View Poll Results: Should the Requirement to Register Pistols in Michigan be Eliminated?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    47 88.68%
  • No

    6 11.32%
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Michigan Pistol Registration

  1. #1
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Michigan Pistol Registration

    I am interested in OCDO Member's Opinions on Michigan's Legal Requirement for Pistol Registration. Please participate in the poll and express sentiments in a thread post.

    Please stay on topic so I can keep this poll open for a few days. If some other issue arises from the discussion, please open a new thread to discuss.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Golden Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    I am interested in OCDO Member's Opinions on Michigan's Legal Requirement for Pistol Registration. Please participate in the poll and express sentiments in a thread post.

    Please stay on topic so I can keep this poll open for a few days. If some other issue arises from the discussion, please open a new thread to discuss.
    ...
    Last edited by Golden Eagle; 03-03-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

  3. #3
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    I think we need to first do things in order. 1st eliminate the federal 1000' pistol free school zones then our registration.
    Poll was structured specifically to not be about a time frame or order of importance. Also, Pistol Registration is not the same as the License To Purchase a Pistol.

    Did you vote No?

  4. #4
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    The No Votes

    Please share with us why Pistol Registration should stay.

    Everyone, please be polite!

  5. #5
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    From a 1997 USDOJ report only 8 states require handgun registration. A few states have city or county registrations only.

    States that require handgun registration are:
    Connecticut
    Hawaii
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    New Jersey
    New York
    Pennsylvania

    http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/ssprfs97.pdf
    Last edited by Venator; 03-03-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Newport, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    108
    I voted Yes,
    For the No vote, There is no Government control of baseball bats, knives forks spoons or the flush handle on the toilet,
    I hope that I did not give away any ideas, but No voters may be willing to pay for these uncontrolled items too. And when the No voters pay check becomes insufficient, to support their own family, attack the Employer.
    Just my thoughts, I have been, Conditioned.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Golden Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Poll was structured specifically to not be about a time frame or order of importance. Also, Pistol Registration is not the same as the License To Purchase a Pistol.

    Did you vote No?
    Ah, right. change to yes.
    Last edited by Golden Eagle; 03-03-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I voted no, begrudgingly, because of the federal 1000 foot school zone infringement.

  9. #9
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I voted no, begrudgingly, because of the federal 1000 foot school zone infringement.
    You are aware that the Pistol Registration Requirement can be separated from the License To Purchase?

    It is the License to Purchase (License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol) that allows you to OC without a CPL within the Federal GFSZ.

  10. #10
    Regular Member StingMP9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    101

    Michigan also unnecessarily restricts possession of non lethal defense products

    Our legislature also restricts our access to tazers and limits potency of pepper spray products and keeps our knife laws iffy. The list of states that does the same appears quite similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    From a 1997 USDOJ report only 8 states require handgun registration. A few states have city or county registrations only.

    States that require handgun registration are:
    Connecticut
    Hawaii
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    New Jersey
    New York
    Pennsylvania

    http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/ssprfs97.pdf

  11. #11
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    You are aware that the Pistol Registration Requirement can be separated from the License To Purchase?

    It is the License to Purchase (License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol) that allows you to OC without a CPL within the Federal GFSZ.
    I would not be surprised though, if the registration thing gets dropped, that they'd drop the PtP as well.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  12. #12
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Voted 'Yes' because the Pistol Registration Requirement can be separated from the License To Purchase.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    You are aware that the Pistol Registration Requirement can be separated from the License To Purchase?

    It is the License to Purchase (License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol) that allows you to OC without a CPL within the Federal GFSZ.
    I stand corrected, thank you.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Golden Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    I would not be surprised though, if the registration thing gets dropped, that they'd drop the PtP as well.
    Thats a good point... I change my vote back to no.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wayne County, MI.
    Posts
    271
    Yes
    Its is a waste of MY time and solves ZERO crimes. We have to pay the person (another waste of money)at the cop shop to record the info into the useless database .

  16. #16
    Regular Member Vmaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    85
    I can remember when I was In the army at fort knox 87-91 it you passed a check & test & had the cash you walked out with it then & there. Only records were kept at the gun store. I bought a few then was forced to register when I returned home to MI.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Golden Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Yes
    Its is a waste of MY time and solves ZERO crimes. We have to pay the person (another waste of money)at the cop shop to record the info into the useless database .
    Waste of tax money ,best point yet. defenetly change my vote back to YES.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

  18. #18
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Results So Far

    MGO:
    Yes - 83.48%
    No - 16.52%
    Total Votes: 115

    OCDO:
    Yes - 85.29%
    No - 14.71%
    Total Votes: 34

  19. #19
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Yes
    Its is a waste of MY time and solves ZERO crimes. We have to pay the person (another waste of money)at the cop shop to record the info into the useless database .
    Of course it is. Remember, this whole process was started after the "Ossian Sweet" incident, as a means of controlling who can or cannot buy a handgun. i.e., it's racist in nature. At least in the beginning it was.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houghton County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    808
    Yes. Get rid of the registration and the PTP, but definitely don't stop there.
    Rand Paul 2016

  21. #21
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Of course it is. Remember, this whole process was started after the "Ossian Sweet" incident, as a means of controlling who can or cannot buy a handgun. i.e., it's racist in nature. At least in the beginning it was.
    An interesting read...

    http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/t...of-gun-control

  22. #22
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    You can get more info on Dr. Sweet at the following link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossian_Sweet
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    Though I'm not a MI resident, I firmly believe registration leads to confiscation. Not only that, but why do law abiding citizens have to register like a criminal? Why don't criminals register their guns? Oh, that's right, felons cannot have guns!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  24. #24
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Results

    MGO:
    Yes - 83.45%
    No - 16.55%
    Total Votes: 145

    OCDO:
    Yes - 88%
    No - 12%
    Total Votes: 50

    Thanks for participating and playing nice.
    Last edited by PDinDetroit; 03-04-2011 at 10:07 PM.

  25. #25
    Regular Member cmdr_iceman71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Voted 'Yes' because the Pistol Registration Requirement can be separated from the License To Purchase.
    + 1 Same here
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

    "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •