• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC News 28 - Florida Carry's Rob Allen says open carry is about the right to choose

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...-to-be-carried-openly-at-Florida-universities with video

SNIP

Dawn Sanchez, spokeswoman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, also does not want the law enacted. She believes open carry in Florida would lead to more violence, an increase in fear and negatively impact tourism.
. . .

Robb Allen, though, disagrees. He is a board member for FloridaCarry.org and supports open carry. He believes allowing people to carry weapons openly in Florida would not lead to more violence, and would also give gun owners the freedom outlined in the U.S. Constitution.

“The second amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms. And, in a free society, men and women get to choose how they wish to bear them,” Allen said.

Last edited:

77zach

Thanks "Law Enforcement Officials"

This bill would undoubtedly pass if law enforcement would keep their mouth shut. University police do nothing except write tickets and occasionally bust kids for smoking george washington's toothe ache medicine or underage drinking. Will they be there when a crime is being committed? No. Can they be everywhere at the same time? No. I'm sick of these "officials" agitating for more tyranny, and I'm sick and tired of neocon legislators giving hear to these "officials". Screw them.

nigmalg

This bill would undoubtedly pass if law enforcement would keep their mouth shut. University police do nothing except write tickets and occasionally bust kids for smoking george washington's toothe ache medicine or underage drinking. Will they be there when a crime is being committed? No. Can they be everywhere at the same time? No. I'm sick of these "officials" agitating for more tyranny, and I'm sick and tired of neocon legislators giving hear to these "officials". Screw them.

This is something I don't understand. From the perspective of our representatives, do officer votes count as 3 civilian votes?

While I understand for the most part that these negative LEO "opinions" come from the brass, they can't possible outnumber the vocal OC side.

We all vote too.

77zach

This is something I don't understand. From the perspective of our representatives, do officer votes count as 3 civilian votes?

While I understand for the most part that these negative LEO "opinions" come from the brass, they can't possible outnumber the vocal OC side.

We all vote too.

Many of the legislators have a "law enforcement" fetish. If you wear a state issued uniform you are automatically more competent, smarter, more moral, etc.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm sick of these "officials" agitating for more tyranny, and I'm sick and tired of neocon legislators giving hear to these "officials". Screw them.

I was sick of it 15 years ago. My tolerance for subjugation is far less than the rest of the population, it would seem.

Being 'official' does not make one educated or respectable. Their open contempt for We The People should be the obvious disqualifier, but it's not....

quartell

I got a question: say the law passes, all my college would have to do is put up a sign to allow me not to carry on premises right ?

I go to SJRSC formally known as SJRCC

77zach

I got a question: say the law passes, all my college would have to do is put up a sign to allow me not to carry on premises right ?

I go to SJRSC formally known as SJRCC

No. It's a public college, so they will not be able to infringe on your right to bear arms. It may be indecent and immoral for a private school to have a "no guns" policy, but that is the right of the property owners. The anti-gun policies of public institutions will be preempted by SB 234

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
No. It's a public college, so they will not be able to infringe on your right to bear arms. It may be indecent and immoral for a private school to have a "no guns" policy, but that is the right of the property owners. The anti-gun policies of public institutions will be preempted by SB 234
More specifically, there is a parallel bill, HB 45/SB 402, which will provide comprehensive preemption that will cover public colleges & universities and provide very strong enforcement mechanisms.

Last edited:

Rich7553

A VERY important bill. The 3 day waiting period is unspeakably evil.

The three day waiting period will not go away, regardless of this bill. It is in the state constitution and cannot be overridden by statute.

bigtim6656

this is why I like indiana, I got the itch for a gun jumped in my truck went down the road bought a glock 17 and was home shooting in 2hours :banana:. This dam 3 day wait came at a surprise when I talked to a florida shop about the handgun permit :banghead:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The three day waiting period will not go away, regardless of this bill. It is in the state constitution and cannot be overridden by statute.

As perverted and counter-productive as it is, it only has a real effect on first-time buyers who buy from a dealer.

I try to buy second hand person-to-person most of the time anyway. Better prices, not feeding greed/markup, helping people who need money. The more people in the 2nd-hand market, the better prices the sellers can get. These are the people who actually need and deserve the money anyhow.

Use the advanced search feature on gunbroker to get in-state sellers only. Send the email, meet up in person. Yay!

Florida has a lot of Bad Ideas in it's gun restrictions. We can't shore them all up/eradicate them in one pass, there will be too much neocon/liberal opposition to making a better world.

I'm not suggesting that these things don't need to be done. I'm not saying 'we got this and screw everything else.' I'm saying if you put all the stuff the neocons/liberals hate into one will, they'll all join forces to prevent anything good from ever happening.

One bill at a time. Let the few who object, object to the individual items so the supporters can outnumber them. Combined, they all object and it fails.

Last edited: