• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a Pistol

stainless1911

Banned
I would caution against carrying a .22 as a self defense pistol. You would have to shoot your asailant likely multiple times in the face/head area to be quickly effective. Many people can't do that, and it just kinda looks bad on you when the media and prosecutors point at you and say, "he unloaded half a clip in the poor guys (read, street ghetto rats) face.

Last edited:

RenkaiWulf

yea i understand that but this would more than liking be used mostly for plinking, small game and just all around functional pistol plus i dont have much $ to spend

B

Bikenut

I would caution against carrying a .22 as a self defense pistol. You would have to shoot your asailant likely multiple times in the face/head area to be quickly effective. Many people can't do that, and it just kinda looks bad on you when the media and prosecutors point at you and say, "he unloaded half a clip in the poor guys (read, street ghetto rats) face.

The never ending caliber wars thing is my pet peeve............

There is no magic bullet size. Many folks have "he unloaded half a clip in the poor guys (read, street ghetto rats) face" with calibers much larger than the .22... and that often didn't stop the bad guy either.

There are much more important considerations when choosing a gun than just how big the bullet is.

Truth is... no matter what size the bullet is having a gun that shoots bullets is what is best.

Onnie

There is no magic bullet size. Many folks have "he unloaded half a clip in the poor guys (read, street ghetto rats) face" with calibers much larger than the .22... and that often didn't stop the bad guy either.

There are much more important considerations when choosing a gun than just how big the bullet is.

Truth is... no matter what size the bullet is having a gun that shoots bullets is what is best.

+1

Most professional hit men prefer a 22 to get the job done. Less mess!

also beats swatting at the bad guy with my purse:shocker:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

The never ending caliber wars thing is my pet peeve, too. Just use what you want knowing the limitations of the particular round.

stainless1911

Banned
I agree bikenut, a well placed shot with a .22 will do the trick. A bigger caliber does tend to shift the odds in your favor.

A box of 9mm should cost about 30$/100, if you reload, then your costs could come down to less than 5$/100.

WARCHILD

As always the best defense caliber is....
Whatever caliber you can control with confidence to stop the threat.

As for the .22 being a defense round...just ask these guys what they think...

BRADY-paralyzed for life
REAGAN- almost killed/seriously wounded
KENNEDY-DEAD...guess you can't ask him.

I think they would have an opinion on the effectiveness of a .22.

JMO

WARCHILD

Nope...all were done with .22LR...

As posted, most hit men preferred .22, small, clean, and quiet.

After the advent of ballistics technology began developing in the late 1890's-early 1900's; some even went to .45cal shot out of a .410 smooth bore to prevent ballistic tracing.

ElectricianLU58

maybe you could include .22WMR as a possibility. it is a great round. it is far more functional for self defense, and it is a great plinking round.

i would al least consider it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Last edited:

WARCHILD

Kennedy was a .22LR? I didn't know that would make his neck explode like that.

When I checked Wiki, it lead me to this round. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5x52mm_Mannlicher-Carcano

Yes, with Reagan; they were hollow points. That's where the major drama media kept telling everyone he was shot with "exploding" bullets! As usual, dumb a$$ media can't get the facts straight. They were a standard load LR hollow point. Through the armpit, shattered off a rib and a small piece is what nearly made it to his heart.

Blk97F150

ok so today i went and sold my old rifle (dont use much) and was planning on buying a handgun the smith & wesson 22a to be exact so i go to get a permit to buy a pistol and im told i cant buy it from a dealer because im under 21 years old so i didnt bother to get the permit and of course i was very disappointed. I was wondering if there was anyone in the lake orion area that i could buy a pistol off instead. it would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

Hope you get the buying issues resolved. The 22A is a great casual shooting type handgun... I have one, and really enjoy it.

RenkaiWulf

anyone know if there is any open carry get together's near lake orion sometime soon , i dont have any ammo for it yet but i figure i can get used to carrying it

Last edited: