• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the shoulder? On the hip?

M

McX

10-4, i've resigned myself to on the hip, with one side of my pants sagging. but i take comfort in what our beloved former governor said: if you want to carry a gun in Wisconsin, wear it on your hip. so i guess it's 'hip' to be (there and) square.

jpm84092

10-4, i've resigned myself to on the hip, with one side of my pants sagging. but i take comfort in what our beloved former governor said: if you want to carry a gun in Wisconsin, wear it on your hip. so i guess it's 'hip' to be (there and) square.

McX, if your pants are sagging, you have the wrong belt, or, have not tightened it enough. I hve learned this by experience.

M

McX

McX, if your pants are sagging, you have the wrong belt, or, have not tightened it enough. I hve learned this by experience.

if i tighten it any further it will cut off the blood flow to my head.......................oh, i see what your up to!

Captain Nemo

Hip or shoulder

It's not an issue at the present time in Wisconsin but when vehicle carry becomes a reality that will add a twist to the question. When sitting in a vehicle with seat belt attached quick access to a hip holder may be affected. A shoulder holster, not so much. If you use a high back side or pants holster you might as well carry a stick when strapped in a vehicle. On the other hand if a bad guy breaks the vehicle window a shoulder holster puts the weapon within his reach (if the wearer is right handed). Lots of things to consider but the choice is mostly personal. My pet peeve about a hip holster is chairs with arms on them. I've torn the belt loops off a number of pairs of pants because of them.

Last edited:

hardballer

I have carried both ways and if concealed carry were an option, I would; at times, chose the shoulder if necessary. As for open carry, it is just the hip. I like the way it carries and I like the presentation. Probably would carry that way concealed too for the most part.

As for the muzzle issue... the worst offenders are at gun shops. I cannot count the number of times I have told someone to keep that &%$# muzzle off of me. I do not like it.

Last edited:

ayce2

Doyle or Law?

Wear it on your hip was Doyles statement, Is there a law that says it has to be visible from three sides? Our sisters on the top of the page would not be legal. My wifes LCP on the hip in a black belt,pants and shirt is vitually invisible. Does that make it illegal?

Outdoorsman1

I wear two belts.. One to keep my pants up and another for the pistol... Pistol belt on the outside of the pants belt...

Outdoorsman.

Pyro01

I wear two belts.. One to keep my pants up and another for the pistol... Pistol belt on the outside of the pants belt...

Outdoorsman.

Thats what I do with mine, I have a shoulder holster for my revolver. I also have a bandolier holster, and a standard hip holster for it, but I think I prefer my shoulder holster the most for open carry, bandolier for hunting, and hip for when I feel like it. The hip holster still needs a tie for my leg because that revolver fits in their tight.