• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

secure video upload for OC encounters

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i remember being part of a discussion thread a while back in regards to live internet upload of video. i just found, and tested an app on my droid x that works great. i'm sure some of you already know about this, but it is www.qik.com. the apps are supported across multiple platforms.
you can upload video directly to twitter, facebook, youtube and others. actually, upload is the wrong term, you are actually streaming live and the video is saved on the interwebz. i think this will be a great tool for OC. especially considering the issues that some have had with law enforcement attempting to delete videos of recorders.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
i remember being part of a discussion thread a while back in regards to live internet upload of video. i just found, and tested an app on my droid x that works great. i'm sure some of you already know about this, but it is www.qik.com. the apps are supported across multiple platforms.
you can upload video directly to twitter, facebook, youtube and others. actually, upload is the wrong term, you are actually streaming live and the video is saved on the interwebz. i think this will be a great tool for OC. especially considering the issues that some have had with law enforcement attempting to delete videos of recorders.

+1. I've used it for other things and it seems to work fine.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
another positive aspect of this technology is that a LEO who might not think twice about deleting (destroying evidence) video or audio from a device, may hesitate before trying to delete it from an internet account. it may give them pause if you remind them that if they access your account without authorization, that becomes a federal crime.
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_unauthorized_access_computer_network_crime.htm

TheQ

another positive aspect of this technology is that a LEO who might not think twice about deleting (destroying evidence) video or audio from a device, may hesitate before trying to delete it from an internet account. it may give them pause if you remind them that if they access your account without authorization, that becomes a federal crime.
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_unauthorized_access_computer_network_crime.htm

Not to mention Act 53 of 1979 (MCL 752.791-797). I've been charged with it before, I know a bit about it ;)

IIRC, you can't delete the video off QIK's website unless you log in to the website. The phone app doesn't have the ability to delete the video from within the app itself (a plus!)

Chap

Thanks for the Qik link

Just downloaded it to my Iphone 3G phone. It works great, I played around with the live upload and it works perfectly. Thanks again.

I now have video capability :monkey on my phone as a side benefit. Best $2.99 I ever spent.

Chap

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
ouch, i guess nothing is free from apple... it's free in the android market. i wonder if you could have downloaded it directly from the qik website for free?

btw, congrats on the new babies, chap :)

Last edited:

Chap

Not free for Apple Iphones

ouch, i guess nothing is free from apple... it's free in the android market. i wonder if you could have downloaded it directly from the qik website for free?

I did go to the Qik website to ensure it would work for my older phone 3G. It does. :banana:

When you click on the download link for my 3G phone listed on the Qik website, it takes you to ITUNES Preview for this app.( $2.99 is worth it in my opinion. )

btw, congrats on the new babies, chap :)

Thanks, I just bought a holster for the little one (Ruger .380). I read a bunch on the subject, then decided on the K&D Pocket Defender Convertible 2-in-1.

I bought the IWB holster from SuperTuck CrossBreed for the XDm .45.

Running out of stuff to buy..........:(

Chap

Chap

Yes Live upload is possible

will it upload automatically? or do u need to push a button to send it when u r done?

Yes, if you have the "Live Mode" selected. It will upload as you video something to your Free Qik account. (as long as you have reception)

[video]http://support.qik.com/entries/327929-record-share[/video]

Basically it's an app so you need to open the program then hit one button to record. If you put it to "Live Mode" earlier then thats it. (Open app push one button)

Chap

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
will it upload automatically? or do u need to push a button to send it when u r done?

actually it uploads live. you just press record and you can see it come through online on your qik account. it's basically a mobile webcam app. you were one of the ones i was thinking of with the whole "LEO attempted erasures of evidence". :)

Bronson

One of these days I'm going to be debt free and upgrade to one of these fancy smarty phones and ya'll are going to have to school me in what the hell you're talking about.

Bronson

Onnie

Yes, if you have the "Live Mode" selected. It will upload as you video something to your Free Qik account. (as long as you have reception)

[video]http://support.qik.com/entries/327929-record-share[/video]

Basically it's an app so you need to open the program then hit one button to record. If you put it to "Live Mode" earlier then thats it. (Open app push one button)

Chap

I downloaded it and tried it, works except for uploading, no matter what I do it just wont upload just sits there

using android

maustin195

I downloaded it and tried it, works except for uploading, no matter what I do it just wont upload just sits there

using android

I can tell you how it works on my EVO4 G.
1 Bring up program and hit record option.
2 On right side hit middle red button, it will chime
3 Hit the button above that looks like 2 arrows
4 In bottom left corner choose where you have set to download video (I choose my home email address)
5 When you stop recording it automatically uploads to home and saves to phone also.

I hope that helps. It works for me.

Last edited:

Onnie

I can tell you how it works on my EVO4 G.
1 Bring up program and hit record option.
2 On right side hit middle red button, it will chime
3 Hit the button above that looks like 2 arrows
4 In bottom left corner choose where you have set to download video (I choose my home email address)
5 When you stop recording it automatically uploads to home and saves to phone also.

I hope that helps. It works for me.

same, same, no mater what I try it says you have to upload it first, when i try to upload it, it stalls

Chap

Just wondering

Can you log online to your Qik Home Page? Not sure if this will help but noticed - this under the Help section.

Important notification for your HTC EVO 4G device
Qik Team
posted this on Nov-11 2010 17:09

Qik wants to thank all you EVO users for your patience in waiting for the new firmware update for the phone.
We (and other camera apps out there) seem to be having compatibility issues with software version 3.30.651.2 on EVO devices.
We'll continue to keep you posted.

Issues with EVO 4G v4.60.2?
Wesley Qik
posted this on Feb-25 19:55

To all EVO 4G users experiencing issues with v4.60.2 or older,
We are pleased to inform you that we have been working on many of the issues users have been reporting and have an unreleased version for you all. To get the unreleased version, simply submit a ticket at http://support.qik.com with the title: "Request for EVO unreleased version" and we will send it to you.

Chap

Last edited:

Onnie

yep i can

its not a EVO phone

its a 3g Motorola droid

ill keep working on it, if not, oh well it cost me nothing to try it