• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Pistol Registration

Should the Requirement to Register Pistols in Michigan be Eliminated?

• Yes

Votes: 47 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDinDetroit

I am interested in OCDO Member's Opinions on Michigan's Legal Requirement for Pistol Registration. Please participate in the poll and express sentiments in a thread post.

Please stay on topic so I can keep this poll open for a few days. If some other issue arises from the discussion, please open a new thread to discuss.

Golden Eagle

I am interested in OCDO Member's Opinions on Michigan's Legal Requirement for Pistol Registration. Please participate in the poll and express sentiments in a thread post.

Please stay on topic so I can keep this poll open for a few days. If some other issue arises from the discussion, please open a new thread to discuss.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

I think we need to first do things in order. 1st eliminate the federal 1000' pistol free school zones then our registration.

Poll was structured specifically to not be about a time frame or order of importance. Also, Pistol Registration is not the same as the License To Purchase a Pistol.

Did you vote No?

Gort

I voted Yes,
For the No vote, There is no Government control of baseball bats, knives forks spoons or the flush handle on the toilet,
I hope that I did not give away any ideas, but No voters may be willing to pay for these uncontrolled items too. And when the No voters pay check becomes insufficient, to support their own family, attack the Employer.
Just my thoughts, I have been, Conditioned.

PDinDetroit

I voted no, begrudgingly, because of the federal 1000 foot school zone infringement.

You are aware that the Pistol Registration Requirement can be separated from the License To Purchase?

It is the License to Purchase (License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol) that allows you to OC without a CPL within the Federal GFSZ.

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
Michigan also unnecessarily restricts possession of non lethal defense products

Our legislature also restricts our access to tazers and limits potency of pepper spray products and keeps our knife laws iffy. The list of states that does the same appears quite similar.

From a 1997 USDOJ report only 8 states require handgun registration. A few states have city or county registrations only.

States that require handgun registration are:
Connecticut
Hawaii
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
New Jersey
New York
Pennsylvania

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/ssprfs97.pdf

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
You are aware that the Pistol Registration Requirement can be separated from the License To Purchase?

It is the License to Purchase (License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol) that allows you to OC without a CPL within the Federal GFSZ.
I would not be surprised though, if the registration thing gets dropped, that they'd drop the PtP as well.

Super Trucker

Yes
Its is a waste of MY time and solves ZERO crimes. We have to pay the person (another waste of money)at the cop shop to record the info into the useless database .

Vmaxx

I can remember when I was In the army at fort knox 87-91 it you passed a check & test & had the cash you walked out with it then & there. Only records were kept at the gun store. I bought a few then was forced to register when I returned home to MI.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Yes
Its is a waste of MY time and solves ZERO crimes. We have to pay the person (another waste of money)at the cop shop to record the info into the useless database .
Of course it is. Remember, this whole process was started after the "Ossian Sweet" incident, as a means of controlling who can or cannot buy a handgun. i.e., it's racist in nature. At least in the beginning it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.