Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muslim shop owner has no problem with my open carry

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Muslim shop owner has no problem with my open carry

Walking around town today exploring, the shops waiting to go to the courthouse. Saw a shop I think it's called "Crazy Shirts" small little place that makes custom shirts with logos, thought about the "Don't Birk Me", shirt Goose was talking about and went in to see how much.

When I told her what I was thinking about, this slightly older muslim lady started asking me "What is wrong with Police now days", we can't trust them any more, and how she has been robbed several times and they do nothing and treat her like she is the criminal.

She asked if I was the guy that was arrested y4esterday for "observing" a police action. I told her no but I have had my issues with BPD. They don't like the fact I open carry. She asked why I don't cover it up, I gave her the usual reasons, and told her about state preemption and how Bellingham can't tell me where I can or can't OC, and that of course I respect private business owners and if she told me she was uncomfortable and wanted me to leave I would respect her wishes. I was pleased to hear her express her thoughts she wouldn't do that to me or anyone she felt wasn't a threat to her.

I only had 3 bucks on me not enough for the $20 shirt, she took that as a down payment ( she made the customer ahead of me pay in full first) even though I told her I would just wait and order when I had the full $20. She is going to be out the cost of the shirt the lettering and the feather patch with the black band across it. She told me to come back and she would love to have more discussions with me.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

That's awesome. Perhaps the information you provided will result in another friendly OCer!
    "If you don't want to be shorn, don't be sheep!"

Waiting on pic of shirt while OC....

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Oh and make sure you wear flip flops while you're at it.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenIsFaster View Post
    Oh and make sure you wear flip flops while you're at it.
    Oh you know it!

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by therealcombat View Post
    That's awesome. Perhaps the information you provided will result in another friendly OCer!
    If not an OC'er maybe she will at least get a weapon and protect herself. I don't what it was but I liked her right off the bat, she had a very warm personality, infectious smile, and of course her first comment about the police .

I am by no means a PC Nazi...but what does Muslim have to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    Way I read it, that's what she happened to be. No more, no less.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Way I read it, that's what she happened to be. No more, no less.
    Sure, but we don't say "Hispanic LEO gave me a ticket!" or "White LEO harrased me at Safeway"

Again, for the record I am in no way, shape or form a PC Cop...I was just wondering why the highlight for the religion. Maybe he left something out of it?

Again, for the record I am in no way, shape or form a PC Cop...I was just wondering why the highlight for the religion. Maybe he left something out of it?
    So that you can imagine the proper accent while reading their part of the story.

To show that OCers and supporters can be diverse and not excluded to old fat white men?

lol sparky, in ENG101 yesterday we hit that controversial topic...apparently writing out how a speaker pronounces words and such is a terrible, terrible, racist thing.

So that you can imagine the proper accent while reading their part of the story.

I didn't know memebership into the Muslim religion carried with it an accent. Ouch...
    Anybody have a serious response? How abou the author? Oh nevermind.....lol so we got another supporter..thats what matters.
    Last edited by Lovenox; 03-03-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks, SVG, that was a cool story.

Her religion is a strong component of her self-concept, and therefore is a defining factor in her identity.

She would no doubt herself admit that her perspective on and reaction to the world is greatly affected by her religious identity. This is neither a bad nor a good thing; it is simply an observation of human tendencies.

So, yes, it's significant, because a majority of OCers are fat white dudes, and a majority of certain urban minorities do not favor private gun ownership.

Culture is not homogenous, and although people are of equal value regardless of their beliefs or background (only actions may make one inferior to another), it is quite reasonable to recognize cultural differences, and also instances of two cultures coming together, or one immigrant culture beginning to adopt the tenets of the dominant culture of a new home.

Her religion is a strong component of her self-concept, and therefore is a defining factor in her identity.

Thats an assumption on your part. Did you speak with her? But, heck you could be right.

So, yes, it's significant, because a majority of OCers are fat white dudes, and a majority of certain urban minorities do not favor private gun ownership.

Just say "Black" or "Hispanic" ..but while we are using metaphors I am an "urban minority" that is a supportive of OC and 2A and most of the UMs that I know of are as well.

Culture is not homogenous, and although people are of equal value regardless of their beliefs or background (only actions may make one inferior to another), it is quite reasonable to recognize cultural differences, and also instances of two cultures coming together, or one immigrant culture beginning to adopt the tenets of the dominant culture of a new home.

Had she been anti OC or 2A would the original author have mentioned her religion?

Thats an assumption on your part. Did you speak with her? But, heck you could be right.

Just say "Black" or "Hispanic" ..but while we are using metaphors I am an "urban minority" that is a supportive of OC and 2A and most of the UMs that I know of are as well.

