• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will YOU be willing to break the LAW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanburbridge

Ok ok how do I say this without sounding NUTS?

I believe that the RIGHT to self protection is GOD given and therefore can NOT be taken away!

The tools we use are guns due to how effective guns are.

Based on that ALONE I need NO Constitution to say I can or cant carry for protection.

BUT we DO have a Constitution that explicitly protects that very right!

So who would be willing to get together after the ban on UOC passes and LOC in a group in civil disobedience to take a stand on what we know is wrong?

How long before we are forced to disobey?

If I am out of line posting this on this forum let me know.

Do we really believe the words "from our cold DEAD hands"?

I think not. Look at how far we have come. When will we draw the line in the ground and say if you (the government) cross this line there WILL be blood?

Rant over.

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

Ca Patriot

I have no problems saying online or even to a police officers face that I have carried loaded and concealed before. In fact, many times. Why should I hide the fact that I value my life and my familys life and want to protect it ?
I am not ashamed and not afraid of the police.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
There are appropriate places to open carry loaded handguns already. The proposed ban on unloaded open carry of handguns has no effect on those areas. Carrying loaded will run you afoul of 12031 and carrying unloaded will run you afoul of AB144-- (whatever the PC numbers it), in those places where the prohibiting codes apply.

We need to attack this more from the flanks rather than head on... that is to say, 12031 will need to be challenged in a venue and circumstances where we can predict the outcome with some reasonable accuracy. The circumstances would be some illegal search and seizure pertinent to 12031 in unincorporated territory where discharge has not been prohibited by local ordinance and in the jurisdiction of the Federal Court in the Eastern District of California.

I doubt that any other location and any other circumstances would net us the desired result... Carrying loaded where it is illegal will only disqualify you from further exerting you 2A rights.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I share it.

eraseallhope

Doing something like carrying loaded guns in the open is exactly why open carry was attacked.

If you guys can remember what the black panthers did in california a while back

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
When was the last time 100 people open carried as a group anywhere?

I think the Buckhorn Grill in Walnut Creek might have had 100 OCers (but then they came out against OC shortly thereafter). I'm sure it won't be long before SBOC has a 100 OCers at an event.

I know of at least two OCers who have spoken privately about civil disobedience by directly breaking laws and challenging those laws in court. There are pros and cons to a full-frontal attack as well as a flanking attack. If you are planning on violating the law and getting caught then I'd highly recommend consulting a criminal defense attorney who also practices constitutional law. You'll surely be arrested, indicted, and then you'll need to present an adequate defense. If you're lucky you win your case, if you're not so lucky then you end up in prison with your ability to own a firearm stripped from you.

Personally I'd rather go about things in a manner where I don't have to be arrested, but that's just me. Read the December 2010 U.S. v. Chester ruling to see why not getting arrested could make a constitutional challenge much easier (you should get to stand behind strict scrutiny instead of intermediate scrutiny).

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Folks:

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

The forums rules on this are clear. We do not advocate law breaking or civil disobedience.

Before the thread is closed, I leave you all the wise words of wisdom:

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

-Chief Judge Alex Kozinski, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, from his dissent from re-hearing en banc

To sum it up: We're not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.