Thread: secure video upload for OC encounters

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

secure video upload for OC encounters

i remember being part of a discussion thread a while back in regards to live internet upload of video. i just found, and tested an app on my droid x that works great. i'm sure some of you already know about this, but it is www.qik.com. the apps are supported across multiple platforms.
    you can upload video directly to twitter, facebook, youtube and others. actually, upload is the wrong term, you are actually streaming live and the video is saved on the interwebz. i think this will be a great tool for OC. especially considering the issues that some have had with law enforcement attempting to delete videos of recorders.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    i remember being part of a discussion thread a while back in regards to live internet upload of video. i just found, and tested an app on my droid x that works great. i'm sure some of you already know about this, but it is www.qik.com. the apps are supported across multiple platforms.
    you can upload video directly to twitter, facebook, youtube and others. actually, upload is the wrong term, you are actually streaming live and the video is saved on the interwebz. i think this will be a great tool for OC. especially considering the issues that some have had with law enforcement attempting to delete videos of recorders.
    +1. I've used it for other things and it seems to work fine.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

another positive aspect of this technology is that a LEO who might not think twice about deleting (destroying evidence) video or audio from a device, may hesitate before trying to delete it from an internet account. it may give them pause if you remind them that if they access your account without authorization, that becomes a federal crime.
    http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_unauthor...work_crime.htm

another positive aspect of this technology is that a LEO who might not think twice about deleting (destroying evidence) video or audio from a device, may hesitate before trying to delete it from an internet account. it may give them pause if you remind them that if they access your account without authorization, that becomes a federal crime.
    http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_unauthor...work_crime.htm
    Not to mention Act 53 of 1979 (MCL 752.791-797). I've been charged with it before, I know a bit about it

IIRC, you can't delete the video off QIK's website unless you log in to the website. The phone app doesn't have the ability to delete the video from within the app itself (a plus!)
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

what happened? free wifi?

what happened? free wifi?
    Something about a printer that had a problem beeping (literally) at SVSU.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Thumbs up Thanks for the Qik link

Just downloaded it to my Iphone 3G phone. It works great, I played around with the live upload and it works perfectly. Thanks again.

I now have video capability on my phone as a side benefit. Best $2.99 I ever spent.

Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

ouch, i guess nothing is free from apple... it's free in the android market. i wonder if you could have downloaded it directly from the qik website for free?

btw, congrats on the new babies, chap
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 03-03-2011 at 11:48 AM.

will it upload automatically? or do u need to push a button to send it when u r done?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Unhappy Not free for Apple Iphones

ouch, i guess nothing is free from apple... it's free in the android market. i wonder if you could have downloaded it directly from the qik website for free?
    I did go to the Qik website to ensure it would work for my older phone 3G. It does. :banana:

When you click on the download link for my 3G phone listed on the Qik website, it takes you to ITUNES Preview for this app.( $2.99 is worth it in my opinion. )

btw, congrats on the new babies, chap :)
    Thanks, I just bought a holster for the little one (Ruger .380). I read a bunch on the subject, then decided on the K&D Pocket Defender Convertible 2-in-1.

I bought the IWB holster from SuperTuck CrossBreed for the XDm .45.

Running out of stuff to buy..........:(

Chap

XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

Yes Live upload is possible

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    will it upload automatically? or do u need to push a button to send it when u r done?
    Yes, if you have the "Live Mode" selected. It will upload as you video something to your Free Qik account. (as long as you have reception)

http://support.qik.com/entries/327929-record-share

Basically it's an app so you need to open the program then hit one button to record. If you put it to "Live Mode" earlier then thats it. (Open app push one button)

Chap

XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    actually it uploads live. you just press record and you can see it come through online on your qik account. it's basically a mobile webcam app. you were one of the ones i was thinking of with the whole "LEO attempted erasures of evidence".

One of these days I'm going to be debt free and upgrade to one of these fancy smarty phones and ya'll are going to have to school me in what the hell you're talking about.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Yes, if you have the "Live Mode" selected. It will upload as you video something to your Free Qik account. (as long as you have reception)

http://support.qik.com/entries/327929-record-share

Basically it's an app so you need to open the program then hit one button to record. If you put it to "Live Mode" earlier then thats it. (Open app push one button)

Chap
    I downloaded it and tried it, works except for uploading, no matter what I do it just wont upload just sits there

using android
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post
    I downloaded it and tried it, works except for uploading, no matter what I do it just wont upload just sits there

using android
    I can tell you how it works on my EVO4 G.
    1 Bring up program and hit record option.
    2 On right side hit middle red button, it will chime
    3 Hit the button above that looks like 2 arrows
    4 In bottom left corner choose where you have set to download video (I choose my home email address)
    5 When you stop recording it automatically uploads to home and saves to phone also.

I hope that helps. It works for me.
    Last edited by maustin195; 03-04-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maustin195 View Post
    I can tell you how it works on my EVO4 G.
    1 Bring up program and hit record option.
    2 On right side hit middle red button, it will chime
    3 Hit the button above that looks like 2 arrows
    4 In bottom left corner choose where you have set to download video (I choose my home email address)
    5 When you stop recording it automatically uploads to home and saves to phone also.

I hope that helps. It works for me.
    same, same, no mater what I try it says you have to upload it first, when i try to upload it, it stalls
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Unhappy Just wondering

Can you log online to your Qik Home Page? Not sure if this will help but noticed - this under the Help section.

Important notification for your HTC EVO 4G device
    Qik Team
    posted this on Nov-11 2010 17:09

Qik wants to thank all you EVO users for your patience in waiting for the new firmware update for the phone.
    We (and other camera apps out there) seem to be having compatibility issues with software version 3.30.651.2 on EVO devices.
    We'll continue to keep you posted.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Issues with EVO 4G v4.60.2?
    Wesley Qik
    posted this on Feb-25 19:55

To all EVO 4G users experiencing issues with v4.60.2 or older,
    We are pleased to inform you that we have been working on many of the issues users have been reporting and have an unreleased version for you all. To get the unreleased version, simply submit a ticket at http://support.qik.com with the title: "Request for EVO unreleased version" and we will send it to you.

Chap
    Last edited by Chap; 03-04-2011 at 09:52 PM.

XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

yep i can

its not a EVO phone

its a 3g Motorola droid

ill keep working on it, if not, oh well it cost me nothing to try it
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus