Thread: Illinois a.g. Wants state police to divulge names and addresses of gun owners to a.p.

Illinois a.g. Wants state police to divulge names and addresses of gun owners to a.p.

You heard right. This was posted in the "Illinois" sub-forum, but I believe everyone in the OCDO and gun rights community should know about this.

From "Illinois State Rifle Association":
    Lisa Madigan: ISP must release names of FOID holders
    SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

State police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

But Madigan's public access counselor released a letter Monday night saying the information should be public.

The Associated Press had requested the list of FOID cardholders but state police said that would violate the privacy of gun owners. The attorney general's office ruled that argument invalid. ...

Read the whole story @ Chicago Breaking News.

Posted Tue Mar 1 13:38:04 CST 2011

This is very, very dangerous.

Women, who are trying to avoid an abusive ex will be exposed.

Criminals will know exactly which citizens to target to acquire firearms.
    Last edited by T Dubya; 03-02-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Thumbs down

I don't think some people think about the full ramifications of their statements or actions before they commence.
    It is just a further example of why we should not allow the government to compile databases like this.

This is absolutely ridiculous. How is releasing the names of gun owners to the AP not a violation of privacy? Why would the AP even need the names of gun owners in Illinois? What point does it serve, other than to make them possible targets of criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    You heard right. This was posted in the "Illinois" sub-forum, but I believe everyone in the OCDO and gun rights community should know about this.

From "Illinois State Rifle Association":
    Lisa Madigan: ISP must release names of FOID holders
    SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

State police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

But Madigan's public access counselor released a letter Monday night saying the information should be public.

The Associated Press had requested the list of FOID cardholders but state police said that would violate the privacy of gun owners. The attorney general's office ruled that argument invalid. ...

Read the whole story @ Chicago Breaking News.

Posted Tue Mar 1 13:38:04 CST 2011
    Can anyone say it is time to remove the AG from office? And any future office she might aspire to?
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Illinois state police vs. attorney general.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Kudos to the state police.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

If the state publishes a list of gun owners, Republican Rep. Ron Stephens said, "You are by design also publishing a list of everyone who doesn't" carry a firearm.
    The Illinois Firearms Owners Identification Card does not allow anyone to carry a firearm in the state of Illinois. It is merely a license that allows a "citizen" of Illinois to buy and keep firearms.

Im glad I left that state almost 10 years ago.

Glad to see LE standing up for our rights to privacy even if the attorneys won't. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Can anyone say it is time to remove the AG from office? And any future office she might aspire to?
    +1. Best way to defeat her is either at the polls or by official eviction from office.

When are folks from Illinois going to take their state back from the hands of the crooks they keep electing to office?

Oh, wait...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

The (political) problem with Illinois

The problem they have is the same as in New York and Massachusetts. The biggest voting population is located in one city, where liberals/unions usually rule. In New York state 8.2 million of 19.5 million (2009 numbers) total live in New Cork City. With numbers like this it is almost impossible to do anything at the state level that the city doesn't want.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsgeek View Post
    The problem they have is the same as in New York and Massachusetts. The biggest voting population is located in one city, where liberals/unions usually rule. In New York state 8.2 million of 19.5 million (2009 numbers) total live in New Cork City. With numbers like this it is almost impossible to do anything at the state level that the city doesn't want.
    City officials are elected by the people. State officials are elected by the people. My point in my previous point is that the people are getting what they want. Until the people get fed up with the corruption they keep electing into office, they'll continue to reap the ravages of the corruption they deserve.

If I lived in either rurual IL or NY, I'd move to some other state. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for conservatives in either of those two states, or CA for that matter, to keep watching the libs foul everything up all the time.

Oh, wait... That's right. President Obama spent us billions into debt in a pathetically misguided attempt to help us out of an economic dip, and would up turning it into a full-blow recession in the process. Now he's asking for billions more, not to secure our souther border against the Mexican drugloads, but to "help Mexico help itself."

So, yes, I can imagine how frustrating it is to live under the rule of arrogant, idiotic leaders whom the people have elected.
    Last edited by since9; 03-03-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Apparently, there are no IQ or common sense tests required to become the Illinois State Attorney General.

It's nice to see the Illinois State Police is refusing to turn over such potentially dangerous information.

Perhaps someone might sit Ms. Madigan down and explain to her she lives in America, not North Korea.

While searching more about her, I ran across this, from Family Education's NameLab:

"Last name origin & meaning:

Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Madagáin ‘descendant of Madagán’, from Madadhán, a personal name meaning ‘little dog’. This name occurs chiefly in western Ireland."

Here's a second opinion, from BabyNames.com:

"The meaning of the name Madigan is Dog, Mastiff."
    Last edited by since9; 03-03-2011 at 04:20 PM.

It is about time to remove the AG from office.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

As many times as we take LE to task in this forum, here is a case of them, at least the top dog(s), having a sense of right to privacy, so I also have to say "Kudos" to the Illinois State Police.

Yeah it sounds so simple . However , when the Governor was elected this last time , he only won 3 counties out of 102. The biggest win was in Cook ( who could have guessed ) where Chicago is.

This is what we have to fight against and near impossible to win.

Man how I wish we could get rid of Chicago!!!

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Apparently, there are no IQ or common sense tests required to become the Illinois State Attorney General.
    Duh.

It's Illinois.

It's who you know. Who you owe. Who you blow. Gov Ryan might just get out of prison before Gov Blowjobavich gets thrown in.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Duplicate Thread

Duplicate Thread

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    City officials are elected by the people.
    In Chicago they're elected by STUPID people.

How otherwise can you explain the election and repeated reelection as mayor, by people who profess to fear and hate the Chicago Police Department for its racism, corruption and brutality, of a man who as State's Attorney, used confessions obtained under torture by those same police? It's like French Jews voting for Klaus Barbie as Mayor of Lyon.

Illinois is the way it is because of Chicago.

Chicago is the way it is because the people who live there LIKE it that way.