• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new ammo shop--Newport News, Va.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We're still working this stuff out. The only issue I have with OCDO is that I don't actually have a way to check if someone is actually involved. At least so far as I know, as there are no membership cards or anything handy to check (please correct me if I'm wrong here). I may do something like have people print out a particular post on here and bring it in or something like that.

You're correct about that Roy. OCDO is more a lifestyle or a mindset than an organization. Most OCDO people are also VCDL members though, so perhaps just a VCDL discount would work better.

The objection to CHP holders alone gets into "P4P" (Perks for Permits) which is one area that divides gunowners and is certain to cause hard feelings.

t33j

The objection to CHP holders alone gets into "P4P" (Perks for Permits) which is one area that divides gunowners and is certain to cause hard feelings.

+1

I visited this place a while back just to check it out. Told the guy behind the counter about the OCDO post. The 5.11 gear is nice stuff but suited pretty much exclusively to CCing which I don't do a whole lot of.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

+1

I visited this place a while back just to check it out. Told the guy behind the counter about the OCDO post. The 5.11 gear is nice stuff but suited pretty much exclusively to CCing which I don't do a whole lot of.

We need to get you a BUG! Then you will OC/CC all the time.

45acpForMe

Well I finally made it to that side of the peninsula today looking for ammo.

The bad news is they didn't have the 45acp bulk boxes I wanted but Roy had warned me in email that he had a limited number of boxes at the moment.

The staff was friendly and they had alot of 5.11 tactical pants/shorts with other misc stuff. I picked up a pair of tactical shorts to try them out. They have a buy 1 get 50% off the second pair right now. With the VCDL discount the price was very reasonable. :)

I forgot how long it takes to get over there though so I will probably stop by if I am in the area.

Since they didn't have ammo I went to Dick's Sporting Goods at Patrick Henry, dropped my drawers and bent over while they charged my credit card! It hurt alot, I feel violated and a Dillon press is looking more attractive all the time.

Last edited:

Roy_SheriffsAmmo

You're correct about that Roy. OCDO is more a lifestyle or a mindset than an organization. Most OCDO people are also VCDL members though, so perhaps just a VCDL discount would work better.

That makes it a bit more clear.

Not sure how to handle OCDO, but we will be offering the same "Good guy" discount to VCDL members as we do LEO, military, armed security, CHP, etc. I got that set up yesterday. Spread the word!

(Also we're ratcheting back on some prices. The last round of price increases on 5.11 gear came at a bad time *cough*Recession*cough*, IMO, so we're cranking the clock back to where they were last year.)

--
+1

You know the FBI calls the 5.11 Tactical Pants the "Shoot Me First" pants, right? Personally, when I see them, I mentally assume CC whether I notice the person printing or not. :)

Now, the Covert line I totally agree with. Very much spun towards CC.

This may be a dumb question, as this is an Open Carry board, but is CC a bad word around here?

--

Since they didn't have ammo I went to Dick's Sporting Goods at Patrick Henry, dropped my drawers and bent over while they charged my credit card! It hurt alot, I feel violated and a Dillon press is looking more attractive all the time.

We had 45acp by Independence (230gr FMJ) for $18.89/50rd which, as far as I can tell, is a pretty solid price. Did Walt not show that to you? Tell me we didn't sell out of that and I somehow didn't notice.

BTW - Those Federal bulk packs are something weird. We got two in way back in January. I sold one in the first week, and the second one sat in the case until this past weekend.

Last edited:

t33j

You know the FBI calls the 5.11 Tactical Pants the "Shoot Me First" pants, right? Personally, when I see them, I mentally assume CC whether I notice the person printing or not. :)

Now, the Covert line I totally agree with. Very much spun towards CC.

This may be a dumb question, as this is an Open Carry board, but is CC a bad word around here?

I can appreciate that, it's just not really my thing. Maybe I'll do some more investigating. :)
Technically posts pertaining exclusively to CC stuff are off topic and against forum rules. I generally won't try to answer questions, but some people do. Most (but certainly not all) members here have CHPs. Age and ideology seem to be at least the first two excluding factors.

We had 45acp by Independence (230gr FMJ) for $18.89/50rd which, as far as I can tell, is a pretty solid price. Did Walt not show that to you? Tell me we didn't sell out of that and I somehow didn't notice.

BTW - Those Federal bulk packs are something weird. We got two in way back in January. I sold one in the first week, and the second one sat in the case until this past weekend.

He's just jealous because he knows how much it costs me to reload .45. :cool:

Last edited:

45acpForMe

CC isn't a bad word around here but many scoff at it. Two points of view against CC are 1) you have to get permission/pay the state (CHP) and 2) it is reactive rather than OC which is proactive. Many stories you read about self defense encounters say "a licensed CC holder pulled out his concealed handgun" whereas if they had been OC-ing in the first place the encounter probably wouldn't have happened. The majority of criminals seek easy targets and an armed person isn't that.

Yes I saw the "Independence" ammo and I am sure it goes bang but read some not so flattering reviews so I wasn't interested.

Walt said that you were a knife nut too and I have a WWII Kbar knife my Dad left me that I would like to get reconditioned. Do you know anyone locally that does basic work like that? I simply want the rust gone and pits gone if possible.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

:lol:No, it's not a bad word Roy. Let me try to explain.

I worked as hard for "Shall Issue" as anyone else and had a CWP long before "Shall Issue" was passed. I think I had it for ten years or a tad longer.

After "Shall Issue" some politicians started to realize that trying to register Guns in Virginia, was political suicide. Now keep in mind that the majority of Virginia is rural and most of us that were born here have OC'ed all our lives.

Back to the sneaky Politicians:uhoh: They came up with a rough idea that if they couldn't register Guns, they'd register Gun owners and started giving Perks to CHP holders.

They eliminated one gun a month for them, some things as silly as allowing CHP (AKA CHiPpers) to carry while bow or muzzle loader hunting, allowing them to carry in WMA's out of hunting season, allowing carry in National Forests out of season, etc.

This has been helped along with what I consider, a naive push by the NRA and VCDL for better gun laws that really only benefited CHiPpers.

LEO's like the idea because they have a better idea about who may have a gun when they make a traffic stop.
The problem got worse when the Big Surge of outta staters came in who couldn't fathom the idea that people could actually carry guns here without a permit.

As city kids started to grow up they anticipated getting their CHP as much as getting their drivers license.

Back up a few years...NOVA (Northern Va) which I renamed NOTVA last night (Not Virginia):p Where gun carry had not been as traditional and was populated largely by Outta Staters, started to realize that it was a dangerous place. A new grass roots organization whose goal was primarily Concealed gun legislation was formed. It would eventually become VCDL....which I am a member of and support but do often disagree with.

The Northern Part of Virginia continues to make a major push for Concealed and Permitted carry.

Thus the opposition for P4P.

This mindset is extremely dangerous IMO. It could well lead to the end of unlicensed Open Carry if not tempered with sound judgment.

Many otherwise responsible gun owners prefer bills that favor permit holders because they are simply easier to pass through the General Assembly.

Now that I've said all that and a lot of people are chewing on their keyboards, there is also a large contingency of people who have CHP's because they have to conceal often because of work or other pressure, but strongly support the right to keep and bear arms for ALL VIRGINIANS, permit or not.

Those are the ones you will find for the most part here.

I support these people. I insisted my wife get a permit because that's the only way she will carry and I want her to be armed.

I do NOT support legislation that creates an elite group of gun owners though.

So NO, Concealed is not a bad word!:uhoh:

Last edited:

Felix

...a Dillon press is looking more attractive all the time.

