Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Pistol

Buying a Pistol

Last edited by RenkaiWulf; 03-03-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Banned
    I would caution against carrying a .22 as a self defense pistol. You would have to shoot your asailant likely multiple times in the face/head area to be quickly effective. Many people can't do that, and it just kinda looks bad on you when the media and prosecutors point at you and say, "he unloaded half a clip in the poor guys (read, street ghetto rats) face.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 03-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.

yea i understand that but this would more than liking be used mostly for plinking, small game and just all around functional pistol plus i dont have much $ to spend

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I would caution against carrying a .22 as a self defense pistol. You would have to shoot your asailant likely multiple times in the face/head area to be quickly effective. Many people can't do that, and it just kinda looks bad on you when the media and prosecutors point at you and say, "he unloaded half a clip in the poor guys (read, street ghetto rats) face.
    The never ending caliber wars thing is my pet peeve............

There is no magic bullet size. Many folks have "he unloaded half a clip in the poor guys (read, street ghetto rats) face" with calibers much larger than the .22... and that often didn't stop the bad guy either.

There are much more important considerations when choosing a gun than just how big the bullet is.

Truth is... no matter what size the bullet is having a gun that shoots bullets is what is best.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

There is no magic bullet size. Many folks have "he unloaded half a clip in the poor guys (read, street ghetto rats) face" with calibers much larger than the .22... and that often didn't stop the bad guy either.

There are much more important considerations when choosing a gun than just how big the bullet is.

Truth is... no matter what size the bullet is having a gun that shoots bullets is what is best.
    +1

Most professional hit men prefer a 22 to get the job done. Less mess!

also beats swatting at the bad guy with my purse
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

The never ending caliber wars thing is my pet peeve, too. Just use what you want knowing the limitations of the particular round.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    I agree bikenut, a well placed shot with a .22 will do the trick. A bigger caliber does tend to shift the odds in your favor.

A box of 9mm should cost about 30$/100, if you reload, then your costs could come down to less than 5$/100.

As always the best defense caliber is....
    Whatever caliber you can control with confidence to stop the threat.

As for the .22 being a defense round...just ask these guys what they think...

BRADY-paralyzed for life
    REAGAN- almost killed/seriously wounded
    KENNEDY-DEAD...guess you can't ask him.

I think they would have an opinion on the effectiveness of a .22.

JMO

Banned
    I forgot what Brady was shot with, but IIRC Regan was hit with a .38, and JFK was hit with a hunting round, wasn't it a .30 caliber?
    Last edited by stainless1911; 03-03-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Nope...all were done with .22LR...

As posted, most hit men preferred .22, small, clean, and quiet.

After the advent of ballistics technology began developing in the late 1890's-early 1900's; some even went to .45cal shot out of a .410 smooth bore to prevent ballistic tracing.

maybe you could include .22WMR as a possibility. it is a great round. it is far more functional for self defense, and it is a great plinking round.

i would al least consider it.

Banned
    Kennedy was a .22LR? I didn't know that would make his neck explode like that.

When I checked Wiki, it lead me to this round. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5x52m...licher-Carcano
    Last edited by stainless1911; 03-03-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

When I checked Wiki, it lead me to this round. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5x52m...licher-Carcano
    Robert Kennedy. .22 Iver Johnson. I have the exact model gun with just a few thousands difference in serial number. Not intentional just a coincidence. An Iver Johnson pistol was used to kill McKinley too but it was a .32.
    Last edited by Venator; 03-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Yes, with Reagan; they were hollow points. That's where the major drama media kept telling everyone he was shot with "exploding" bullets! As usual, dumb a$$ media can't get the facts straight. They were a standard load LR hollow point. Through the armpit, shattered off a rib and a small piece is what nearly made it to his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by RenkaiWulf View Post
    ok so today i went and sold my old rifle (dont use much) and was planning on buying a handgun the smith & wesson 22a to be exact so i go to get a permit to buy a pistol and im told i cant buy it from a dealer because im under 21 years old so i didnt bother to get the permit and of course i was very disappointed. I was wondering if there was anyone in the lake orion area that i could buy a pistol off instead. it would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    Hope you get the buying issues resolved. The 22A is a great casual shooting type handgun... I have one, and really enjoy it.

Got my pistol >.<

i got my pistol it is a Ruger p89 9mm
    here is a picture gun,case,3-15 round mags and a lock for the box

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by RenkaiWulf View Post
    i got my pistol it is a Ruger p89 9mm
    here is a picture gun,case,3-15 round mags and a lock for the box

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    you apparently did!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Banned
    SWEET!

Can't wait to get the P22 out of layaway. 22s are a great little round.

anyone know if there is any open carry get together's near lake orion sometime soon , i dont have any ammo for it yet but i figure i can get used to carrying it
    Last edited by RenkaiWulf; 03-03-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Banned
    Don't carry an empty gun! This isn't Kalifornia. Besides, its not safe. A box of .22s should be 2.50$ go get some pop cans and return them.

its a 9mm not a .22 cal i spent on the gun none for ammo for a bit

Banned
    Gotcha. I still wouldn't carry it empty.

i understand your feeling i ment mostly around the house and yard to get used to it gotta start somewhere
    by the time some get together happens i should have ammo
    Last edited by RenkaiWulf; 03-03-2011 at 06:56 PM.

For 9mm I carry Hornady Critical Defense (About $1/round) 115 grain JHP with Polymer HallowPoint insert.

I also carry SPEER GoldDot 146 r. Hollow Point. (About $.50/round)

I alternate rounds in my magazine back and forth between these two. Every bullet has a weakness. It's my hope if one of these bullets (which I have researched and I am confident will perform well) encounters a weakness, the bullet that is right behind it (which is different) will not have the same weakness.

Do your own research, but I highly recommend these two rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6Re_Gwcwc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5aGOjyV6CU

Might want to consider the Gold Dot 124 9mm +P Also..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcwaMwB13Gg

I'm considering a switch from the 147 gr. GoldDot to the 124 gr. GoldDot. Anyone have any thoughts about this? I'm liking the 124 because:

1. More Torque (Energy).
    2. Less Penetration. (13.5 versus 16.5)
    3. Better expansion.
    Last edited by TheQ; 03-03-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast