Thread: Wyoming allows concealed guns without permits

Wyoming allows concealed guns without permits

Last edited by Bowers; 03-03-2011 at 12:51 AM.

win.
    Last edited by therealcombat; 03-03-2011 at 04:35 AM.
    "If you don't want to be shorn, don't be sheep!"

The new bill only applies to RESIDENTS. Non residents still need permits.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    The new bill only applies to RESIDENTS. Non residents still need permits.
    Does a non-resident not quality under (iv) ?

ETA: gotta read the original statute also....B(i) establishes WY residency requirements....is that why?
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; 03-03-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No heartburn with that. If you have a CCW endorsement it is a non-issue.

+1 Wyoming
    CCW endorsement????? Is that in the Second Amendment?

What's the difference between a law abiding resident who can legally own and possess a gun in Wyoming and a law abiding non-resident who can legally own and possess a gun while in Wyoming?
    Last edited by Toymaker; 03-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    What's the difference between a law abiding resident who can legally own and possess a gun in Wyoming and a law abiding non-resident who can legally own and possess a gun while in Wyoming?
    The second is unconstitutionally deprived of equal protection and recognition of his right to carry a gun for self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    The second is unconstitutionally deprived of equal protection and recognition of his right to carry a gun for self-defense.
    My point exactly!

While I applaud the pro-gun people in Wyoming for their hard work in getting over this hurdle, it's still not Constitutional carry and shouldn't be mistaken as such. The Constitution applies to all US citizens, not just the residents of a state.

Anybody here ever try to split a boulder with a plug-and-feathers kit? First you use a star drill to make a hole for the plug. Maybe people call you an idiot because the rock hasn't split.

Then you hammer in the plug, and then the feathers. And they deride you because wow, you still haven't split the stone.

Then you drill a second hole and insert another set of plug-and-feathers and hammer. Then another. And hammer away while folks shake their heads and mutter about insanity being doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Then a small crack on the surface appears. By this time, folks who have bet money that you would never get that boulder split start to sweat. They say it's hopeless, that the crack is just the result of hammer blows to the surface.

But the crack deepens. When you decide to drill a fourth hole, they start up with their now-worn-out arguments. But these are drowned out when, with a loud cracking sound the boulder is clave in two.

Then, when you offer to chisel off bite-size chunks for your detractors to eat, they decline and walk away. Rather quickly.

This situation is about the second blow on the third plug. Patience.

So damn awesome, that I am going to post a duplicate post in message:

CONGRATULATIONS WYOMING!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Curiously, Wyoming, as beautiful and majestic as it is, has always tried to keep other states at bay. They don't like others coming there and telling them where the bear sh!t in the woods. I love that state almost as much as I love Nevada and they just earned a few more points in my book.
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 03-04-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Does a non-resident not quality under (iv) ?

ETA: gotta read the original statute also....B(i) establishes WY residency requirements....is that why?
    I can't locate the text. but every story on the bill uses the term "Wyoming Citizens". I got my inf from Gary Slider at hand gun law. If anyone locates it, please post.

The Bill as passed: SF 47

The statute is changes: WY 6-8-104

I was right it seems... (b)(i) makes it all about the citizens.

(iv) The person does not possess a permit issued
    under this section, but otherwise meets the requirements
    specified in paragraphs (b)(i) through (vi), (viii) and
    (ix) of this section and possession of the firearm by the
    person is not otherwise unlawful.
    (b) The attorney general is authorized to issue permits to carry a concealed firearm to persons qualified as provided by this subsection. The attorney general shall promulgate rules necessary to carry out this section no later than October 1, 1994. Applications for a permit to carry a concealed firearm shall be made available and distributed by the division of criminal investigation and local law enforcement agencies. The permit shall be valid throughout the state for a period of five (5) years from the date of issuance. The permittee shall carry the permit, together with valid identification at all times when the permittee is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display both the permit and proper identification upon request of any peace officer. The attorney general through the division shall issue a permit to any person who:

(i) Is a resident of the United States and has been a resident of Wyoming for not less than six (6) months prior to filing the application. The Wyoming residency requirements of this paragraph do not apply to any person who holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit;
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; 03-05-2011 at 12:57 PM.

I'm 99% certain that requirement to have been a resident for sixth months is going to render this unconstitutional.

The same requirement is being challenged in CA, and that's for actual licensure, not for permit-free exercise of a right.