Which one are you considering? I'm a Dillon fanboy when it comes to reloading pistol cartridges. Plus, Dillon customer service is second-to-none. OTOH, the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP has a loyal following as well and will save you a some bucks if you're going the auto indexing progressive route. A press from either company will serve well although I see some L-N-L positives: cheaper than the XL 650, changing calibers is faster (and cheaper), arguably a more accurate powder measure with flake and extruded powders. Now if that fifth station didn't require a Hornady taper crimp die (without a mod with a Dremel grinder to miss the ejection wire when using 3rd party dies) it wouldn't get some of the bad press it does.

45acpForMe

Which one are you considering? I'm a Dillon fanboy when it comes to reloading pistol cartridges. Plus, Dillon customer service is second-to-none. OTOH, the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP has a loyal following as well and will save you a some bucks if you're going the auto indexing progressive route. A press from either company will serve well although I see some L-N-L positives: cheaper than the XL 650, changing calibers is faster (and cheaper), arguably a more accurate powder measure with flake and extruded powders. Now if that fifth station didn't require a Hornady taper crimp die (without a mod with a Dremel grinder to miss the ejection wire when using 3rd party dies) it wouldn't get some of the bad press it does.

I figure I would only be reloading 45acp so I don't have to go all out. This is the one I was looking at: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/8/pkg_id/1

I haven't decided to jump in yet but want to talk-to/see some others that are reloading and get a feel for it.

I just paid .50 a bullet for ball ammo (Remington) and figure that .08 or even .10 a bullet would be much better. There for a while the ammo logjam broke and I was able to get most ammo at reasonable prices (.33/round) but now things dried up again. Time and energy are a consideration too so if I can get good deals online at ammoengine.com I might forgo reloading.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Time and energy are a consideration too so if I can get good deals online at ammoengine.com I might forgo reloading.

There's much more to handloading than just cheap ammo (Although that is nice).
It's an art getting just the right load for the gun and situation.

You may find it's a fascinating hobby then move into casting/swaging your own bullets.

Someone asked last night why I didn't make my own primers...well, I have reloaded primers, but draw the line there. That's not fun:lol:

Roy_SheriffsAmmo

*snip*Yes I saw the "Independence" ammo and I am sure it goes bang but read some not so flattering reviews so I wasn't interested.

Ah, I gotcha. I always tell people honestly that I don't currently own a 45ACP, so I know nothing about the Independence. I know that we've sold a lot of it, and that many of them are repeat buyers who at least haven't said anything bad about it. As a result, I don't vouch for it per se, but I've not gotten any complaints on it.

It's a weird area. People ask me all the time how a given load or mfg shoots, and I just answer honestly. If I shoot it (PMC X-Tac 5.56, PMC ball in 9mm/38 spec/380, Blazer 22lr, etc) I'll tell them my experience. If not, well, all I can do is go off of what my customers tell me. And I do ask people to give me range reports when they are shooting something I'm not familiar with! I just wish they'd come back more often :p

Walt said that you were a knife nut too and I have a WWII Kbar knife my Dad left me that I would like to get reconditioned. Do you know anyone locally that does basic work like that? I simply want the rust gone and pits gone if possible.

I wish I did. I've got an Old Timer that could use some work. I also wish I knew of a good gunsmith here in Newport News. The old fellow that I used to use retired quite a while back, and I haven't found one since. I've been sending people to Norfolk and Suffolk to get work done.

If I do hear of someone doing worthwhile knife work, I'll take mine to get it worked on ad report back here as to the results.

--

I worked as hard for "Shall Issue" as anyone else and had a CWP long before "Shall Issue" was passed. I think I had it for ten years or a tad longer.

Same here. I got my CWP a few years prior to "Shall Issue".

*snip excellently detailed explanation*

This mindset is extremely dangerous IMO. It could well lead to the end of unlicensed Open Carry if not tempered with sound judgment.

I guess part of my problem is that I grew OC'ing when I needed to. It is so basic to me that the idea that it could be illegal utterly shocked me when I heard of it a few years ago. To this day, the idea that it might be illegal for me, a very law-abiding citizen, to carry a legally-owned firearm in a peaceful manner is such an idiotic concept that it boggles me to think that there are those who feel that it needs to be regulated.

Something tells me that I should pay more attention :p Thanks for the education.

Old Virginia Joe

LEO's like the idea (of expanding the CHP program) because they have a better idea about who may have a gun when they make a traffic stop.
:

What?! How so? I think I would have inserted the phrase, " . . . . .they THINK, ERRONEOUSLY AND POTENTIALLY FATALLY, THEY HAVE A BETTER IDEA . . . . ."

All those gangsta types are not holding permits, and they are the folks they really need to worry about. They (LEOs)justify the program by focusing on the wrong people, IMHO.

MSC 45ACP

I brought the family to eat at Luigi's for dinner last week. Food was amazing and the portions were great. We had to bring home several boxes. It was pretty pricy, though. We did get our $$$ worth. I OC'd of course. Got some Hairy Eyeballs from some fellow customers but no one on the staff said a word to me (one way or another). I noticed the "Cop Shop" next door and remembered this post from last year. The "OPEN" light was lit, but the door was locked and the lights were low. I saw the sign about "going next door for service" but knew the owner was pretty busy feeding customers at the time, so I didn't bother him. I'll go back to the "gun shop" later this week.

Humble aplogies for my prolonged absence here. I haven't been getting out much due to health issues. I took Shannon to the range a couple weeks ago and she did well. Neither of us has been to the range in nearly a year. We were both sore afterwards. I guess that just means we need to go more often and get "back in shape".

Mike

I figure I would only be reloading 45acp so I don't have to go all out. This is the one I was looking at: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/8/pkg_id/1

I haven't decided to jump in yet but want to talk-to/see some others that are reloading and get a feel for it.

I just paid .50 a bullet for ball ammo (Remington) and figure that .08 or even .10 a bullet would be much better. There for a while the ammo logjam broke and I was able to get most ammo at reasonable prices (.33/round) but now things dried up again. Time and energy are a consideration too so if I can get good deals online at ammoengine.com I might forgo reloading.

45acpForMe

I brought the family to eat at Luigi's for dinner last week. Food was amazing and the portions were great. We had to bring home several boxes. It was pretty pricy, though. We did get our $$$ worth. I OC'd of course. Got some Hairy Eyeballs from some fellow customers but no one on the staff said a word to me (one way or another). I noticed the "Cop Shop" next door and remembered this post from last year. The "OPEN" light was lit, but the door was locked and the lights were low. I saw the sign about "going next door for service" but knew the owner was pretty busy feeding customers at the time, so I didn't bother him. I'll go back to the "gun shop" later this week.

Humble aplogies for my prolonged absence here. I haven't been getting out much due to health issues. I took Shannon to the range a couple weeks ago and she did well. Neither of us has been to the range in nearly a year. We were both sore afterwards. I guess that just means we need to go more often and get "back in shape".

Mike

Welcome back Mike. Hope your health improves! I was at Pizza Uno's last week (OC-ing of course) and a man at the next table had a shirt on with the Sheriff's Ammo logo on it. I thought about starting a conversation but he was in conversation with his wife/dinner mate. I bought some more 5.11 shorts and really like the new style with the knife pocket, mag pocket etc. I may head back there sometime as I just blew out a few generic cargo shorts. The hammer from my P220 wore a hole in several but the 5.11 shorts seem to be holding up fine. They also seem stain resistant which is a plus for a guy that eats like food is going out of style. :)

Where did you go shooting? I thought about inviting you to LGC recently but haven't been able to break away from work/kids/life much. :-(

Last edited:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member

Mike
Welcome Back Mike. Missed your posts.

John

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Well, Mike, we must have been aggravating the same gods in the last year or so. I have only sporadically been to LGC or OCDO dinners. The last year has been filled with health, personal, financial and spiritual challenges, tho' I think I'm starting to see some stability return. I guess its time for me to start crawling out from under my rock and going to the dinners as well as the range. I did go to LGC with Danbus some weeks back, but my performance was less than stellar. I've been shooting pistols for about 50 years, but most of a year away from it left me back to shooting at the "novice" level.

Just because my life went to Hell doesn't mean I should stop shooting, for gosh sakes!!! Must keep priorities in order !!

45acpForMe

Well, Mike, we must have been aggravating the same gods in the last year or so. I have only sporadically been to LGC or OCDO dinners. The last year has been filled with health, personal, financial and spiritual challenges, tho' I think I'm starting to see some stability return. I guess its time for me to start crawling out from under my rock and going to the dinners as well as the range. I did go to LGC with Danbus some weeks back, but my performance was less than stellar. I've been shooting pistols for about 50 years, but most of a year away from it left me back to shooting at the "novice" level.

Just because my life went to Hell doesn't mean I should stop shooting, for gosh sakes!!! Must keep priorities in order !!

I hope your life/health/finances/personal/spiritual status improves!!! As punishment for living within walking distance of LGC and not shooting for a year you will have to shoot a different gun each day of the week for one week. If you fail to submit to this penance the gods (lower case) of brass, lead and gunpowder will melt all your guns. :)

If your pistol shooting has suffered you should show up to the practical pistol sessions the second Sunday of each month. It runs from 6am-2pm but you have to show up before noon and sign in if you want to shoot. Depending on how busy they are you may have to wait an hour or more before your turn comes up. It is great practice and is more realistic than shooting paper in a lane. I wish they could get the outdoor practical 3-gun range going but that will be years down the road before approvals and construction finish.

MSC 45ACP

The Marksman Range... Not going back!

I hope you're feeling better as well. Please tell danbus I said hello. I miss his posts. I regret I didn't get a chance to get to know him better. I only had a few short conversations with him. He was going through some trying times when I first started OCing and I wanted to learn from his experiences in Norfolk.

I've only been shooting since the early 80's. Only did "serious" shooting (every day, several hours a day)
from around 86 to the mid-90's sometime. After that, only a few hours a week until I retired in 2005, then it was an hour a week at most the first year, then I was lucky to get a couple hours a month until a couple years ago. The last couple years, I've been lucky to get to the range for an hour every 6 months.

We have a perishable skill, Boys and Girls... If you don't use it regularly, your skills get "rusty". Sure, you will always have the ABILITY to shoot (until your body REALLY gets "tired"), but you won't be able to "shoot all day" or even for a few hours "like you used to". I only shot 80 rounds yesterday of .45 ACP. I used a TransTar I target @ the "stops" at The Marksman (20-25 yards?). I didn't shoot nearly as well as I should have. I kept them on the paper, but my group was far larger than the expected size of my fist.

Their lighting stinks. Their ventillation is so bad I may never go back there again. A blue-grey cloud was hanging in the range that wasn't moving. So much for "proper ventillation". I complained to the "staff". So much for "well-trained staff". There were SEVERAL ricochets on the range while I was there. A guy came up to me a few seconds after I finished putting my gun back together after changing the recoil spring and asked "What are you shooting?" I told him "45, why?" He held up two large, shiny pieces of lead that were probably 40-something caliber. There were 3 or 4 people at the point next to mine shooting a Rock River .45 (I knew because I had seen it in the open case in the lobby) and something else that vibrated my internal organs ever time it exploded. They were shooting at a HUGE target with multiple numbered "circles" about 3 yards from the firing point. I stopped shooting to listen/watch and noticed that there was NOT a new hole in the target every time my kindeys quivered. I suspect they were shooting the floor, ceiling, target carrier or something else other than the bullet trap. So much for "range supervision". My throat was scratchy for the rest of the day. I shudder to think about how much lead I ingested the short time I was there. If it was a military range, it would have been shut down in a heartbeat!

I know its a long drive to the Marine Corps range at Camp Elmore, but you do NOT have to worry about poor range manners (someone shooting magnum ammo "just because they can") and I've NEVER seen anyone putting holes in the overhead, walls or bouncing them off the floor at that range. I REALLY miss the "manners" from military and professionally-run ranges. You certainly don't see that silliness at a match, either.