• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do I get dirty looks/comments when I open carry?

RugerBabe86

I was walking downtown carrying my Ruger SR40 like usual, and some punk basically said "Ohhh she's got a gun watch out" and several other dirty and random looks that night. WTF?! Its downtown Olympia... Why are people so freakin rude?

sudden valley gunner

RugerBabe welcome to the forum. I find it rare but do get the isolated, uninformed ignorant comments every once in awhile. Just part of the deal, many other folks have endured much worse in fighting for civil rights. ( not necessarily just gun rights)

Hold your head high and know you are doing what is right and you are not a "victim" and you are not a sheep.

I live in Olympia's hippy twin Bellingham. Hope to see ya at the 2A rally.

protect our rights

I was walking downtown carrying my Ruger SR40 like usual, and some punk basically said "Ohhh she's got a gun watch out" and several other dirty and random looks that night. WTF?! Its downtown Olympia... Why are people so freakin rude?

Times like these I just smile and keep walking or pay them no attention, because it is obvious they are trying to get a reaction out of you. When I am OCing I always try to set a good example.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to OCDO.

Consider the source of the remarks you received. It is most likely that you irritated the folks by denying them a victim (of either intimidation or actual crime) or made them realize that they were actually less powerful although physically larger.

This http://www.vcdl.org/new/raging.htm is an oldie but still accurately describes why a lot of folks get all bent out of shape about seeing - or even hearing about - someone who has undertaken self-responsibility. It might help you understand what you ran up against the other night.

stay safe.

Kirbinator

Some antis are like that. It's really nonsensical because they are shirking from their own duty under the Constitution to protect themselves. The best thing you can do is simply carry yourself well and cautiously ignore them. I say cautiously because .01% of people who react that way will attempt a gun grab or to touch your weapon.

I got hateful looks when I first OC'd at Whole Foods. Now I just don't even notice if anyone is looking.

OldCurlyWolf

Some antis are like that. It's really nonsensical because they are shirking from their own duty under the Constitution to protect themselves. The best thing you can do is simply carry yourself well and cautiously ignore them. I say cautiously because .01% of people who react that way will attempt a gun grab or to touch your weapon.

I got hateful looks when I first OC'd at Whole Foods. Now I just don't even notice if anyone is looking.

RugerBabe,

If someone acts like Kirbinator is warning about, a knife hand or a spear hand or a nukite to the adam's apple will stop them cold. Having some CN or CS gas to squirt in their face would be nice too.

sharkey

Were you carrying it in your hand or holster? How were you looking at them? I've never had anybody question me for open carrying. Of course I've only done it in AZ, ID and UT.

I have had people ask my son if I'm LE.

I may finally have the answer. I've been thinking this backwards the whole time. I thought people only get questioned for OC if they don't carry themselves well but I was wrong. I look like a jerk so no one dares question me. You must look like a very nice person who would never use your gun.

KBCraig

Some antis are like that.
And many of our supposed RKBA fellow travelers are like that, too.

I'm sure that on a certain Alabama bus in 1955, there were some folks muttering, "Rosa, get back here with the rest of us, you're going to mess things up for everybody!"

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

Interesting thing happened to me the other day while walking into Walmart. While heading inside I happened to be walking behind three young black men. Nothing remarkable about them to be honest, they didn't look like gang members or anything of the criminal sort, but one of them looked back and saw me about 10 feet behind them. Then turns to the others and says "Cops on our tale."

Things got a little congested at the entrance. so I was gaining on them as we slowed for pedestrian traffic in the door way, they stopped to get a cart and I passed them by. The one who warned his friends that I was tailing them stopped me as I passed and asked, "hey, are you a cop?" I stopped and said "no, I'm just an every day guy like you." Then he asks me as we began walking inside, "Isn't it illegal to carry a gun like that?" My reply went something like, "Not in Nevada, you should stay a while, you'll like it here."

Now this wasn't a negative encounter from my perspective, but I think they were a little taken back by the whole thing. Now, to be honest, I can't imagine what it's like to be black, but now I imagine it involves a lot of looking behind you to see who is there. They did it because they live in a world where you never know when the next cop is going to give them the third degree under some pretense, we do it because we never know when the next cop is going to want to make an example of someone exercising their rights, or to so if someone might be targeting us.

Why did I go into all of this? Because someone else's reaction to me carrying my firearm gave me insight into not only myself but a part of society that I now have some way to relate to, if only in the slightest. So, next time you have one of the interactions, look at things through their eyes. Try to put yourself in their shoes and perhaps you may just learn something you never knew you didn't know.

By the way, These three young men asked me later, while I was in line for ammo at the SG counter where the could go to learn how to shoot, and I refereed them to the county shooting park were they rent a few rifles. Hopefully we can fold them into our ranks.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

I presume from your name that you're Female.

Most people abhor the idea of a Female that can take care of herself. I'd venture a guess that this is why. You're supposed to be helpless and need a man to do everything for you, including protect your from other men with similar ideas in their heads.

If you're not a Female, then dunno. I get looks, but I'm also hard to miss and so is my gun. I don't go unnoticed. The helpless hate seeing someone who chooses not to be just as helpless as they are. I think that applies to everyone, not just females. Useful, sane females are just treated with more contempt because they're not supposed to be useful and sane.

IT's the Flattery/Imitation concept most of the time. Applies to almost every aspect of American Society. You're not imitating them, therefore, not flattering them. This offends the average, for you now stand out, and might suggest by example that average isn't good enough for you. How dare you!

Dumb and Hateful. It's not about OC, that's just the excuse you gave them to show what they are made of. Consider it a sign, like Bill Engvall says. They're showing you their sign "I'm a dumbass, look at my expression of contempt for a total stranger as proof."

eye95

Maybe I am just not looking for them, but I don't see dirty looks. But, since I am noticing a small smattering of surprised looks, but mostly no looks, I must be looking.

Could it be that we find what we are looking for?

MKEgal

Ignore the bozos making stupid/rude comments.
Works as well in real life as on the internet.
Kind of like being fat - gun owners are still an OK target of jokes & spite.
(Though being fat & carrying might offset each other.) :rolleyes:

They're free to voice their opinion as long as they don't do something illegal (like trying to interfere with your freedom of movement, or trying to steal your gun, or creating a disturbance, or filing a false police report).

I've gotten a few curious looks, mostly by kids who are at the right height to have my holster @ eye level. (They always get a big smile & a friendly "hello".) Never been approached in a hostile way by anyone other than police. Have had a few conversations (often in the aisle at a grocery store) about open carry.

For some reason, men (esp. men in their 60s+) seem to think I'm kind of a cute aberration. (Well, those in the local OC community know better.) Think what they want, but why aren't they able to protect themselves?
(Come to think of it, other motorcyclists sometimes have seemed surprised that under the helmet & so forth are lady bits. Why shouldn't women do things that are fun?)

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Oly

I live in Lacey too, and have not had one negative comment (yet). I even took my kids to the Climbing warehouse in Olympia to go climbing the other day with no comments. Although it was the first time putting on my climbing harness over my gun and holster which seemed a little weird. Don't forget coffee at the Starbucks in Lakewood. (See WA thread)

bikemutt

Just a thought. Most folks who have no direct involvement with guns get their preconceived notions about the same from the media, particularly entertainment media, AKA television. For the most part TV would lead one to believe there are two groups that carry guns; good guys (LE) and bad guys.

So, if you are carrying and you're not LE, well, the rest is left as exercise for the reader.

When confronted with a third choice in a binary world, the result is confusion, which in turn triggers efforts at humor, smartassness, WTFness and all sorts of other odd reactions.

I predict OC will never see Hollywood on their side, the only way to change stereotypes without their "help" is to refuse to sit in the back of the bus, which seems to me to be underway.

It will take time is all.

M

McX

because ignorance has no couth, nor manners. screw them, and go on; nothing to see here, move along, and please shut your yapper (to them).

Fallschirjmäger

image3.jpg
image4.jpg
image5.jpg
image6.jpg

Some people just seem to resent it when you aren't as defenseless as they are.

SFCRetired

//snip//Some people just seem to resent it when you aren't as defenseless as they are.

Fallshirmjager hit the nail right square on the head with that one sentence. The only thing I would consider changing would be from "Some" to "Many".

Consider this: Which child in school is the one usually bullied? The one who fits in with everyone else and "goes along to get along"? Or the one who stands out as different from everyone else.

sultan62

RugerBabe - if you think the looks and questions you get are bad, imagine what it will be like when (and IF) Illinois ever gets some kind of carry! These people will be so uptight that they won't be able to control themselves and will be screaming for their "mamas" (the cops) at the drop of a hat! What will make it worse is that most of these cops won't know about the change in the law (or care!) and there will be a lot of false arrests!

In Illinois, you'll be lucky if all you get is arrested.

protect our rights

RugerBabe - if you think the looks and questions you get are bad, imagine what it will be like when (and IF) Illinois ever gets some kind of carry! These people will be so uptight that they won't be able to control themselves and will be screaming for their "mamas" (the cops) at the drop of a hat! What will make it worse is that most of these cops won't know about the change in the law (or care!) and there will be a lot of false arrests!

I disagree with the LEO not knowing the law WHEN it changes. It will be BIG news. If one of thses Officers doesn't know about it he'll have to be under a rock. Now do I think that will stop them from giving everyone a hard time about it, Hardly! Ill will be a state where there will have to be many people working together having OC events to get the word out.

EDIT: They will have to have these events to show the other great people of Ill that there more than two types of people with guns.

Last edited: