• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Restaurant's

Bruce1706

I am new to this forum and to OCing . I have a question that i think i know the answer to but i am looking for reassurance . I live in Lumberton and have had no problem OCing in the Golden Corral , Lowes ,Walmart , a couple of Chinese restaurants , and a few other businesses . I recently went into the newest Chinese restaurant not carrying which serves beer and wine and they had a sign up that read ( Thank you for showing us your Guns ) . I started thinking that no one is suppose to be carrying in here open or concealed because they serve and consume alcohol . Am i correct or am i missing something?

REDFIVE48

That's interesting. If they are saying that they endorse Open Carry in their restaurant, does that mean it's OK in their private business to allow anyone to carry open even though there is a state law against it. Does section b3 below apply to lunch/dinner as an 'event'?

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Smith45acp

Technically and unfortunately this would still be illegal.

I OC'd at least a half dozen times into a deli before I noticed a tiny little beer fridge they had in a corner. The owner and employees always welcomed me with a big smile, so they obviously didn't care.

The day I noticed it I had to go put my pistol in my car.

rotorhead

Yes it's still illegal, even if the owner wanted to accept carriers into his business. The law doesn't make exceptions for business owners to make up their own minds in this context.

Ricky

Yes it's still illegal, even if the owner wanted to accept carriers into his business. The law doesn't make exceptions for business owners to make up their own minds in this context.

Must admit I have carried in a Chinese rest that does serve beer, BUT I have yet to see anyone with a beer, It is a buffet...When I say I have carried I'm talking in the 20-30 time range...

rotorhead

It's not all that uncommon to carry in places that, technically, we shouldn't carry in. In many cases an establishment's ownership offers no objections. I've mistakenly carried in places that are, by law, forbidden to carry in myself.

This important part to remember is that while management might be ok with it, the law is such that it doesn't matter. We have to be careful of complacency in this regard. In the end, you'll be slapped with the ol' "ignorance of the law is no excuse" hand. It's up to gun owners to understand the laws and be in 100% compliance with them.

In your case, it would be easy to carry there unaware that they serve alcohol, especially if you never see people with a beer. That said, and quick check of their menu can clear up any confusion. If there's alcohol offered on it, then we know the deal :)

Ricky

It's not all that uncommon to carry in places that, technically, we shouldn't carry in. In many cases an establishment's ownership offers no objections. I've mistakenly carried in places that are, by law, forbidden to carry in myself.

This important part to remember is that while management might be ok with it, the law is such that it doesn't matter. We have to be careful of complacency in this regard. In the end, you'll be slapped with the ol' "ignorance of the law is no excuse" hand. It's up to gun owners to understand the laws and be in 100% compliance with them.

In your case, it would be easy to carry there unaware that they serve alcohol, especially if you never see people with a beer. That said, and quick check of their menu can clear up any confusion. If there's alcohol offered on it, then we know the deal :)
True, True,....Hate that unarmed feeling ............

Spearhead

I agree this law needs to be amended. I don't usually call ahead to some restaurant I've never be in to inquire if they have an ABC license. By the time I'm inside and see the paper hanging on the wall, I've already broken the law.

I mean, how difficult would it be if there is some incident for the cop to drag his BAC meter out of the cruiser and give me a blow-test if there was some question about my alcohol consumption, or easier than that, just ask the waiter if I had ordered/consumed alcohol.

Am I any less dangerous if I would down a six-pack and then go into a restaurant that doesn't sell booze, carrying legally, or if I go into a restaurant that does serve booze and don't drink?

Dreamer

I had a similar situation several months ago. I was in downtown Greenville on a Saturday evening, and had a craving for Pizza, so I stepped into a locally-owned pizza joint which was near ECU's campus (so I didn't think they would serve alcohol). I took about three steps into the establishment, and saw a small beer advertisement on the menu behind the counter. (I was CCing, because it was cold outside, and I had a big coat on).

The manager was sitting in a booth, doing some paperwork, and I turned to him and asked, "do you serve alcohol here?". He said "yes", and I said "Oh, I'm sorry..." and turned and left...

Luckily I was CCing. There were three GPD officers standing a few doors down on the sidewalk, and they were none the wiser...

Some states require that ABC license holding restaurants post their ABC permit number on the outside door or window. I wish they required that here in NC--it would make carrying (in any mode) a LOT easier...

Last edited: