pocket or coat pocket. Cell phone usually stays in the car because I really hate cell phones and nothing bugs me more than trying to have a telephone conversation in public. I leave it in the car and trust that if it's an important call they'll leave a voicemail and I can call 'em back from the sanctity of my vehicle.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Out of curiosity, have any of you relocated where you carry your phone, wallet, or keys when you open carry?

No. Whenever I have an occasion to grab my firearm, it WILL BE my firearm, not my cell phone, pager, or whatever.

I carry everything else, everywhere else.

Last edited: