• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snyder v. Phelps

markm

Hello all,

Does the SCOTUS ruling in Snyder v. Phelps have repercussions for UOCers?

I believe it does.

Westboro Baptist Church's deplorable and sick campaign of picketing the funerals of military personel killed while serving our country is a blatant SIN (IMHO). Good Christians do not act as the Westboro Baptist Church does. Good Christians don't use hatefull posters to slander people.

However, today's SCOTUS ruling is spot-on.

""As a nation we have chosen a different course - to protect even hurtful speech on public issues to ensure that we do not stifle public debate," Roberts said. "
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/02/AR2011030202548.html
or,
http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/03/02/Westboro_Wins_Supreme_Court_Case/

I learned early on that this website is more about 1A and 4A than 2A.

Yeah, our goal is "constitutional carry" for all law-abiding citizens (IMHO); but, we use our 1A rights to promote our cause.

With this case, we should double-down on our efforts to sue every police officer who violates our 1A, 2A, and 4A rights when they illegally detain or arrest people who are following the law, to the "T".

Every time you UOC in Kali, you should have literature that promotes 1A, 2A, and 4A. For the record, make sure you tell the cop who violates your civil rights, and the law, that you are using your 1A rights to promote 2A and to demand that cops follow 4A case law.

We have another "arrow in our quiver" when we use the legal system to force LEO to follow the law. It does not matter how many women use the false claim that "the children are scared" or "the children will be harmed," because 1A trumps all of that hogwash.

In another thread on this site, a news story was posted about a person who was attempting suicide, and the police used their discretion not to charge the suicidal man with gun crimes that he committed. We need to make any 1A, 2A, and 4A violation by LEO so financially painful that LEO will decide to use much more "discretion" when detaining law-abiding citizens.

Thank you Jose Diaz, El Sensei, Mike, Mathew St. John, Thesues, et allia, for fighting the good legal battle on our behalf. Thank you Jason Davis.

Just my opinion.

markm

devildoc5

While categorically you are correct, the problem is this main stream brainwashing that has occured for the last 75 or so years.

The one that says "they were all drunk when they wrote 2A...they didn't mean it. They couldn't have cause guns are so evil!"

Unfortunately due to this we have tougher laws and restrictions against 2A than any other right.

Remember criminals don't use words and speech to commit crimes (verbal assault, verbal harrasment, and threats are apparently non existent)

They use guns and so guns must be all bad...

Born2Lose

The freedom of speech applies to unpopular, disenting, etc speech. Non-offensive speech needs no protection.

EDIT: I only write speech once but it shows up twice?

Last edited: