• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dog attacks dog. Man kills dog.

since9

Campaign Veteran
This is an interesting article.

In short, a man walking his greyhound faced a 140-lb attacking dog which had gotten loose from it's owner. The man shot the attacking dog twice, killing it. Police say it appears to be justified.

I think so.

What's even more interesting than the comments at the bottom of the page are how quickly people around here are to down-check the obvious "don't hurt the cute puppy" types who spoke out against the owner defending himself and his dog.

mahkagari

"Owner: Bullmastiff needlessly shot to death"

Ya know, unless you subsitute toy poodle, dachsund, or chihuaha, those words should never go together. Then you just need to squish 'em.

"He suddenly darted toward the greyhound, she said, pulling her along. She fell and was dragged about 15 feet across a grass slope and a sidewalk"

Is this some other definition of "not aggressive" I'm not familiar with?

"whose owner yelled to get her dog away, tried to grab the leash and kicked her dog before pulling out a gun and shooting it twice"

Yelled and kicked and couldn't break up the fight, yeah, not aggressive at all.

"If he was aggressive, he would have went after the owner in self-defense"

Uh, no, darlin'. Dogs that can break away from an intended target are the ones who aren't agressive. Being unable to shift focus from what the dog is going after DEFINES aggression.

zach

On the news clip I saw tonight the woman claims the greyhound charged her dog first? Sounds like a different version than the article.

Not saying it happened that way, but if it did, would the greyhounds owner still be justified if his dog instigated the attack?

Felix

On the news clip I saw tonight the woman claims the greyhound charged her dog first?

My oldest daughter and her husband have a greyhound and I must tell you it's not the least bit aggressive...timid would more aptly describe the dog's disposition. From my limited exposure with the breed, I'd give zero credibility to the bullmastiff owner's charging claim.

Last edited:

js5439

My oldest daughter and her husband have a greyhound and I must tell you it's not the least bit aggressive...timid would more aptly describe the dog's disposition. From my limited exposure with the breed, I'd give zero credibility to the bullmastiff owner's charging claim.

it's all in how you raise the dog, i have had rottweilers all my life and the ones i've had were just the sweetest damn things around.
The lady with the bullmastif probably never trained her dog or did much with it in terms of raising it up to be a sweetie.
which in my opinion when you got a dog that big making sure it is sweet is rule number 1!

mahkagari

On the news clip I saw tonight the woman claims the greyhound charged her dog first? Sounds like a different version than the article.

What channel? Got a link? Considering the greyhound's owner still had a hold of his dog and that she was drug across the sidewalk, I'd give that version zero credibility. Even IF the greyhound "lunged", that's a big difference between dragging the owner 15 feet and then continuing to charge.

RockyMtnScotsman

Regardless of whether we're walking in the neighborhood, in a park, or on a trail - my dogs are always leashed. Nearly every other dog we encounter is NOT leashed. If another dog comes after mine under those circumstances it will lose - not to my dog, to my sidearm. I don't like it, because I think more of dogs than I do most people but that's just the way it is.

js5439

Regardless of whether we're walking in the neighborhood, in a park, or on a trail - my dogs are always leashed. Nearly every other dog we encounter is NOT leashed. If another dog comes after mine under those circumstances it will lose - not to my dog, to my sidearm. I don't like it, because I think more of dogs than I do most people but that's just the way it is.

damn straight, i got a rottweiler, and since i got her at 7 weeks old loose dogs have attacked her, poor thing, now i just put a serious ass whippin on hem with asp 21" baton when they get close.

zach

What channel? Got a link? Considering the greyhound's owner still had a hold of his dog and that she was drug across the sidewalk, I'd give that version zero credibility. Even IF the greyhound "lunged", that's a big difference between dragging the owner 15 feet and then continuing to charge.

It was on TheDenverChannel. I can't find a link on their site, but a quick google search came up with this one.
http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Man_Shoots_Kills_Dog_That_Attacked_His_Greyhound_117288533.html
I don't buy her story, but then I don't believe most of what I read in newspapers anymore either.

DinFreemont

Watching the news this morning I think the reporter stated that the shooter of the dog was justified in the actions.

No charges to be placed on the shooter

The owner of the target and now deceased dog is getting a citation for “failure to control a dangerous animal” or something similar.

Sad actually, aggressive dogs are most often the fault of the owner, behavior problems with dogs are always the fault of the owner.

Last edited:

mahkagari

"The Humane Society is looking any possible charges for both parties involved. The man who pulled the trigger faces possible animal cruelty charges, while Martinez could be charged with unlawful possession of a dangerous dog."

They could face charges from the Humane Society? Someone clarify for me when we made the Humane Society a governmental agency enabled to charge citizens? Or is this mistaken reporting?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Someone needs to find the HSUS vacuoidal void of all justification of any sort of government position.

What MORON gave them their foothold into the U.S. Government payroll, and WHY???

Oh, embarrassing, given as this has already gone out on 740 discrete, non-traceable channel'd sites.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Guys, it isn't the Humane Society of the United States. Colorado uses local Humane Societies (Pikes Peak here in El Paso County) much as other states use the ASPCA as a quasi-police agent on animal abuse/cruelty investigations and subsequent charges. And in general, they do a great job of putting the ******* bastards who mistreat animals in court and hopefully behind bars. I supported the HSUS since I was a boy until their PAC supported obooba. I wrote and told them why I would no longer be a member. Their loss, as I have several other animal charities who get what they used to. Anyway, back East most jurisdictions had Animal Control Officers that did much the same thing. Out West, they use stand alone agencies. I still think the HSUS is a great organization, but my enemies friends are not friends of mine.

mahkagari

Guys, it isn't the Humane Society of the United States. Colorado uses local Humane Societies (Pikes Peak here in El Paso County) much as other states use the ASPCA as a quasi-police agent on animal abuse/cruelty investigations and subsequent charges.

I don't have a problem with them investigating and making a reccomendation. I do have a problem with the news reporting it as though they have the actual power to make the charges themselves.

since9

Campaign Veteran

Sorry, but you've been trumped by two long-term Cos residents since pre-60 dates with whom I'm related.

I'd add about a dozen others dating back to the 1800s, but at some point, this line of crap gets a bit ridiculous!

Wanna go further? I think a lunch somewhere here in town might clear the air.