• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new ammo shop--Newport News, Va.

Old Virginia Joe

Just found a new ammo store in Newport News this week, Sherrifs Ammo & Police Supplies. The owner is not a gun expert, but he is an Italian restauranteur, who owns the retail strip, with the restaurant next door. Says he had the open retail space, unrented, so he opened this shop, to try to make some money. His big draw, apparently is 5.11 tactical gear, which he also sells there. Says he will guarantee the best ammo price, and will special order. He had cases of 5.56 there for $305/1000, which I thought was pretty good. I talked to him about OCDO and VCDL. He was unaware, so I encouraged him to join and offer discounts for membership cards from VCDL and LEO. He was very interested in that concept. Said the ammo was already going to be bottom dollar, but he could offer a discount on the 5.11 gear. I told him about the summer picnic, and he wanted to know when it is in 2011. The address is 15398 Warwick Blvd., 757/874-2666 (AMMO), www.sheriffsammo.com He tossed in an ammo can with the bulk ammo purchase. He is open to developing relationships with people like us. Stop by and encourage him to be one of our gun-friendly firms here on the web.

Jonton

I'll be in Newport News next week for my birthday, maybe I'll check it out. While I'm there, any reputable gun shops I should check out? A google search didn't turn up much for Newport News.

45acpForMe

I'll be in Newport News next week for my birthday, maybe I'll check it out. While I'm there, any reputable gun shops I should check out? A google search didn't turn up much for Newport News.

I like Quartermaster Police Supply, 14347a Warwick Blvd, Newport News, 23602 and have been a member of The Marksman, 520 Industrial Park Drive, Newport News.

They are both in the general area of the other one.

Quartermaster is only open til 6pm but I think the Marksman is til 8pm.

Last edited:

Lolcanoe

I Went to this place a few weeks ago OC. I think it was about $18for a 50 round box of .45 acp target ammo. They seemed nice and afaik they give a discount to military on non ammo items

Old Virginia Joe

The webpage looks like a placeholder for the time being. Do you have an email address for him? We're taking paid advertisers on our site and I'd like to let him know if he would be interested in advertising.

No, no email on his business card. That's all I have. You can call the phone no. I listed, I guess, and ask. To the guy who said he liked the man's restaurant next door, see if you can set up a OCDO dinner there sometime. I had mentioned that possibility to him, and he thought it was a good idea. He just does not know how to initiate cooperation with us. I doubt he spends much time surfing the net here on OCDO, if he is running a restaurant most of his time . . . .

scratchkenny

Good prices

I was ther ethe other day picked up a case of 9mm (1000 rounds) $ 205.00 and i wanted a case of 5.56 62 gr. green tip, but all he had was 600 rounds ($206.00) so i snatched those up too. I will be useing this shop for all my ammo needs.

2a4all

Catering the picnic?

Maybe he would be amenable to catering the picnic, as an advertizing gesture. He'd likely make it back in ammo sales and an OCDO or two.

Roy_SheriffsAmmo

Hello everyone. I'm Roy from Sheriff's Ammo. I want to thank you all for spreading the word on our shop. I'm not here to advertise the store, but I did see that there were some questions people had, and I wanted to address them.

First, our email address is sheriffsammo@gmail.com

I want it on the business cards, but it will have to wait until the next batch gets printed.

Second, yep, the website is an issue. We've got our IT lady working on it, but a functional web presence continues to elude us. I'm hoping to see some improvement "soon", but I've yet to figure out what "soon" actually means.

Third, yes, we do discounts. Currently the discount structure is offered to law enforcement, military, retired military, Fire/EMS, and armed security. I'm kicking around extending that to CCW holders, and there has been some talk about organizations like VCDL as well. The discounts vary depending on the item, and, no, we don't do ammo discounts (aside from price by the case, of course). I am amenable to the idea of giving slightly better bulk discounts to large/group purchases though, as I can sometimes secure better pricing from my distributor if I buy more than the usual amount of cases. If you do decide that you want to explore this route, email me.

And lastly, I will happily discuss OCDO/VCDL/etc events with representatives of those organizations. Please contact me at the email above, or call the shop. I'm usually there after noon.

Once again, thank you all for spreading the word. I get a lot of people coming in that mention seeing up here and on the VCDL forums. I am not active on either site, and don't honestly feel comfortable with joining to advertise the store, so I have been relying on word of mouth. I registered now because a friend pointed out this thread and I wanted to answer questions. If this is against a rule, you have my apologies in advance, and I understand if you have to moderate the post.

Stay safe out there,

-Roy, Sheriff's Ammo.

ETA: Forgot to add - Open carry is totally acceptable in the shop! We only ask that it's cased or holstered.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Good Deal, Roy!

I'm planning to visit your shop around Easter when I'll be down in NN visiting relatives.

I'll post about my visit or something when I come back. :)

Roy_SheriffsAmmo

Glad to hear it.

As an aside, I open carry pretty regularly. Not surprising as I OC when I'm in the store. While I do it primarily for work reasons when I'm here, I feel that OC raises awareness of our rights in this country.

-Roy, Sheriff's Ammo.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Welcome aboard, Roy.

I did a quick (10 second) walk through on Friday, after a filling lunch at Luigi's.

My buddies finished paying for their lunch, and we rode together, so I couldn't stay.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Hey Roy,
Welcome to OCDO. You ought to come to one of the dinners! You sure sound like one of us. I have had the address of your store on my desk for a week or so, and I will stop buy to visit pretty soon. Best of luck in your new venture.

6L6GC

Hello Roy

I'm Ron Lilly, the VCDL coordinator in this area. I will bring a few of our VCDL brochures and a holder to you if you'd like and you can put them in your shop. I look forward to seeing you and I will try to drop by tomorrow (4/6/11). I'll probably break my own rule and buy "ammo". ha

Roy_SheriffsAmmo

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Pro Shooter - I will shoot you a PM, thank you.

Dutch Uncle - I really should look into it, yeah :)

6L6GC - Sounds good. I look forward to meeting you, and we'll happily put your brochures out. I should be there about 1pm til close tomorrow.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Pro Shooter - I will shoot you a PM, thank you.

Dutch Uncle - I really should look into it, yeah :)

6L6GC - Sounds good. I look forward to meeting you, and we'll happily put your brochures out. I should be there about 1pm til close tomorrow.

Welcome to the site Roy!
So far it sounds like a great service to the area and I'll be happy to add your ad on Old Virginia. Just PM me or email to Editor@oldva.org.

Just a friendly note though....offering discounts to CHP holders only will result in publicity that will be unappreciated and long lasting. A better way would be offering one to VCDL and OCDO.

Roy_SheriffsAmmo

Welcome to the site Roy!
So far it sounds like a great service to the area and I'll be happy to add your ad on Old Virginia. Just PM me or email to Editor@oldva.org.

Just a friendly note though....offering discounts to CHP holders only will result in publicity that will be unappreciated and long lasting. A better way would be offering one to VCDL and OCDO.

We're still working this stuff out. The only issue I have with OCDO is that I don't actually have a way to check if someone is actually involved. At least so far as I know, as there are no membership cards or anything handy to check (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I may do something like have people print out a particular post on here and bring it in or something like that.