• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dog attacks dog. Man kills dog.

Gunslinger

Sorry, but you've been trumped by two long-term Cos residents since pre-60 dates with whom I'm related.

I'd add about a dozen others dating back to the 1800s, but at some point, this line of crap gets a bit ridiculous!

Wanna go further? I think a lunch somewhere here in town might clear the air.

I'm missing your point, Since.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm missing your point, Since.

Dangerous animal attacks animal/self. Self defends.

Gunslinger, do you REALLY not comprehend the sequence of events, here, that you find it necessary to question it as "missing my point?"

Get real, dude. We live in Colorado. My family has lived here for several decades, has dispatches a couple of bears, several deer, fox... Crap, man. While conferring with my folks prior to their three-week visit with friends throughout the southwest, I spent twenty minutes, my own choosing, less than 20 feet with a four point buck. Why? Because it was there! Why not? We "conferred" for about twenty minutes before it slided on back to the side of my parent's house.

It's mate, a doe, remained on the sidewalk for another half an hour. Just standing there. Mom and I watched.

Life is, folks. Grow a brain.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Dangerous animal attacks animal/self. Self defends.

Gunslinger, do you REALLY not comprehend the sequence of events, here, that you find it necessary to question it as "missing my point?"

Get real, dude. We live in Colorado. My family has lived here for several decades, has dispatches a couple of bears, several deer, fox... Crap, man. While conferring with my folks prior to their three-week visit with friends throughout the southwest, I spent twenty minutes, my own choosing, less than 20 feet with a four point buck. Why? Because it was there! Why not? We "conferred" for about twenty minutes before it slided on back to the side of my parent's house.

It's mate, a doe, remained on the sidewalk for another half an hour. Just standing there. Mom and I watched.

Life is, folks. Grow a brain.

My post was about who is delegated animal control responsibility in COS, not about shooting an animal in self defense--or hunting. I mentioned HSUS because of my past history with them and why I stopped supporting them after they supported Obama. I said how I abhor those who committ cruelty to animals, not ethical hunters. Are you telling me 'I' need to "grow a brain"? I think most would agree my brain functions quite well.

rushcreek2

Did you Colorado Springs folks catch the incident in Sandcreek 2 days ago where a resident was charged with FELONY "cruelty to an animal" for shooting one of his next door neighbor's 2 pit bulls that were repeatedly allowed to run loose? Perhaps the shooting was deemed "unnecessary", but the dog owner was also charged with failure tocontrol a DANGEROUS animal. If the dog was DANGEROUS, and running loose - how can the shooter be charged for felony cruelty to an animal if the dog was on his property ?

Either there was more to this incident than reported on the PD blotter, or COSPD is sufffering from some sort of serious disconnect with reality. Are they over-reacting to 2 dog shootings within a week - thinking that they need to discourage dog shootings?

My advice to the guy who shot the dog - "not guilty, not guilty, not guilty". Charge should be dismissed forthwith.

sharkey

I almost shot a Great Dane in Boise. The dog would constantly get loose and act aggressively towards children. One day several kids were playing outside (you don't see that much back here in Phoenix) and this dog got loose again. I had my hand on my gun (still holstered) as I approached the dog. His owners pulled up as I was about to draw. Now my plans were to attempt to get this dog back to their house and tie it up to the front door but I wasn't taking any chances. That dog was huge.

I'm glad I never had to shoot it, especially in front of it's owners, but I would have if necessary. It didn't get loose as often after that.

rushcreek2

The human-canine bond can be as strong (or stronger) than the human bond.

I had a similar scary incident back in 2006 involving two huge "pit bull" types - about the size of Boxers- frightening some children at the school bus stop in front of my home in COS. The dogs were actually being playful, but were jumping up on the kids. I ushered the kids into my living room. Fortunately the parent drove by and I explained what had happend. She went ahead and drove the kids to school. The CSPD arrived shortly afterwards. The dogs were gone by then. I had my right hand on my holstered glock while trying to separate dogs from kids, and get the kids into my house.

You shoot somebody's dog - you may be confronted with the prospect of entertaining an assault on your person by the owner - or even find yourself in the predicament of having to make a determination as to whether or not to also shoot the dog-owner.

I have a 3 year-old Chihuahua named "Miss Daisey". God forbid that someone would intentionally harm her. My impulse would be the same as though my wife was harmed. I have no desire to own a dog that could inflict serious injury or death upon a person. There's a time,place, and purpose for such "security" breeds - but running amuck in neighborhoods isn't one of them.

The POINT IS - folks - KEEP YOUR CANINE LOVED ONES UNDER CONTROL.

Last edited:

js5439

i find little dogs to bite more people than any other size dog
but people give me **** because i got a rottweiler
"who is a total sweetheart"
i completely agree with the action you took on the pit bull
you were ready but did nothing to provoke any sort of problems

but saying someone shouldn't be able to have a certain breed unless......
sounds just like the old assault weapon ban

since9

Campaign Veteran
My post was about who is delegated animal control responsibility in COS, not about shooting an animal in self defense--or hunting. I mentioned HSUS because of my past history with them and why I stopped supporting them after they supported Obama. I said how I abhor those who committ cruelty to animals, not ethical hunters. Are you telling me 'I' need to "grow a brain"? I think most would agree my brain functions quite well.

No, Gunslinger, I'm not. That was reserved for the folks at HSUS who wanted to prefer charges for against the defender. Sorry if things came across a little abruptly. I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but I do not consider removing deer's natural predators, wolves and mountain lion, from the equation then letting them overpopulate to the point of starvation as being humane. Thus, I've hunted, and while not active these days, I enjoy deer and elk stew/stakes whenever my good friends who are hunters are willing to share.

As for the society's attempt to prefer charges on the guy who shot the attacking dog, that's just insane. Apparently none of them have any clue as to how large and powerful an attacking 140-lb Bull Mastif really is. I would gladly prefer an 80-lb North American wolf!

Gunslinger

No, Gunslinger, I'm not. That was reserved for the folks at HSUS who wanted to prefer charges for against the defender. Sorry if things came across a little abruptly. I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but I do not consider removing deer's natural predators, wolves and mountain lion, from the equation then letting them overpopulate to the point of starvation as being humane. Thus, I've hunted, and while not active these days, I enjoy deer and elk stew/stakes whenever my good friends who are hunters are willing to share.

As for the society's attempt to prefer charges on the guy who shot the attacking dog, that's just insane. Apparently none of them have any clue as to how large and powerful an attacking 140-lb Bull Mastif really is. I would gladly prefer an 80-lb North American wolf!

Glad we cleared that up, Since, as we generally are in agreement on issues and have backgrounds that are very similar--AF officer, aviator, etc. I have no problem with ethical hunters--have many friends who are, and see it as much more humane than starvation or disease for herds that need to be thinned. As to the charge, none was ever made, as the Pikes Peak Humane Society considered it pure, self defense--as do I. I would have done exactly the same thing in his circumstances.

Rushcreek--had not read about that event, but sounds like more details are needed. Do you have a link to the article?

JamesB

The human-canine bond can be as strong (or stronger) than the human bond.

You shoot somebody's dog - you may be confronted with the prospect of entertaining an assault on your person by the owner - or even find yourself in the predicament of having to make a determination as to whether or not to also shoot the dog-owner.

I have a 3 year-old Chihuahua named "Miss Daisey". God forbid that someone would intentionally harm her. My impulse would be the same as though my wife was harmed.

A dog loves you far more than a wife ever will. If you don't believe, lock them both in the trunk of a car for half an hour and see which one is happy to see you.

I still have a hard time believing that we have come to the point in society where dogs and humans have the same rights. Killing a dog, self defense or not, is NOT the same thing as killing a human being. We train dogs to work with police because you can send a dog into a situation where the risk to a human would be too great, but if one of these 'canine officers' is injured, the alleged BG is charged with injuring a Police Officer.

Slippery slope. Watch out for flash floods.

since9

Campaign Veteran
We train dogs to work with police because you can send a dog into a situation where the risk to a human would be too great...

Hence the entire justification for their employment in the first place, that dogs are expendable, but humans are not...

...but if one of these 'canine officers' is injured, the alleged BG is charged with injuring a Police Officer

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! That totally undermines the entire reason they were employed in the first place.

Ok, since they're equal in stature, discharge all police dogs effective immediately and require humans to put their lives on the line instead.

Case closed.

Slippery slope. Watch out for flash floods.

And morons. They're like salamanders...