Had she been anti OC or 2A would the original author have mentioned her religion?
    I thought you didn't want to be the PC Nazi? What do you want to be in regards to this discussion that seems to have grown out of one word?
    Last edited by amlevin; 03-03-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    I thought you didn't want to be the PC Nazi? What do you want to be in regards to this discussion that seems to have grown out of one word?
    Rationalization?

Rationalization?
    How so? The OP merely put the word "Muslim" in the title of his post. It could have been Native American, Mexican, or whatever. By reading the post that was the only time the "word" was used.

What explanation is necessary?

Sure, but we don't say "Hispanic LEO gave me a ticket!" or "White LEO harrassed me at Safeway"

Well, I'm not the PC police, either, but since YOU brought it up...
    Some might take offense at being called a "white" ever seen anybody "white" that wasn't smeared with cake make-up?
    I've been called "snow-ball" and it wasn't by a Caucasian, either.
    Seems like asking a lot of these questions escalates, rather than deescalates, the issue.
    Are you saying the lady would object to being referred to as "Muslim"? If she wouldn't, why would you?

I think every LEO that's not born from July 23 to August 23 should object. After all, if yer gonna call someone by their astrological sign, you otta get it right.

What else can we find to whine about?
    Cheese anyone?

No one "merely" puts anything into a sentence without meaning. Are you saying his entery is meaningless?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Well, I'm not the PC police, either, but since YOU brought it up...
    Some might take offense at being called a "white" ever seen anybody "white" that wasn't smeared with cake make-up?
    I've been called "snow-ball" and it wasn't by a Caucasian, either.
    Seems like asking a lot of these questions escalates, rather than deescalates, the issue.
    Are you saying the lady would object to being referred to as "Muslim"? If she wouldn't, why would you?

I think every LEO that's not born from July 23 to August 23 should object. After all, if yer gonna call someone by their astrological sign, you otta get it right.

What else can we find to whine about?
    Cheese anyone?

WTF collect your thoughts. Ive got to go to the range now and shoot some of Uncle Sams big guns that I cant OC in your nieghborhood. lol Good luck guys.

No one "merely" puts anything into a sentence without meaning. Are you saying his entery is meaningless?
    First of all why not ask the OP?

As for calling one anything, since the majority of this country is Caucasian (for now anyway) it's one of those things that if an ethnic designation is not given the party is assumed to be white. I might use a term such as Russian, Mexican, etc, merely to note that that's what the person was. Perhaps SVG was pointing out her ethnicity and assumed religion merely as side note to his interesting conversation.

Let's see what HE has to say. Should be signing in at any time now.

lol sparky, in ENG101 yesterday we hit that controversial topic...apparently writing out how a speaker pronounces words and such is a terrible, terrible, racist thing.
    Harold Bell Wright was racist against.... hillbillies?

Wait, what if the writer is spelling out how he himself speaks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N.W.A

Good Question? And a valid one.

Sure, but we don't say "Hispanic LEO gave me a ticket!" or "White LEO harrased me at Safeway"

To show that OCers and supporters can be diverse and not excluded to old fat white men?

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Thanks, SVG, that was a cool story.

She would no doubt herself admit that her perspective on and reaction to the world is greatly affected by her religious identity. This is neither a bad nor a good thing; it is simply an observation of human tendencies.

I didn't mention her race I mentioned her religion. She was Arabic in appearance by the way. Not that I am an expert on middle east ethnic backgrounds. But I am not very PC Green is faster and Marshaul covered the points very well.

There was no harm meant by me are any effort at all to demean her and her belief's, but in addition to the thoughts by Amlevin, Green is Faster and Marshaul I simply wanted to make the story live in your mind so when you read it you can imagine the actual people involved in the story. Simply put if you have spent some time reading a few of the anti-muslim expressions by a few of the other posters (especially in the social lounge mosque threads) I would like them to see muslim Americans in another light than their closed minds.

Not PC

I will wear my invidel shirt when I stop in.They still killed 3000 Americans 10 years ago.Will not be tolerant!!! They are trying to bring sharia into this country and I'm sure there is no one here that would allow that.I saw a death to Americans bumper sticker on one of their cars in the parking lot here.We will not have that s..t in this America!!!!!http://barenakedislam.wordpress.com/
    http://twg2a.wordpress.com/2010/11/2...ll-of-freedom/

These are just a couple of articles from Elisa's website the www.THEWAKINGGIANT.COM.She will be one of our speakers at our rally.these people are one of the biggest reasons to hold on to our 2A.

ADMINISTRATORS COMMENTS: We ask the public to not condemn all law-abiding citizens for the actions of the few criminals who misuse firearms. We should extend the same courtesy to Muslims. None of us support radicals who hate America or who wish to destroy our judicial system with Sharia but that is NOT all muslims. Please narrow your comments accordingly.
    Last edited by DEROS72; 03-03-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Name:  smileypopcorneating.gif
Views: 457
Size:  10.6 KB
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast