• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns near schools

There is a school right behind me, how will that affect my right to carry on our own property? Although I do not own a handgun yet due to finances/low to no income, I would like to one day soon hopefully, but it dawned on me the school that is now right behind us may affect the ability to so. Any insight anyone?

1FASTC4

There is a school right behind me, how will that affect my right to carry on our own property? Although I do not own a handgun yet due to finances/low to no income, I would like to one day soon hopefully, but it dawned on me the school that is now right behind us may affect the ability to so. Any insight anyone?

Well I'm new to Wisconisn but the way Nutczak explained it to me was something like: You can carry anywhere inside the 1000 foot circle that is private property. Obviously, this assumes the owner/person in charge of said private property hasn't forbidden firearms. The 1000 foot rule applies to public property... sidewalks etc.

CalicoJack10

Well I'm new to Wisconisn but the way Nutczak explained it to me was something like: You can carry anywhere inside the 1000 foot circle that is private property. Obviously, this assumes the owner/person in charge of said private property hasn't forbidden firearms. The 1000 foot rule applies to public property... sidewalks etc.

that is 100% correct. I live within 1000 feet of a school and I carry on my property as well as on my neighbor's property. At no point while traveling between the 2 do I hit public property, so at the dismay of local law enforcement, they can't do anything about it.

CalicoJack10

public property n. property owned by the government or one of its agencies, divisions, or entities. Commonly a reference to parks, playgrounds, streets, sidewalks, schools, libraries and other property regularly used by the general public.

I would have to say an alley is generally public property. But that is just my take on it.

Pyro01

I remember Nik Clark saying on a radio talk show that a school is defined as one with grades 1-12. Does this include college grounds in WI? I don't live in the dorms anymore, but UW-Stout takes up a large portion of Menomonie, and if you're walking down broadway street in Menomonie, you're well within a 1000 feet of the college campus. Do college campuses count?

protias

It is K-12, so colleges are not part of this. However, UW system is pretty much a victim committing zone.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
The sidewalk in front of my house is public property unless repairs are needed. Then all of a sudden it's my property, my responsibility.

flamingmad.gif

protias

The sidewalk in front of my house is public property unless repairs are needed. Then all of a sudden it's my property, my responsibility.

flamingmad.gif

Not sure who you heard that from, but it is public property, but you have to clear the snow off of it.

CalicoJack10

flamingmad.gif

If you tried to keep with the logic that local governments use against us, then by all rights, based on the fact that government is funded by Taxes, all public property is OUR property. But they only like that logic when it is used against the public.

M

McX

we should reverse this thread, to show the logic of: Schools near guns.