• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Old vs. New/Modern ammo...dont make em like they used to?

j4l

Ref. the 845 post, and what I noticed about the 230 grain fmj blazers Id fired:

Here's a pair of slugs from some old Army-issue .45 230 fmj from about 15 yrs or so ago, that I still had around..

Note the coloration, and the thickness of the jacket...deformation was from having been fired into a tree.

DSCN1404.jpg

fmj1.jpg

One of the Blazer slugs from yesterday...
fmj3.jpg

and side-by-side
fmj2.jpg

In the hand, the Blazer slugs are lighter-feeling, and softer. easy to dent/flatten
The old Army ball rounds- feel heavier in the hand, more solid,somehow...

Not sure one is better/worse than the other. just an odd observation

irish52084

My guess would be that the blaser jacket is much thinner, leading to increased deformation. I've seen similar deformation to the blaser several times, but usually on "economy" ammo. It's not really a concern to me, unless I planned on using fmj as defensive ammo, which I wouldn't.

CO-Joe

There are varying levels of lead hardness, depending on the particular chemical makeup of the alloy. That's probably more of a factor than jacket thickness.