Thread: Guns near schools

Guns near schools

There is a school right behind me, how will that affect my right to carry on our own property? Although I do not own a handgun yet due to finances/low to no income, I would like to one day soon hopefully, but it dawned on me the school that is now right behind us may affect the ability to so. Any insight anyone?

simple answer yes on your own land other than that no not within 1000 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom_fighter_of_america View Post
    There is a school right behind me, how will that affect my right to carry on our own property? Although I do not own a handgun yet due to finances/low to no income, I would like to one day soon hopefully, but it dawned on me the school that is now right behind us may affect the ability to so. Any insight anyone?
    Well I'm new to Wisconisn but the way Nutczak explained it to me was something like: You can carry anywhere inside the 1000 foot circle that is private property. Obviously, this assumes the owner/person in charge of said private property hasn't forbidden firearms. The 1000 foot rule applies to public property... sidewalks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTC4 View Post
    Well I'm new to Wisconisn but the way Nutczak explained it to me was something like: You can carry anywhere inside the 1000 foot circle that is private property. Obviously, this assumes the owner/person in charge of said private property hasn't forbidden firearms. The 1000 foot rule applies to public property... sidewalks etc.
    that is 100% correct. I live within 1000 feet of a school and I carry on my property as well as on my neighbor's property. At no point while traveling between the 2 do I hit public property, so at the dismay of local law enforcement, they can't do anything about it.
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

If you need more legal insight there are links to the statutes and lots of other very useful info Here Or just click the link in my sig.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    does an ally fall into public property?
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

public property n. property owned by the government or one of its agencies, divisions, or entities. Commonly a reference to parks, playgrounds, streets, sidewalks, schools, libraries and other property regularly used by the general public.

I would have to say an alley is generally public property. But that is just my take on it.
    Calico Jack Defense

I remember Nik Clark saying on a radio talk show that a school is defined as one with grades 1-12. Does this include college grounds in WI? I don't live in the dorms anymore, but UW-Stout takes up a large portion of Menomonie, and if you're walking down broadway street in Menomonie, you're well within a 1000 feet of the college campus. Do college campuses count?

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    thanks jack that is how i was kind of leaning but wasnt sure
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

It is K-12, so colleges are not part of this. However, UW system is pretty much a victim committing zone.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    thanks jack that is how i was kind of leaning but wasnt sure
    Thats what we are here for!

Calico Jack Defense

The sidewalk in front of my house is public property unless repairs are needed. Then all of a sudden it's my property, my responsibility.

When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    The sidewalk in front of my house is public property unless repairs are needed. Then all of a sudden it's my property, my responsibility.

Not sure who you heard that from, but it is public property, but you have to clear the snow off of it.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post

If you tried to keep with the logic that local governments use against us, then by all rights, based on the fact that government is funded by Taxes, all public property is OUR property. But they only like that logic when it is used against the public.
    Calico Jack Defense

McX
    we should reverse this thread, to show the logic of: Schools near guns.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    we should reverse this thread, to show the logic of: Schools near guns.
    Like Longfellow Elementary School across the street of Shorty's Shoot Sports in West Allis?