Thread: Del Mar College professor John M. Crisp calls CHL holders "vigilantes"

Moderator / Administrator

Del Mar College professor John M. Crisp calls CHL holders "vigilantes"

Professor Crisp's bio is at http://www.delmar.edu/engl/instruct/jcrisp/index.html & http://unitedfeatures.com/?title=Bio:John%20Crisp

----
    http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/feb/...#ixzz1FRqd9ONK
    - vcstar.com

SNIP

Since handguns on campus will change irremediably the essential culture of the classroom, just as their presence would change courtrooms, a realistic assessment of what will occur when the first gun is pulled in a crowded lecture hall is called for.

. . .

Confidence that the citizen/vigilante, untrained, inexperienced and excited, would be able to use his weapon judiciously in a crowd where some portion of the other students are pulling their own weapons, is unwarranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Which includes his phone #

...a realistic assessment of what will occur when the first gun is pulled in a crowded lecture hall is called for.
    We already have a real (not just realistic) assessment of what happens.
    It's called Virginia Tech.
    Or Columbine.
    Or what was the college in northern IL?
    Or that Amish schoolhouse?

We've tried banning guns for several decades, and all that got us was mass murders of defenseless victims. It's time to get out of the way of those innocents protecting themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Which includes his phone #

We already have a real (not just realistic) assessment of what happens.
    It's called Virginia Tech.
    Or Columbine.
    Or what was the college in northern IL?
    Or that Amish schoolhouse?

We've tried banning guns for several decades, and all that got us was mass murders of defenseless victims. It's time to get out of the way of those innocents protecting themselves.
    Would the shooting at the Florida School board meeting a couple of months ago qualify? It ended when a former LEO went to his car to get his gun and shot the guy. Had any of the board members been concealed carrying, they likely could have ended it earlier.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do *they* not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    Would the shooting at the Florida School board meeting a couple of months ago qualify? It ended when a former LEO went to his car to get his gun and shot the guy. Had any of the board members been concealed carrying, they likely could have ended it earlier.
    When I first saw the footage, that was the first thing I thought. It was immediately apparent that the gunman was not there to have a discussion and come to a resolution. He was at the end of his wits. Unfortunately, he had convinced himself that this was the only option left, to turn his situation into an example for others. I found it quite saddening.

On the other hand, I'm not going to get all mushy when someone turns a bad situation into a violent one. Once he presented the gun in a threatening manner, I would have had no qualms with ending the situation quickly. Situations like this only remind me that excessive regulation and restriction of our Constitutional rights only ends in sadness, hurt and loss.