Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog attacks dog. Man kills dog.

Dog attacks dog. Man kills dog.

This is an interesting article.

In short, a man walking his greyhound faced a 140-lb attacking dog which had gotten loose from it's owner. The man shot the attacking dog twice, killing it. Police say it appears to be justified.

I think so.

What's even more interesting than the comments at the bottom of the page are how quickly people around here are to down-check the obvious "don't hurt the cute puppy" types who spoke out against the owner defending himself and his dog.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I would have done the same thing if an aggressive dog attacked my 105 pound Black Lab. My dog will survive
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

[the owner] maintained that her dog is not aggressive and did not attack the greyhound's owner.
    Yeah right. And when the dog is charging, he could be going for the man or the dog.

"Owner: Bullmastiff needlessly shot to death"

Ya know, unless you subsitute toy poodle, dachsund, or chihuaha, those words should never go together. Then you just need to squish 'em.

"He suddenly darted toward the greyhound, she said, pulling her along. She fell and was dragged about 15 feet across a grass slope and a sidewalk"

Is this some other definition of "not aggressive" I'm not familiar with?

"whose owner yelled to get her dog away, tried to grab the leash and kicked her dog before pulling out a gun and shooting it twice"

Yelled and kicked and couldn't break up the fight, yeah, not aggressive at all.

"If he was aggressive, he would have went after the owner in self-defense"

Uh, no, darlin'. Dogs that can break away from an intended target are the ones who aren't agressive. Being unable to shift focus from what the dog is going after DEFINES aggression.

On the news clip I saw tonight the woman claims the greyhound charged her dog first? Sounds like a different version than the article.

Not saying it happened that way, but if it did, would the greyhounds owner still be justified if his dog instigated the attack?

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    On the news clip I saw tonight the woman claims the greyhound charged her dog first?
    My oldest daughter and her husband have a greyhound and I must tell you it's not the least bit aggressive...timid would more aptly describe the dog's disposition. From my limited exposure with the breed, I'd give zero credibility to the bullmastiff owner's charging claim.
    Last edited by Felix; 03-04-2011 at 05:02 AM.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    My oldest daughter and her husband have a greyhound and I must tell you it's not the least bit aggressive...timid would more aptly describe the dog's disposition. From my limited exposure with the breed, I'd give zero credibility to the bullmastiff owner's charging claim.
    it's all in how you raise the dog, i have had rottweilers all my life and the ones i've had were just the sweetest damn things around.
    The lady with the bullmastif probably never trained her dog or did much with it in terms of raising it up to be a sweetie.
    which in my opinion when you got a dog that big making sure it is sweet is rule number 1!

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    On the news clip I saw tonight the woman claims the greyhound charged her dog first? Sounds like a different version than the article.
    What channel? Got a link? Considering the greyhound's owner still had a hold of his dog and that she was drug across the sidewalk, I'd give that version zero credibility. Even IF the greyhound "lunged", that's a big difference between dragging the owner 15 feet and then continuing to charge.

Regardless of whether we're walking in the neighborhood, in a park, or on a trail - my dogs are always leashed. Nearly every other dog we encounter is NOT leashed. If another dog comes after mine under those circumstances it will lose - not to my dog, to my sidearm. I don't like it, because I think more of dogs than I do most people but that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnScotsman View Post
    Regardless of whether we're walking in the neighborhood, in a park, or on a trail - my dogs are always leashed. Nearly every other dog we encounter is NOT leashed. If another dog comes after mine under those circumstances it will lose - not to my dog, to my sidearm. I don't like it, because I think more of dogs than I do most people but that's just the way it is.
    damn straight, i got a rottweiler, and since i got her at 7 weeks old loose dogs have attacked her, poor thing, now i just put a serious ass whippin on hem with asp 21" baton when they get close.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    I would have done the same thing if an aggressive dog attacked my 105 pound Black Lab. My dog will survive
    So would I if anything attacked my Collies. Or anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    What channel? Got a link? Considering the greyhound's owner still had a hold of his dog and that she was drug across the sidewalk, I'd give that version zero credibility. Even IF the greyhound "lunged", that's a big difference between dragging the owner 15 feet and then continuing to charge.
    It was on TheDenverChannel. I can't find a link on their site, but a quick google search came up with this one.
    http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/M...117288533.html
    I don't buy her story, but then I don't believe most of what I read in newspapers anymore either.

Watching the news this morning I think the reporter stated that the shooter of the dog was justified in the actions.

No charges to be placed on the shooter

The owner of the target and now deceased dog is getting a citation for “failure to control a dangerous animal” or something similar.

Sad actually, aggressive dogs are most often the fault of the owner, behavior problems with dogs are always the fault of the owner.
    Last edited by DinFreemont; 03-07-2011 at 03:43 AM.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P.J. O'Rourke

"The Humane Society is looking any possible charges for both parties involved. The man who pulled the trigger faces possible animal cruelty charges, while Martinez could be charged with unlawful possession of a dangerous dog."

They could face charges from the Humane Society? Someone clarify for me when we made the Humane Society a governmental agency enabled to charge citizens? Or is this mistaken reporting?

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    "The Humane Society is looking any possible charges for both parties involved. The man who pulled the trigger faces possible animal cruelty charges...
    LOL

Good luck with that, idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    LOL

Good luck with that, idiots.
    Some needs to find a way to sue the HSUS completely out of business. They go WAAAYYY overboard in their opinions as to what is abuse/cruelty.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Someone needs to find the HSUS vacuoidal void of all justification of any sort of government position.

What MORON gave them their foothold into the U.S. Government payroll, and WHY???

Oh, embarrassing, given as this has already gone out on 740 discrete, non-traceable channel'd sites.
    Last edited by since9; 03-08-2011 at 04:26 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Guys, it isn't the Humane Society of the United States. Colorado uses local Humane Societies (Pikes Peak here in El Paso County) much as other states use the ASPCA as a quasi-police agent on animal abuse/cruelty investigations and subsequent charges. And in general, they do a great job of putting the ******* bastards who mistreat animals in court and hopefully behind bars. I supported the HSUS since I was a boy until their PAC supported obooba. I wrote and told them why I would no longer be a member. Their loss, as I have several other animal charities who get what they used to. Anyway, back East most jurisdictions had Animal Control Officers that did much the same thing. Out West, they use stand alone agencies. I still think the HSUS is a great organization, but my enemies friends are not friends of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Guys, it isn't the Humane Society of the United States. Colorado uses local Humane Societies (Pikes Peak here in El Paso County) much as other states use the ASPCA as a quasi-police agent on animal abuse/cruelty investigations and subsequent charges.

I don't have a problem with them investigating and making a reccomendation. I do have a problem with the news reporting it as though they have the actual power to make the charges themselves.

Guys...
    Sorry, but you've been trumped by two long-term Cos residents since pre-60 dates with whom I'm related.

I'd add about a dozen others dating back to the 1800s, but at some point, this line of crap gets a bit ridiculous!

Wanna go further? I think a lunch somewhere here in town might clear the air.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Some needs to find a way to sue the HSUS completely out of business. They go WAAAYYY overboard in their opinions as to what is abuse/cruelty.

OCW, agreed, 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Sorry, but you've been trumped by two long-term Cos residents since pre-60 dates with whom I'm related.

I'd add about a dozen others dating back to the 1800s, but at some point, this line of crap gets a bit ridiculous!

Wanna go further? I think a lunch somewhere here in town might clear the air.
    I'm missing your point, Since.

Dangerous animal attacks animal/self. Self defends.

Gunslinger, do you REALLY not comprehend the sequence of events, here, that you find it necessary to question it as "missing my point?"

Get real, dude. We live in Colorado. My family has lived here for several decades, has dispatches a couple of bears, several deer, fox... Crap, man. While conferring with my folks prior to their three-week visit with friends throughout the southwest, I spent twenty minutes, my own choosing, less than 20 feet with a four point buck. Why? Because it was there! Why not? We "conferred" for about twenty minutes before it slided on back to the side of my parent's house.

It's mate, a doe, remained on the sidewalk for another half an hour. Just standing there. Mom and I watched.

Life is, folks. Grow a brain.
    Last edited by since9; 03-11-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Perhaps that "lunch somewhere" might help clear the air.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Dangerous animal attacks animal/self. Self defends.

Gunslinger, do you REALLY not comprehend the sequence of events, here, that you find it necessary to question it as "missing my point?"

Get real, dude. We live in Colorado. My family has lived here for several decades, has dispatches a couple of bears, several deer, fox... Crap, man. While conferring with my folks prior to their three-week visit with friends throughout the southwest, I spent twenty minutes, my own choosing, less than 20 feet with a four point buck. Why? Because it was there! Why not? We "conferred" for about twenty minutes before it slided on back to the side of my parent's house.

It's mate, a doe, remained on the sidewalk for another half an hour. Just standing there. Mom and I watched.

Life is, folks. Grow a brain.
    My post was about who is delegated animal control responsibility in COS, not about shooting an animal in self defense--or hunting. I mentioned HSUS because of my past history with them and why I stopped supporting them after they supported Obama. I said how I abhor those who committ cruelty to animals, not ethical hunters. Are you telling me 'I' need to "grow a brain"? I think most would agree my brain functions quite well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast