• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the shoulder? On the hip?

M

McX

On the shoulder? on the hip? as warmer weather approaches, and i can shed my coat, i am weighing my options. i wish to poll those assembled. i can go either or, just want your thoughts and opinions. dont want to look too extreme, nor scare the public, and i definitely want to comply. but at my age, a shoulder rig does help to hold the pants up.

civilwarguy

i think its all up to you.. i prefer hip as i feel i can draw faster and i dont have to worry about anyone saying its hidden by my arm or shirt... Of course the fact that my pistol is hard to find holsters for plays a big part in that as well.

M

McX

i think its all up to you.. i prefer hip as i feel i can draw faster and i dont have to worry about anyone saying its hidden by my arm or shirt... Of course the fact that my pistol is hard to find holsters for plays a big part in that as well.

yeah, that's what i'm sweating too; the visible from 3 sides thing. i need a consultation with the Chairman!

added on edit; either way it will match my shoes.

Last edited:

civilwarguy

If you still have a hard time deciding let me know and i will take the gun off your hands so you dont have to worry about making tough choices :lol:

phred

If you still have a hard time deciding let me know and i will take the gun off your hands so you dont have to worry about making tough choices :lol:

Somewhere I read this:
If a shoulder holster carries the gun horizontally, then it should be covered (i.e.) concealed. If it is a vertical hold, then it can be open carry.
It is a matter of etiquette. It is not "polite" (nor safe) to sweep someone with a muzzle and a horizontal hold is advertising the muzzle.

ok gang, tear me another new one on this.

Big Dipper

phred, I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one!

The 4 rules I learned are:

1.All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.

2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)

3.Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.

4.Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

I don't see how you can draw from a horizontal rig with out covering "something" behind you AND probably your arm as well.

M

McX

Somewhere I read this:
If a shoulder holster carries the gun horizontally, then it should be covered (i.e.) concealed. If it is a vertical hold, then it can be open carry.
It is a matter of etiquette. It is not "polite" (nor safe) to sweep someone with a muzzle and a horizontal hold is advertising the muzzle.

ok gang, tear me another new one on this.

it would be vertical. probably mostly just to events, i dont got the coin to go anywhere else. gasp! now someone wants MY guns!

Motofixxer

Well I think "on the hip" is more "proper". But it really doesn't matter to me. Carry however you want, that's what your creator gave you a whole body for and a brain to fabricate tools and materials to make things more comfortable.

protect our rights

Well I think "on the hip" is more "proper". But it really doesn't matter to me. Carry however you want, that's what your creator gave you a whole body for and a brain to fabricate tools and materials to make things more comfortable.

Hey carry on on your hip, one on from your shoulder, one on your ankle and on in the brief case for all it matters. If you look like a "good guy" and the cattle still get startled oh well. Personally I like the hip just faster TTR (Time Till Ready). I have a 5.11 tactical vest that I wear to the range once in awhile. Lets me hold everything I need without having to walk to the table every other mag. It's funny the looks I get some times when wearing this. Once someone said (as I stopped at a gas station by the range) "where are the rest of your guys?" I just laughed and walked away.

Pyro01

I have a vertical shoulder houlster and a hip holster, and since I only have one pistol I can open carry it is far more comfortable to use the shoulder holster. My gun weighs 69.6 oz. unloaded, and so carrying that on my hip starts to weigh down after a while, especially if you don't have a proper belt on. I've seen some really nice leather shoulder houlsters for this gun and I wish I had 200 bucks to drop on it. When I go hunting with it I use a bandolier-style holster.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57778_757776_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

phred

I'll wear a shoulder holster when I am trout fishing on streams or big game hunting with a T/C or Super Redhawk/Blackhawk and they are in vertical holsters. Otherwise it's pretty much on the hip.

jpm84092

What Works For Me

Open Carry in Summer - pancake hip holster with shirt tucked in.
Open Carry in Winter - (defer to concealed carry if outside - otherwise see Open Carry in Summer)

Concealed Carry in Summer - T-shirt, pancake hip holster, long shirt open.
Concealed Carry in Winter - Shirt buttoned, pancake hip holster - open sweater. Green Bay Packers jacket over all when outside. (And, yes, I do practice drawing while wearing the Packers Jacket)

Jason in WI

While I'm not a big fan of a shoulder holster unless your Don Johnson, I'm not too concerned to be sitting behind you at a restaurant. Just make sure you have a semi modern safe handgun in there! Extra points if you drive a Ferrari or have a pet alligator named after the king.

don_johnson_miami_vice0.jpg

Last edited:

phred

While I'm not a big fan of a shoulder holster unless your Don Johnson, I'm not too concerned to be sitting behind you at a restaurant. Just make sure you have a semi modern safe handgun in there! Extra points if you drive a Ferrari or have a pet alligator named after the king.
]

The etiquette thing refers to whether or not the muzzle is visible as it is tucked under the arm in a horizontal holster. The out of sight-out if mind thing is very important. Anybody who is carrying a firearm should treat it as if it was loaded. Anybody who sees a person with a firearm needs to assume that the carrier knows and follows the safety rules. If we didn't assume that ourselves, how could we expect John Q Public to trust us when we carry. I personally would not like sitting behind a person if I was looking at the business end of a 45 caliber firearm. Cover it up and I am not reminded of it. I suppose if I was in an environment where I saw it all of time (maybe a detective squad room), I might get used to it and the "threat" would diminish. Kind of like the reason we open carry - to diffuse the public's reaction to firearms by LAC. I have learned to not place myself in the path of a bullet or in line with the muzzle of a gun.

oak1971

I would stick with a hip holster, but to each his own. I do hear you about the pants thing though. :lol:

Jason in WI

I have learned to not place myself in the path of a bullet or in line with the muzzle of a gun.

Oh, I agree 100% with your first post Phred. Being sweeped with a muzzle is a big no-no. I'm just saying my comfort level might be different then most. It wouldn't be the best choice but If someone was across from me with a Miami Vice style shoulder rig, I wouldn't panic or cause a fuss. If the properly holstered handgun happens to go off while it's facing me, well it's just my luck! To me it would be like going outside and being struck by lightning, it happens but I'm not worried. All bets are off if Billy-Bob did that sweeeet trigger job though, so I hope anyone thinking about this style holster uses a proper duty style pistol!

Come to think of it, it is wrong of me to suggest we bend or break any firearm rule on this forum since there are many people here who may be new to firearms in general, for that I apologize.

So here is my PSA:

Never, ever point a firearm (even unintentionally like in the style holster we are discussing) at anything you don't want DEAD or destroyed!

And I'll add because people are still shooting themselves cleaning their gun:

All; and I mean each and every firearm is loaded! If you think your firearm is empty your wrong! Unless your firearm is stripped down it's still loaded! Those sneaky bullets will jump back in when your not looking.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
phred, I whole-heartedly agree with you on this one!

The 4 rules I learned are:

1.All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.

2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)

3.Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.

4.Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

I don't see how you can draw from a horizontal rig with out covering "something" behind you AND probably your arm as well.

tell this to all the cops & federal agents that use Horizontal draw shoulder rigs. After all they are the professionals right .

I prefer a small of Back Holster, or IWB Holster but would use a Horizontal Draw Shoulder rig if the situation presented itself. Depends of the weather & temps, heavy winter coat, sport coat, button down oversized shirt...

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

I am knew to O.C. so not so much from experiance just my thoughts...

For comfort and easier access into small areas (narrow chairs, resturant booth, movie / theater seats, etc.) I prefer shoulder (vertical). For outdoors / dangerous areas and faster access I would go with the hip. I think a small indicater might also be the type of weapon. A long barrel revolver might be better on the hip where as a semi auto would be more applicable in a shoulder. I do agree that a hip is more O.C. compatible where a shoulder could be easier viewed as concealed.

Outdoorsman1