• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry of a Taser? Why isn't anyone doing this?

DTOMSD

I have been searching around & haven't found any discussion on this idea...

The M26c Taser when holstered looks exactly like a firearm & still provides a huge crime deterrent & a solid self defense tool.

This accomplishes the OC goal of public firearm desensitization while bypassing the hassle of 1000ft from school zone restrictions.

Granted LEO contact is equally likely, yet probably less of a hassle once initiated considering the LEO will know upon visual inspection that he is looking at a taser.

I have spoken with several CA law enforcement agencies regarding carrying a taser & they all said the exact same things; it's not required to be carried openly/concealed (you can choose w/e you want), it's not subject to the 1,000ft school zone restriction, it's not required to be unloaded (cartridge).

This seems like a great tool for the OC movement & at the very least it could be used as a self defense backup for OC'ers who need to attend an event or do business at a location that will not allow firearms.

Thoughts?

TaserAdvancedM18Holster44855.jpg

DTOMSD

Why isn't anyone [open carrying TASERS]?

Maybe because:

"This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life."

See point #14 at the forum rules:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

I don't see how rule #14 really applies to this idea considering it would essentially accomplish all the same goals of open carrying & has nothing to do with the reason why rule #14 was written which was to (my interpretation) facilitate the idea of taking small steps in getting the public desensitized & preventing backlash that would be likely caused from carrying a rifle that would cause extreme alarm in non-desensitized areas.

Lemme know what you think, I wasn't expecting to be on the defense for this idea :D

Ca Patriot

I wonder if an LEO demaned to do an (e) check if you could then claim a violation of 4th amend because its not even a gun.

sharkey

I know you are saying to carry it instead of a firearm but I'll still answer it from my perspective.

1)People have been know to mix up their taser and gun.
2)If I shot someone and had a taser on my person it may be argued my force was excessive while if I only had a gun it's harder to argue.

BTW. I carry one chambered with 16 in the magazine. The real question should be why don't you just open carry bricks in Kalifornia. :p

Last edited:

Robin47

I have been searching around & haven't found any discussion on this idea...

The M26c Taser when holstered looks exactly like a firearm & still provides a huge crime deterrent & a solid self defense tool.

This accomplishes the OC goal of public firearm desensitization while bypassing the hassle of 1000ft from school zone restrictions.

Granted LEO contact is equally likely, yet probably less of a hassle once initiated considering the LEO will know upon visual inspection that he is looking at a taser.

I have spoken with several CA law enforcement agencies regarding carrying a taser & they all said the exact same things; it's not required to be carried openly/concealed (you can choose w/e you want), it's not subject to the 1,000ft school zone restriction, it's not required to be unloaded (cartridge).

This seems like a great tool for the OC movement & at the very least it could be used as a self defense backup for OC'ers who need to attend an event or do business at a location that will not allow firearms.

Thoughts?

TaserAdvancedM18Holster44855.jpg

I think that's kind of like "Bringing a knife to a gun fight".
I would rather have a gun which is the best you can do, and its our Right !

Robin47 :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't see how rule #14 really applies to this idea considering it would essentially accomplish all the same goals of open carrying & has nothing to do with the reason why rule #14 was written which was to (my interpretation) facilitate the idea of taking small steps in getting the public desensitized & preventing backlash that would be likely caused from carrying a rifle that would cause extreme alarm in non-desensitized areas.

Lemme know what you think, I wasn't expecting to be on the defense for this idea :D

Listen, this is painfully simple.

You asked why nobody discusses or OCs tasers. I gave you the polite answer. Here's the brusque version:

"Because this is a website about open carrying guns."

Its really that simple. The reason you don't see it discussed much is because this is not a taser forum, nor a self-defense forum. Its an open-carry-of-handguns forum. Same for the occasional low-post-count knucklehead who comes along and wonders why there is little discussion about concealed carry. "Ummm. You do realize this is an open carry forum, right?" is the usual reply.

This isn't about right or wrong. Nor is it about forum rules. You are not forbidden by the rules against discussing tasers. But, wondering why tasers aren't discussed on a gun forum is like wondering why beer is not served at a wine tasting.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wonder if an LEO demaned to do an (e) check if you could then claim a violation of 4th amend because its not even a gun.

Doubt it very much. It looks like a gun and a reasonable person would likely conclude the same, but knock yourself out if you have that kind of money and time. :D

Rev_sole

brick?

I know you are saying to carry it instead of a firearm but I'll still answer it from my perspective.

1)People have been know to mix up their taser and gun.
2)If I shot someone and had a taser on my person it may be argued my force was excessive while if I only had a gun it's harder to argue.

BTW. I carry one chambered with 16 in the magazine. The real question should be why don't you just open carry bricks in Kalifornia. :p

can i get a tactical holster for a brick?
that would be great for protesters. reloading would be hard.
I'll take two.

sharkey

Did an image search on "Brick Holster" and it looks like someone beat you to the idea although it's not very tacticool.

Awesome! I searched for one to include but didn't find anything other than cellphone holsters. :lol:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
In the once great state of Wisconsin, It is illegal to have any electronic defensive weapon on your person either concealed or exposed.
yes I can carry a loaded firearm on my side without any permitting process. but at the same time I cannot have pepper spray with a UV dye in it.

There are constitutional protections for firearms, we got d*** for protections against anything else.

There are even laws against "Facsimile firearms" here.