• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do I get dirty looks/comments when I open carry?

OC for ME

I was walking downtown carrying my Ruger SR40 like usual, and some punk basically said "Ohhh she's got a gun watch out" and several other dirty and random looks that night. WTF?! Its downtown Olympia... Why are people so freakin rude?

"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity." Robert A. Heinlein

or

“Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.” Fulton J. Sheen

My first thought based on the OP subject was, ugly gun? Nope, little people....

KBCraig

Good tip on the Probability Broach. Read the whole thing, it was very good.
I've never been a "comics guy", but I read everything Big Head Press puts out. Some of their early stuff wasn't that great, but none of it is less than good, or at least entertaining.

And of course, almost everything has a libertarian or anarchist bent. And if you think this forum is full of debatetarians, you should check out theirs!

"Escape from Terra" is a long, continually evolving serial, but it's quality writing and illustration.

eye95

I suspected from the panel shown that this was over-the-top crap. I read about half of the comic, threw up in my mouth a bit, and closed the window.

Extremist propaganda that makes those who defend rights all look wacko.

sharkey

I suspected from the panel shown that this was over-the-top crap. I read about half of the comic, threw up in my mouth a bit, and closed the window.

Strange. I see it as just another violent comic. I laughed about propertarians. They seem like confused anarchists. I skimmed wikipedia just to get more information.

In any case, you already look like a wacko extremist to those who long ago gave up their rights. At least some of you get to feel like you're an activist on the fringes when you carry. You get to feel like you're making a difference. I actually get a little jealous reading through the forums and hearing of going up against the system and filing lawsuits. I live in AZ and the war is damn near over here. Carrying a gun is normal and accepted. It's what most of you want. It's hard to be a soldier without a war to fight.

Stay hot or cold. I'm atheist but I see wisdom in this;

Revelation 3:16
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

REALteach4u

RB,

This is how our society has become conditioned. You can bet the male that made that comment was likely thinking that he needed to respond in that fashion because he knew you had the ability to make him wet himself in public.

I've had to remind certain folks around me on occasion that just because that particular item is in view does not mean that others are not strategically hidden.

ZO6Vettever

Soon to be OC'ing...

I OC'ed back in the mid seventies when I lived in Pa. where it was legal. I went to CC because it scared the crap out of a lot of people seeing a hippie type with a sidearm. We here in Florida are soon to get OC legal and I for one am lookin' forward to it. I CC now but I like the message it sends to the criminal element, "look at how many of us there are"! I think when it goes into effect there will be many trying it and the snowball effect will happen. I hope.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran

I haven't even looked at the comic -- excuse me, "graphic novel" -- but I read the actual book about 30 years ago and I thought it was pretty good. Of course, to cook it down into something with pictures for the illiterate they probably had to alter it considerably.

rushcreek2

Judging by the "personality" projection of some regular posters - it's fairly apparent why they don't experience rude inquiries. They are probably pretty self-assured individuals with or without a gun on their hips. Perhaps they "fit" the LEO profile, but no badge is observed - so a question lingers in the mind of the inquisitor. I often have lingering questions myself, but that fact doesn't entitle me to answers.

I am personally inclined towards projecting the image that I am "authorized" to wear my weapon under the laws of the respective State jurisdiction. Thinking this issue through a bit more - if you were off-duty, or plain clothes LE you have no obligation to respond, or satisfy someone's idle, and more than likely pernicious curiosity outside of acting in an official capacity. If questioned by someone exercising authority over private premises, I would respond with - "Why do you ask ? Is there some particular problem ? Well, I'll be happy to cover my weapon - or take my business somewhere else for that matter."

I am not disposed to allow someone - outside of an actual law enforcement contact - interogate me over my armed condition, and that fact will be communicated in a straight-forward manner.

I have only experienced one adolescent "guffaw" reaction while shopping at the Walmart on Space Center Dr in the Springs- which I simply shrugged off with an unconcerned glance in the person's direction. He chose not to pursue it further.

Those who do not want to entertain "inquiring minds" may want to consider working on their manner of display of countenance as well as their holstered firearm.
This is possible regardless of gender, or other characteristic attributes. It's possible to eliminate 90 % of idle curiosity, thereby conserving your mental faculties for more productive encounters.

rushcreek2

Just to add a footnote to this discussion, particularly respecting the feminine side of the equation. In Dallas a couple of days ago a woman in her 70's was accosted by 2 dirt-bag purse-snatchers as she was loading her car subsequent to shopping at a Walmart. It was still daytime. She was known to avoid shopping after dark due to her concern for her safety. The vermin drug her under their vehicle because the purse strap remained around her arm. She suffered serious injuries.

My point to be made here is - this is precisely WHY open carry is needed in our society.
More folks like us presenting an armed condition in shopping center parking lots will incourage such scum to hang-out elsewhere. Purse-snatchers are very near the top my list of eligible candidates for enhanced response initiatives.

Dreamer

Just to add a footnote to this discussion, particularly respecting the feminine side of the equation. In Dallas a couple of days ago a woman in her 70's was accosted by 2 dirt-bag purse-snatchers as she was loading her car subsequent to shopping at a Walmart. It was still daytime. She was known to avoid shopping after dark due to her concern for her safety. The vermin drug her under their vehicle because the purse strap remained around her arm. She suffered serious injuries.

This story should serve as a reminder for all women who choose to carry that your purse is NOT a good place to carry your firearm. Your purse is the first thing some thug is going to try and take from you, and what good is that gun going to do you if the BG takes your purse before you can draw?

Manufacturers like Galco should stop spending so much effort on making stylish purses with "pistol pockets" and other such foolishness, and START doing R&D on holsters that are specifically built for the female anatomy, and compatible with female attire.

Your gun belongs on your hip, NOT in some purse, briefcase, or backpack...

Read this fantastic article at "Cornered Cat" for a ore in-depth discussion of this issue:

http://www.corneredcat.com/holster/purse.aspx

Last edited:

XD40coyote

If you are just an average looking woman, then they really shouldn't even be noticing the gun. Of course if you dress like Lady Gaga and OC, then everyone will notice you LOL.

Western WA state- hmm, alot of Californication has been going on for some time there. I'd say stupid hippies and clueless progressive libtards are to blame. To them you are a "conservative", and worthy of contempt. I bet you'd get similar reactions if you wore a fur coat around these people. Now let's combine some fur with OC!

45acpForMe

There are alot of rude people in the world and some just happen to be anti's. :)

Don't let the occassional negative comment ruin your day. It is far more common to get positive and/or inquisitive comments than negative. In VA OC is becoming so common that I can go weeks without any comment or even anyone noticing. Some of our members put together an OC info card that we hand out to anyone interested. They can look it over later if you don't have time to talk. Your experience might not have been the best one to hand out a card but they do come in handy when you don't have time to talk (or they don't have the time).

I have had a couple people give me the "Stink Eye". The two that stand out were both woman and both older but not elderly. If you ever saw a movie where 100 people are facing the same way and one is facing the opposite, that happened to me with the first one. Both of them just stood there staring at me, very unapprovingly, to the point of being beyond rude. One I ignored because we were eating our dinner but the other I offered a "good morning" to as I passed her. She gave no response back but continued her glare.

One vocal encounter I had was after I walked into our local Walmart. An elderly lady (80+) must have seen my gun and broadcast to everyone loudly "Why does anyone need a gun in Walmart!!!". It took me by surprise and I had to look around to see if she was talking to me or about me. I laughed it off to elderly people speaking their mind and actually was happy that granny was so bold. Funny thing though, about six months later there was a stabbing and hostage situation in that same Walmart about 100 feet from where she was standing. The Walmart was evacuated and the Sheriff had to come in and negotiate with the person holding the hostages. So I guess there is a good reason to have a gun in a Walmart after all. :)

hazard274

Dirty looks while Open Carrying

So I went to go get a loto ticket at the liquor store and the Iraq man named Ray was all stoked that I was Open Carrying. We talked about guns and shooting for about 10 minutes and then some teens came in. One looked at me and her eyes got big and went out side. As soon as I got in the car she went in the store. Why are people so scared of guns?

protect our rights

So I went to go get a loto ticket at the liquor store and the Iraq man named Ray was all stoked that I was Open Carrying. We talked about guns and shooting for about 10 minutes and then some teens came in. One looked at me and her eyes got big and went out side. As soon as I got in the car she went in the store. Why are people so scared of guns?

A lot of people are "scared of firearms simply because they dont understand them. As some people say, "They think they ill just jump outta the holster and start shooting"

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have had a couple people give me the "Stink Eye".

I've only gotten that once, but it was around midnight, by a guy in the parking lot. He was apparently dealing drugs.

An elderly lady (80+) must have seen my gun and broadcast to everyone loudly "Why does anyone need a gun in Walmart!!!".

I'm brazen enough I'd probably respond with a loud, "Bad guys! What else? Wal-Mart occasionally get's 'em, too!"

Funny thing though, about six months later there was a stabbing and hostage situation in that same Walmart about 100 feet from where she was standing. The Walmart was evacuated and the Sheriff had to come in and negotiate with the person holding the hostages. So I guess there is a good reason to have a gun in a Walmart after all. :)

I carry a newspaper clipping of the murder which occurred in the Wal-Mart parking lot here in town last year. On two occasions I've pulled it out during a discussion about OC. It doesn't take long before they hand it back, subdued. I usually add something like, "As much as I wish it weren't true, there are bad people in this world. It would be irresponsible of us if we didn't protect ourselves and our families against them."

randian

I was walking downtown carrying my Ruger SR40 like usual, and some punk basically said "Ohhh she's got a gun watch out" and several other dirty and random looks that night. WTF?! Its downtown Olympia.
I shudder to think what kind of looks you'd get carrying in Seattle.