• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LaRoque introduces concealed carry bill

rotorhead

Might as well tack on higher pay raises for legislators as well as immunity from getting caught with hookers. I'm sure this bill will be a perfect one to tack stuff onto, knowing it'll pass no matter what.

k-town river rat

LaRouqe is offers a Proposed Committee Substitute on carry bill

I don't know if anyone has been following the comment section of this article, but here is LaRouqe's response.

It is my intent to offer a PCS (Proposed Committee Substitute) on the Bill in committee that will include everyone with a Conceal Carry Permit. The question is will those who have let their feelings known on here do the same with others in the legislature or will they just stop at this point?

Observationdeck...Are you willing to contact legislators and ask them for their support or just sit on your keyboard and hope someone else will do it?

jag06

I don't know if anyone has been following the comment section of this article, but here is LaRouqe's response.

It is my intent to offer a PCS (Proposed Committee Substitute) on the Bill in committee that will include everyone with a Conceal Carry Permit. The question is will those who have let their feelings known on here do the same with others in the legislature or will they just stop at this point?

Observationdeck...Are you willing to contact legislators and ask them for their support or just sit on your keyboard and hope someone else will do it?

I am a little confused now, in the article he says the bill will allow anyone elected or appointed to carry anywhere in the state not prohibited by federal law, and now he comments on the article that the bill will include all permit holders and not just elected officials. Am I reading that right?

Well I just answered it for myself, found this response where he is responding to a comment on there,

"C66...It would include everyone with a conceal carry permit (CCP). The only way I know of to insure against those that should not be allowed is through a background check which is what the sheriff does when you apply for a CCP. Also the CCP requires that you go to the range and prove you can operate your weapon with accuracy.

Peacefuloldman...Open carry is legal in our state and you should not be harassed if you wear your gun on your hip and walk down Queen Street. The "armed to the terror of the public" could be addressed even though it should not apply to anyone who is not acting in a manner that should cause fear. Just having your weapon on you in fine based on what I have read. The state of emergency issue could be addressed as well. All are good points."

I also saw another one of his replies where he said if he can get enough support the bill he wants to propose will include all permit holders. So the guy wants to get all permit holders the ability to carry anywhere in the state not prohibited by federal law, and he recognizes that OC is legal, and thinks GATTOTP needs to be addressed as well as the state of emergency issue, or at least said it could be addressed. Seems like an ok guy to me at this point, he has my support if I understand what he wants to do correctly.

tak2w

Ready to fire off some emails....

Who should we contact to support this change LaRogue has introduced? Members of a certain (sub)committee, our reps, all legislators???

rotorhead

"C66...It would include everyone with a conceal carry permit (CCP). The only way I know of to insure against those that should not be allowed is through a background check which is what the sheriff does when you apply for a CCP. Also the CCP requires that you go to the range and prove you can operate your weapon with accuracy.

Sadly we're hearing more and more of this- that only CHP holders are worthy of carrying because at least they "have to go to a range and prove you can operate your weapon with accuracy"...and of course greased the local Sheriff's palms with $90 (non-refundable) bucks for the permit along with whatever finger print charges they want to tack on, as well as kept some Rambo sustained with his $100 fee for classes.

Psst, Mr LaRoque...you are aware the everyone has to go through a background check to get a NC Pistol Purchase Permit too, right?

Last edited:

cricketdad

Where did you get that this is LaRoque's response? It was posted by goodneighbor and on goodneighbors page this is what I found:
About Me: We are a group of Lenoir County citizens who are opposed to Forced Annexation.

k-town river rat

Where did you get that this is LaRoque's response? It was posted by goodneighbor and on goodneighbors page this is what I found:
About Me: We are a group of Lenoir County citizens who are opposed to Forced Annexation.

goodneighbors is Stephen LaRoque. He lives in Kinston and I do to. He posts on lot on different political topics on kinston.com. Before he was elected, he was heading a team to try to stop forced annexation in Kinston. Now that he has been elected, he is trying to enact laws against forced annexation.

His conceal carry bill is originally only for elected officials. After he read some of the comments, he has said he would offer a PCS. LaRoque is an ok guy, good person to have on our side, but he needs a little guidance to our way of thinking. He really does want to try to do what his voters want.

cricketdad

goodneighbors is Stephen LaRoque. He lives in Kinston and I do to. He posts on lot on different political topics on kinston.com. Before he was elected, he was heading a team to try to stop forced annexation in Kinston. Now that he has been elected, he is trying to enact laws against forced annexation.

His conceal carry bill is originally only for elected officials. After he read some of the comments, he has said he would offer a PCS. LaRoque is an ok guy, good person to have on our side, but he needs a little guidance to our way of thinking. He really does want to try to do what his voters want.

Thanks for the reply. See what I can do.

chiefjason

Who should we contact to support this change LaRogue has introduced? Members of a certain (sub)committee, our reps, all legislators???

Here is the official page for the bill. On the bottom it will tell where the bill is located, House, committee, etc.
Right now there does not appear to be any changes to the wording of the bill.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascrip...pl?Session=2011&BillID=hb+184&submitButton=Go

Is it just me or has the bill lost Co sponsors? I might be confusing it with others though.

rotorhead

On a related side note, I think what burns my gut the most about bills like this is that they get introduced under the assumption that elected officials are somehow in more danger than the average citizen.

I would challenge anyone to produce evidence showing that the number of elected officials that were killed or attacked in any given year exceeded those of average citizens. This would go for any level- state, federal, county, town, etc.

While I can understand that this bill was introduced by someone who seemingly has great visions for all gun owners, you can bet that what actually passes in the end will, yet again, leave average gun owners left out. The end result of this legislation will be that elected officials will be even further protected, and the average citizen's status will remain unchanged.