• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Muslim shop owner has no problem with my open carry

sudden valley gunner

Walking around town today exploring, the shops waiting to go to the courthouse. Saw a shop I think it's called "Crazy Shirts" small little place that makes custom shirts with logos, thought about the "Don't Birk Me", shirt Goose was talking about and went in to see how much.

When I told her what I was thinking about, this slightly older muslim lady started asking me "What is wrong with Police now days", we can't trust them any more, and how she has been robbed several times and they do nothing and treat her like she is the criminal.

She asked if I was the guy that was arrested y4esterday for "observing" a police action. I told her no but I have had my issues with BPD. They don't like the fact I open carry. She asked why I don't cover it up, I gave her the usual reasons, and told her about state preemption and how Bellingham can't tell me where I can or can't OC, and that of course I respect private business owners and if she told me she was uncomfortable and wanted me to leave I would respect her wishes. I was pleased to hear her express her thoughts she wouldn't do that to me or anyone she felt wasn't a threat to her.

I only had 3 bucks on me not enough for the $20 shirt, she took that as a down payment ( she made the customer ahead of me pay in full first) even though I told her I would just wait and order when I had the full $20. She is going to be out the cost of the shirt the lettering and the feather patch with the black band across it. She told me to come back and she would love to have more discussions with me.

sudden valley gunner

That's awesome. Perhaps the information you provided will result in another friendly OCer! :banana:

If not an OC'er maybe she will at least get a weapon and protect herself. I don't what it was but I liked her right off the bat, she had a very warm personality, infectious smile, and of course her first comment about the police :lol:.

Lovenox

Way I read it, that's what she happened to be. No more, no less.

Sure, but we don't say "Hispanic LEO gave me a ticket!" or "White LEO harrased me at Safeway"

Again, for the record I am in no way, shape or form a PC Cop...I was just wondering why the highlight for the religion. Maybe he left something out of it?

OrangeIsTrouble

I am by no means a PC Nazi...but what does Muslim have to do with it?

To show that OCers and supporters can be diverse and not excluded to old fat white men? :confused:

lol sparky, in ENG101 yesterday we hit that controversial topic...apparently writing out how a speaker pronounces words and such is a terrible, terrible, racist thing.

Lovenox

So that you can imagine the proper accent while reading their part of the story.

I didn't know memebership into the Muslim religion carried with it an accent. Ouch...
Anybody have a serious response? How abou the author? Oh nevermind.....lol so we got another supporter..thats what matters.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Thanks, SVG, that was a cool story.

Her religion is a strong component of her self-concept, and therefore is a defining factor in her identity.

She would no doubt herself admit that her perspective on and reaction to the world is greatly affected by her religious identity. This is neither a bad nor a good thing; it is simply an observation of human tendencies.

So, yes, it's significant, because a majority of OCers are fat white dudes, and a majority of certain urban minorities do not favor private gun ownership.

Culture is not homogenous, and although people are of equal value regardless of their beliefs or background (only actions may make one inferior to another), it is quite reasonable to recognize cultural differences, and also instances of two cultures coming together, or one immigrant culture beginning to adopt the tenets of the dominant culture of a new home.

Lovenox

Her religion is a strong component of her self-concept, and therefore is a defining factor in her identity.

Thats an assumption on your part. Did you speak with her? But, heck you could be right.

So, yes, it's significant, because a majority of OCers are fat white dudes, and a majority of certain urban minorities do not favor private gun ownership.

Just say "Black" or "Hispanic" ..but while we are using metaphors I am an "urban minority" that is a supportive of OC and 2A and most of the UMs that I know of are as well.

Culture is not homogenous, and although people are of equal value regardless of their beliefs or background (only actions may make one inferior to another), it is quite reasonable to recognize cultural differences, and also instances of two cultures coming together, or one immigrant culture beginning to adopt the tenets of the dominant culture of a new home.

Had she been anti OC or 2A would the original author have mentioned her religion?

amlevin

Thats an assumption on your part. Did you speak with her? But, heck you could be right.

Just say "Black" or "Hispanic" ..but while we are using metaphors I am an "urban minority" that is a supportive of OC and 2A and most of the UMs that I know of are as well.

Had she been anti OC or 2A would the original author have mentioned her religion?

I thought you didn't want to be the PC Nazi? What do you want to be in regards to this discussion that seems to have grown out of one word?

Last edited:

Hammer

Sure, but we don't say "Hispanic LEO gave me a ticket!" or "White LEO harrassed me at Safeway"

Again, for the record I am in no way, shape or form a PC Cop...I was just wondering why the highlight for the religion. Maybe he left something out of it?

Well, I'm not the PC police, either, but since YOU brought it up...
Some might take offense at being called a "white" ever seen anybody "white" that wasn't smeared with cake make-up?
I've been called "snow-ball" and it wasn't by a Caucasian, either.
Seems like asking a lot of these questions escalates, rather than deescalates, the issue.
Are you saying the lady would object to being referred to as "Muslim"? If she wouldn't, why would you?

I think every LEO that's not born from July 23 to August 23 should object. After all, if yer gonna call someone by their astrological sign, you otta get it right.

What else can we find to whine about?
Cheese anyone?

Lovenox

No one "merely" puts anything into a sentence without meaning. Are you saying his entery is meaningless?

Lovenox

Well, I'm not the PC police, either, but since YOU brought it up...
Some might take offense at being called a "white" ever seen anybody "white" that wasn't smeared with cake make-up?
I've been called "snow-ball" and it wasn't by a Caucasian, either.
Seems like asking a lot of these questions escalates, rather than deescalates, the issue.
Are you saying the lady would object to being referred to as "Muslim"? If she wouldn't, why would you?

I think every LEO that's not born from July 23 to August 23 should object. After all, if yer gonna call someone by their astrological sign, you otta get it right.

What else can we find to whine about?
Cheese anyone?

WTF collect your thoughts. Ive got to go to the range now and shoot some of Uncle Sams big guns that I cant OC in your nieghborhood. lol Good luck guys.