Thread: Please check your legal weapons - Sentara Port Warwick Medical Center - Newport News

Please check your legal weapons - Sentara Port Warwick Medical Center - Newport News

Saw this today at the Sentara Port Warwick medical center in Newport News today. I wonder how many people have actually handed over their weapons. What is a "licensed gun" in Virginia anyway, huh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no legal weapons.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	5337  

Quote Originally Posted by HardChrome View Post
    Saw this today at the Sentara Port Warwick medical center in Newport News today. I wonder how many people have actually handed over their weapons. What is a "licensed gun" in Virginia anyway, huh?
    "What is a "licensed gun" in Virginia anyway," I don't know..... Maybe for out of state people? lol

licensed gun=registered gun?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-02-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    My gun doesn't know how to drive!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I don't own any licensed guns, so what do I do?

My gun is not old enough to get any license.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    My gun is not old enough to get any license.
    C&R License :P ?
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

Oh yea I do have a C&R and one of them old 1891/30 guys but it failed the written test. It never learned to read.

hrmp! the hospital does not want you messing with their profits. If a mad gunman were to target that location, there would be no one armed to stop his rampage, thus.. more victims for the hospital to treat...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    hrmp! the hospital does not want you messing with their profits. If a mad gunman were to target that location, there would be no one armed to stop his rampage, thus.. more victims for the hospital to treat...
    You won't have to remind me not to go to this hospital and give them money.

I took my girlfriend there 2 weeks ago and saw that same sign.... I was not amused.

I had the same question... What is a licensed gun in virginia? a Class III M16? a Mk1?

I was half tempted to walk in CC to avoid ruckus, but i wanted to see my GF, so i just locked it away in my vehicle....which i HATE doing

Hmmm my guns cant drive either. Nor are they weapons.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Postcard Sent

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

My wife and I use this facility often, and I have tried to find the "Security Office", but it's accesible only from the ambulance entrance, which requires an access card to enter thru a locked door.

However, while we conduct our business, I keep an eye out for any "Security Personnel". so that I may comply with the sign.

I have never seen any.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    my wife and i use this facility often, and i have tried to find the "security office", but it's accesible only from the ambulance entrance, which requires an access card to enter thru a locked door.

However, while we conduct our business, i keep an eye out for any "security personnel". So that i may comply with the sign.

I have never seen any.
    Last edited by Citizen; 03-03-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    I keep an eye out for any "Security Personnel". so that I may comply with the sign. I have never seen any.
    Maybe the SIGN is their security "plan"
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Well I happen to know a little about Sentara. Don't ask, I'm not telling.

As a private corporation, they are entitled to have their rules, for employees and property. Their security is also unarmed. Not sure if they get background checked.

I would be extremely reluctant to hand over a firearm to private unarmed security.

OTOH I think if you get caught you can count on being asked to leave first rather than having the LEOs called on you, so there is a safety margin before getting arrested.

I am glad that postcard was sent. As anal as they are about being right, they might just change that sign to one that is not incorrect. I liken them to a kinder, gentler form of Nazi Germany. All the germanic efficiency and order without that pesky racism. But there is a hint of world health care domination.

Good luck getting that policy changed.

Oh, remember a few months ago, there was a shooting (or two) in their parking lot. I wonder if all the other facilities are being posted?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I am glad that postcard was sent.
    I found they go through many hands and are SAVED. A Logan's manager said my postcard was copied and mailed to many managers and was the root of many meetings.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Oh, remember a few months ago, there was a shooting (or two) in their parking lot. I wonder if all the other facilities are being posted?
    I believe this incident was related to a resturant/club which is across the street. The patrons use the (Sentara) parking lot. The sign in question predates this incident by at least two years.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Check my gun? I checked it before I left the house. It was fine, thanks

As a private corporation, they are entitled to have their rules, for employees and property. Their security is also unarmed. Not sure if they get background checked.

I would be extremely reluctant to hand over a firearm to private unarmed security.
    I can see the story now.

Security Officer Shot By HandGun
    Today while handling a checked handgun a local Security Officer was severely wounded. Owner has been arrested and charged with malicious wounding and reckless endangerment for leaving handgun with untrained personnel. Security Officer to seek compensation for lost wages and pain and suffering.

I don't think I'll be turning over my gun to ANYONE!
    Last edited by GrayGhost; 03-04-2011 at 01:59 PM.