• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Was Racking My Brain and...

DooFster

I came up with a question to bring to the table:

Is it illegal for me to have a shoulder-holster instead of a waist-level belt holster, or a drop-leg holster?

Please see the attachment...

Attachments

• B840F1.jpg
    B840F1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 101

DooFster

Answering your questions (since I've been issued a holster like this):

1.) It isn't concealed - it's an external holster...

2.) The muzzle pointed at the user(s) preference...

Last edited:

OC KIMBER

I came up with a question to bring to the table:

Is it illegal for me to have a shoulder-holster instead of a waist-level belt holster, or a drop-leg holster?

Please see the attachment...

12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of
being concealed upon the person.
(2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(f) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

That said I have seen many people using thigh rigs but always with an attachment to there belt as far as shoulder holsters go you might get away with it if it has an attachment to your belt and then again, they may say your arm was concealing it. I would not want to be the crash test dummy on this one.

Gundude

The penal code usually tells what is illegal. pc 12025 (f) is just a clarification of what's concealed and what isn't. I can't find anything about shoulder holsters, so I would think it's ok as long as your shirt of jacket doesn't cover it. Most shoulder rigs have a strap to the belt to keep things from flopping around.
Don't confuse "not visible" with concealed. Sitting in a car....standing behind a 5 ft wall.
I carry my pmk at 3 o'clock and when I put my hand in my pocket, it's not visible from the front.

OC KIMBER

I carry my pmk at 3 o'clock and when I put my hand in my pocket, it's not visible from the front.
I will concede to you my statement on belt attachment but the law often looks to the dictionary for clarification on words, as you stated when you put your hands in your pockets your gun is not visible I.E your arm covers it. I know it's just a technicality but its one that could get you a ride downtown

con·ceal   
–verb (used with object)
1. to hide; withdraw or remove from observation; cover or keep from sight:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Answering your questions (since I've been issued a holster like this):

1.) It isn't concealed - it's an external holster...

2.) The muzzle pointed at the user(s) preference...

It was my hope that you would be able to draw your own conclusions about the wisdom of carrying in a shoulder holster. Since a shoulder holster absent any covering garment is not concealing the presense of the firearm, it is not illegal. However, the direction that a shoulder holster points the muzzle is something that I believe we should all be conscious of. It is in my opinion, that without consideration of muzzle discipline, you should not use a shoulder holster while openly carrying.

Gundude

I will concede to you my statement on belt attachment but the law often looks to the dictionary for clarification on words, as you stated when you put your hands in your pockets your gun is not visible I.E your arm covers it. I know it's just a technicality but its one that could get you a ride downtown

con·ceal   
–verb (used with object)
1. to hide; withdraw or remove from observation; cover or keep from sight:

I guess I need a "on top my head" holster.

Born2Lose

I guess I need a "on top my head" holster.
+1
When I'm carrying my XD9SC (a pretty small gun) at 3 o'clock and I'm walking my arm naturally swings. Are you trying to say every time that my arm swings in front of the pistol that it's concealed? I thinketh not. If that was considered "concealed" then we would have all been hauled to the clink long ago.

DooFster

I COULD point it 45-down and draw it from the side obviously.

So there's no law saying I CAN'T but there's no law saying I CAN?? I should bring this up to local PD...

This exact holster does not have the ability to be hooked to my belt unless I'm wearing my full set of armor plating (AD USAF) and other combat gear...

DooFster

Now that I completely look more in-depth at the attachment, you can't adjust the holster (must be a newer model than what I was issued). It looks as if it points straight-down from the user.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
So there's no law saying I CAN'T but there's no law saying I CAN?? I should bring this up to local PD...

I can't see any reason why you should bring anything up to the local PD. Unless you are determined to organize an event where multiple participants are involved, I wouldn't bother creating any more resistance than is already out there. This goes back to contacting the police for legal advice-it's not their specialty and most of them aren't very good at it outside of reading 'Miranda'.