• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Optical open carry, and a hearty thank you!

BrewTownBagger

My wife's optometry practice is in the same building as my real estate office is. A few days ago a patient came in with a bag full of handguns, he was having problems sighting them in and wanted his eyes checked. He asked the doc if he could have the guns in her business and she laughed saying I was upstairs with a Glock on my hip right now. Well she called me down to meet her patient, and I spent a few minutes explaining how I open carry, and that I've been doing it daily for the last 5 months. I gave him my card and told him about wci and this forum. He thanked me repeatedly for having the guts to open carry and was looking forward to carrying himself when the law passes.

If anyone is looking for an eye exam where they can feel comfortable open carrying let me know. My wife welcomes it with open arms

protias

I carried in the Eye Care Vision Center in Brookfield before. No one said anything and no one was frightened.

jpm84092

My wife's optometry practice is in the same building as my real estate office is. A few days ago a patient came in with a bag full of handguns, he was having problems sighting them in and wanted his eyes checked. He asked the doc if he could have the guns in her business and she laughed saying I was upstairs with a Glock on my hip right now. Well she called me down to meet her patient, and I spent a few minutes explaining how I open carry, and that I've been doing it daily for the last 5 months. I gave him my card and told him about wci and this forum. He thanked me repeatedly for having the guts to open carry and was looking forward to carrying himself when the law passes.

If anyone is looking for an eye exam where they can feel comfortable open carrying let me know. My wife welcomes it with open arms

+1

MKEgal

I'm curious why he felt he needed to bring the guns along to get his eyes checked... :question:
But it's good to know another place isn't anti-rights.
Y'know, now that I have a little bit of money, maybe I should get my eyes checked. It's been years.

protias

I'm curious why he felt he needed to bring the guns along to get his eyes checked... :question:
Y'know, now that I have a little bit of money, maybe I should get my eyes checked. It's been years.
LASIK is something I really need.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

MY eye doc is a bullseye shooter and recommended thast I bring in a representative sample of what I shoot so he can take a look at the possible need to adjust the prescription based on sight radius and the difference between top dead center/left-right center and my actual hold position. Did you ever stand aiming at the x-ring while peering through those rotating lens goggles trying to decide if #1 or #2 was better? I have!

For those who are serious about their shooting, different prescriptions for different sets of sight radius/target distance makes enough sense to warrant the expense. For the casual shooter it may just be a question of tweaking the standard prescription to make "just enough" improvement in how/what you see through the lenses.

Now if only they could figure out how to do that for someone who only needs glasses for reading. (And no, bifocals with plain glass for the large part of the lens does not work. Tried it. Tilting my head up to get the reading portion of the lens throws everything off as well as restricting my field of view.)

stay safe.

phred

For those who are serious about their shooting, different prescriptions for different sets of sight radius/target distance makes enough sense to warrant the expense. For the casual shooter it may just be a question of tweaking the standard prescription to make "just enough" improvement in how/what you see through the lenses.

A while back I had my optician "fix" a prescription for me for shooting a handgun. To do that, I brought in one of pistols and he worked up a prescription that allowed me to clearly see the front sight. The diopter was tweaked for about 26" and those glasses helped me shoot better. After I learned how I was shooting, I could easily transfer the sight picture to my normal prescription eye glasses. An added benefit was that the 26" was also the distance to my computer screen, so not only did those glasses help me shoot better, they also helped my neck from hurting because I didn't have to cock my head at a funny angles trying to look through bifocals. That special pair was well worth the cost.