Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: On the shoulder? On the hip?

  1. #1
    McX
    Guest

    On the shoulder? On the hip?

    On the shoulder? on the hip? as warmer weather approaches, and i can shed my coat, i am weighing my options. i wish to poll those assembled. i can go either or, just want your thoughts and opinions. dont want to look too extreme, nor scare the public, and i definitely want to comply. but at my age, a shoulder rig does help to hold the pants up.

  2. #2
    Regular Member civilwarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    elkhorn wi
    Posts
    197
    i think its all up to you.. i prefer hip as i feel i can draw faster and i dont have to worry about anyone saying its hidden by my arm or shirt... Of course the fact that my pistol is hard to find holsters for plays a big part in that as well.

  3. #3
    McX
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by civilwarguy View Post
    i think its all up to you.. i prefer hip as i feel i can draw faster and i dont have to worry about anyone saying its hidden by my arm or shirt... Of course the fact that my pistol is hard to find holsters for plays a big part in that as well.
    yeah, that's what i'm sweating too; the visible from 3 sides thing. i need a consultation with the Chairman!

    added on edit; either way it will match my shoes.
    Last edited by McX; 03-02-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: add in's

  4. #4
    Regular Member civilwarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    elkhorn wi
    Posts
    197
    If you still have a hard time deciding let me know and i will take the gun off your hands so you dont have to worry about making tough choices

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Central Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by civilwarguy View Post
    If you still have a hard time deciding let me know and i will take the gun off your hands so you dont have to worry about making tough choices
    Somewhere I read this:
    If a shoulder holster carries the gun horizontally, then it should be covered (i.e.) concealed. If it is a vertical hold, then it can be open carry.
    It is a matter of etiquette. It is not "polite" (nor safe) to sweep someone with a muzzle and a horizontal hold is advertising the muzzle.

    ok gang, tear me another new one on this.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Big Dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Illinois & Wisconsin
    Posts
    144
    phred, I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one!

    The 4 rules I learned are:

    1.All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.

    2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)

    3.Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.

    4.Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.


    I don't see how you can draw from a horizontal rig with out covering "something" behind you AND probably your arm as well.

  7. #7
    McX
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    Somewhere I read this:
    If a shoulder holster carries the gun horizontally, then it should be covered (i.e.) concealed. If it is a vertical hold, then it can be open carry.
    It is a matter of etiquette. It is not "polite" (nor safe) to sweep someone with a muzzle and a horizontal hold is advertising the muzzle.

    ok gang, tear me another new one on this.
    it would be vertical. probably mostly just to events, i dont got the coin to go anywhere else. gasp! now someone wants MY guns!

  8. #8
    Regular Member 1FASTC4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tomahawk
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    Somewhere I read this:
    . It is not "polite" (nor safe) to sweep someone with a muzzle and a horizontal hold is advertising the muzzle.

    .
    Hmm excellent point.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    Well I think "on the hip" is more "proper". But it really doesn't matter to me. Carry however you want, that's what your creator gave you a whole body for and a brain to fabricate tools and materials to make things more comfortable.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

  10. #10
    Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    Well I think "on the hip" is more "proper". But it really doesn't matter to me. Carry however you want, that's what your creator gave you a whole body for and a brain to fabricate tools and materials to make things more comfortable.
    Hey carry on on your hip, one on from your shoulder, one on your ankle and on in the brief case for all it matters. If you look like a "good guy" and the cattle still get startled oh well. Personally I like the hip just faster TTR (Time Till Ready). I have a 5.11 tactical vest that I wear to the range once in awhile. Lets me hold everything I need without having to walk to the table every other mag. It's funny the looks I get some times when wearing this. Once someone said (as I stopped at a gas station by the range) "where are the rest of your guys?" I just laughed and walked away.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

  11. #11
    Regular Member Pyro01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Menomonie, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    202
    I have a vertical shoulder houlster and a hip holster, and since I only have one pistol I can open carry it is far more comfortable to use the shoulder holster. My gun weighs 69.6 oz. unloaded, and so carrying that on my hip starts to weigh down after a while, especially if you don't have a proper belt on. I've seen some really nice leather shoulder houlsters for this gun and I wish I had 200 bucks to drop on it. When I go hunting with it I use a bandolier-style holster.

    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    I prefer to wear my hip holster.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Central Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    768
    I'll wear a shoulder holster when I am trout fishing on streams or big game hunting with a T/C or Super Redhawk/Blackhawk and they are in vertical holsters. Otherwise it's pretty much on the hip.

  14. #14
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068

    Cool What Works For Me

    Open Carry in Summer - pancake hip holster with shirt tucked in.
    Open Carry in Winter - (defer to concealed carry if outside - otherwise see Open Carry in Summer)

    Concealed Carry in Summer - T-shirt, pancake hip holster, long shirt open.
    Concealed Carry in Winter - Shirt buttoned, pancake hip holster - open sweater. Green Bay Packers jacket over all when outside. (And, yes, I do practice drawing while wearing the Packers Jacket)
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    542
    While I'm not a big fan of a shoulder holster unless your Don Johnson, I'm not too concerned to be sitting behind you at a restaurant. Just make sure you have a semi modern safe handgun in there! Extra points if you drive a Ferrari or have a pet alligator named after the king.


    Last edited by Jason in WI; 03-03-2011 at 09:30 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Central Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in WI View Post
    While I'm not a big fan of a shoulder holster unless your Don Johnson, I'm not too concerned to be sitting behind you at a restaurant. Just make sure you have a semi modern safe handgun in there! Extra points if you drive a Ferrari or have a pet alligator named after the king.
    ]
    The etiquette thing refers to whether or not the muzzle is visible as it is tucked under the arm in a horizontal holster. The out of sight-out if mind thing is very important. Anybody who is carrying a firearm should treat it as if it was loaded. Anybody who sees a person with a firearm needs to assume that the carrier knows and follows the safety rules. If we didn't assume that ourselves, how could we expect John Q Public to trust us when we carry. I personally would not like sitting behind a person if I was looking at the business end of a 45 caliber firearm. Cover it up and I am not reminded of it. I suppose if I was in an environment where I saw it all of time (maybe a detective squad room), I might get used to it and the "threat" would diminish. Kind of like the reason we open carry - to diffuse the public's reaction to firearms by LAC. I have learned to not place myself in the path of a bullet or in line with the muzzle of a gun.

  17. #17
    Regular Member oak1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    I would stick with a hip holster, but to each his own. I do hear you about the pants thing though.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    I have learned to not place myself in the path of a bullet or in line with the muzzle of a gun.
    Oh, I agree 100% with your first post Phred. Being sweeped with a muzzle is a big no-no. I'm just saying my comfort level might be different then most. It wouldn't be the best choice but If someone was across from me with a Miami Vice style shoulder rig, I wouldn't panic or cause a fuss. If the properly holstered handgun happens to go off while it's facing me, well it's just my luck! To me it would be like going outside and being struck by lightning, it happens but I'm not worried. All bets are off if Billy-Bob did that sweeeet trigger job though, so I hope anyone thinking about this style holster uses a proper duty style pistol!


    Come to think of it, it is wrong of me to suggest we bend or break any firearm rule on this forum since there are many people here who may be new to firearms in general, for that I apologize.



    So here is my PSA:

    Never, ever point a firearm (even unintentionally like in the style holster we are discussing) at anything you don't want DEAD or destroyed!


    And I'll add because people are still shooting themselves cleaning their gun:

    All; and I mean each and every firearm is loaded! If you think your firearm is empty your wrong! Unless your firearm is stripped down it's still loaded! Those sneaky bullets will jump back in when your not looking.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    phred, I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one!

    The 4 rules I learned are:

    1.All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.

    2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)

    3.Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.

    4.Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.


    I don't see how you can draw from a horizontal rig with out covering "something" behind you AND probably your arm as well.
    tell this to all the cops & federal agents that use Horizontal draw shoulder rigs. After all they are the professionals right .

    I prefer a small of Back Holster, or IWB Holster but would use a Horizontal Draw Shoulder rig if the situation presented itself. Depends of the weather & temps, heavy winter coat, sport coat, button down oversized shirt...
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 03-04-2011 at 01:09 AM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  20. #20
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249
    I am knew to O.C. so not so much from experiance just my thoughts...

    For comfort and easier access into small areas (narrow chairs, resturant booth, movie / theater seats, etc.) I prefer shoulder (vertical). For outdoors / dangerous areas and faster access I would go with the hip. I think a small indicater might also be the type of weapon. A long barrel revolver might be better on the hip where as a semi auto would be more applicable in a shoulder. I do agree that a hip is more O.C. compatible where a shoulder could be easier viewed as concealed.

    Outdoorsman1

  21. #21
    McX
    Guest
    10-4, i've resigned myself to on the hip, with one side of my pants sagging. but i take comfort in what our beloved former governor said: if you want to carry a gun in Wisconsin, wear it on your hip. so i guess it's 'hip' to be (there and) square.

  22. #22
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    10-4, i've resigned myself to on the hip, with one side of my pants sagging. but i take comfort in what our beloved former governor said: if you want to carry a gun in Wisconsin, wear it on your hip. so i guess it's 'hip' to be (there and) square.
    McX, if your pants are sagging, you have the wrong belt, or, have not tightened it enough. I hve learned this by experience.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  23. #23
    McX
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    McX, if your pants are sagging, you have the wrong belt, or, have not tightened it enough. I hve learned this by experience.
    if i tighten it any further it will cut off the blood flow to my head.......................oh, i see what your up to!

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    McX wears sagging pants to be cool
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    if i tighten it any further it will cut off the blood flow to my head...
    Then you'd fit right in with the protesters in Madison!
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •