• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois a.g. Wants state police to divulge names and addresses of gun owners to a.p.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
You heard right. This was posted in the "Illinois" sub-forum, but I believe everyone in the OCDO and gun rights community should know about this.

From "Illinois State Rifle Association":
Lisa Madigan: ISP must release names of FOID holders
SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

State police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

But Madigan's public access counselor released a letter Monday night saying the information should be public.

The Associated Press had requested the list of FOID cardholders but state police said that would violate the privacy of gun owners. The attorney general's office ruled that argument invalid. ...

Read the whole story @ Chicago Breaking News.

Posted Tue Mar 1 13:38:04 CST 2011

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
This is very, very dangerous.

Women, who are trying to avoid an abusive ex will be exposed.

Criminals will know exactly which citizens to target to acquire firearms.

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I don't think some people think about the full ramifications of their statements or actions before they commence.
It is just a further example of why we should not allow the government to compile databases like this.

irish52084

This is absolutely ridiculous. How is releasing the names of gun owners to the AP not a violation of privacy? Why would the AP even need the names of gun owners in Illinois? What point does it serve, other than to make them possible targets of criminals?

OldCurlyWolf

You heard right. This was posted in the "Illinois" sub-forum, but I believe everyone in the OCDO and gun rights community should know about this.

From "Illinois State Rifle Association":
Lisa Madigan: ISP must release names of FOID holders
SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

State police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

But Madigan's public access counselor released a letter Monday night saying the information should be public.

The Associated Press had requested the list of FOID cardholders but state police said that would violate the privacy of gun owners. The attorney general's office ruled that argument invalid. ...

Read the whole story @ Chicago Breaking News.

Posted Tue Mar 1 13:38:04 CST 2011

Can anyone say it is time to remove the AG from office? And any future office she might aspire to?:cuss:

flb_78

If the state publishes a list of gun owners, Republican Rep. Ron Stephens said, "You are by design also publishing a list of everyone who doesn't" carry a firearm.

The Illinois Firearms Owners Identification Card does not allow anyone to carry a firearm in the state of Illinois. It is merely a license that allows a "citizen" of Illinois to buy and keep firearms.

Im glad I left that state almost 10 years ago.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Can anyone say it is time to remove the AG from office? And any future office she might aspire to?:cuss:

+1. Best way to defeat her is either at the polls or by official eviction from office.

When are folks from Illinois going to take their state back from the hands of the crooks they keep electing to office?

Oh, wait...

ldsgeek

The (political) problem with Illinois

The problem they have is the same as in New York and Massachusetts. The biggest voting population is located in one city, where liberals/unions usually rule. In New York state 8.2 million of 19.5 million (2009 numbers) total live in New Cork City. With numbers like this it is almost impossible to do anything at the state level that the city doesn't want.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The problem they have is the same as in New York and Massachusetts. The biggest voting population is located in one city, where liberals/unions usually rule. In New York state 8.2 million of 19.5 million (2009 numbers) total live in New Cork City. With numbers like this it is almost impossible to do anything at the state level that the city doesn't want.

City officials are elected by the people. State officials are elected by the people. My point in my previous point is that the people are getting what they want. Until the people get fed up with the corruption they keep electing into office, they'll continue to reap the ravages of the corruption they deserve.

If I lived in either rurual IL or NY, I'd move to some other state. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for conservatives in either of those two states, or CA for that matter, to keep watching the libs foul everything up all the time.

Oh, wait... That's right. President Obama spent us billions into debt in a pathetically misguided attempt to help us out of an economic dip, and would up turning it into a full-blow recession in the process. Now he's asking for billions more, not to secure our souther border against the Mexican drugloads, but to "help Mexico help itself."

So, yes, I can imagine how frustrating it is to live under the rule of arrogant, idiotic leaders whom the people have elected.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Apparently, there are no IQ or common sense tests required to become the Illinois State Attorney General.

It's nice to see the Illinois State Police is refusing to turn over such potentially dangerous information.

Perhaps someone might sit Ms. Madigan down and explain to her she lives in America, not North Korea.

While searching more about her, I ran across this, from Family Education's NameLab:

"Last name origin & meaning:

Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Madagáin ‘descendant of Madagán’, from Madadhán, a personal name meaning ‘little dog’. This name occurs chiefly in western Ireland."

Here's a second opinion, from BabyNames.com:

"The meaning of the name Madigan is Dog, Mastiff."

Last edited:

xd shooter

As many times as we take LE to task in this forum, here is a case of them, at least the top dog(s), having a sense of right to privacy, so I also have to say "Kudos" to the Illinois State Police.

jayspapa

Yeah it sounds so simple . However , when the Governor was elected this last time , he only won 3 counties out of 102. The biggest win was in Cook ( who could have guessed ) where Chicago is.

This is what we have to fight against and near impossible to win.

Man how I wish we could get rid of Chicago!!!

HandyHamlet

Apparently, there are no IQ or common sense tests required to become the Illinois State Attorney General.

Duh.

It's Illinois.

It's who you know. Who you owe. Who you blow. Gov Ryan might just get out of prison before Gov Blowjobavich gets thrown in.

:monkey