• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The FIRST REAL GUN GRAB???

skiingislife725

Ahh it was bound to happen some time. I didn't read a whole lot of posts on the link but it sounds like the gun FELL OUT of the holster???

Anyhow, like always, situational awareness is definitely key. But no one can be 100% all the time, and sometimes sh#% just happens. Open carry isn't perfect.

1245A Defender

Wow!!!

Ahh it was bound to happen some time. I didn't read a whole lot of posts on the link but it sounds like the gun FELL OUT of the holster???

Anyhow, like always, situational awareness is definitely key. But no one can be 100% all the time, and sometimes sh#% just happens. Open carry isn't perfect.

IT WAS A GUN GRAB attempt!!! why would anyone be surprised, the gun came out???

you dont have time to read 17 posts about the VERY first documented GUN grab EVER!!!

im really surprised their arent 117! posts!!!

Last edited:

skiingislife725

There isn't much to be said about the whole incident, that's why there aren't that many posts on the other thread. Crazy man walks in and says he's a DEA agent and is going to arrest Garcia, Garcia lets him get too close, fight ensues, gun falls out of its holster, customer gets the gun and brings it to the manager's office.

What to learn? Situational awareness, recognizing when to start using force, having a backup weapon (weak-side fixed blade, spring-assist, wave blade or a BUG), and having the training on weapons retention. But this is all stuff that have been discussed before...this incident didn't just suddenly make us all realize it.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Why is there not more post then you would have expected on this topic? Likely this is not the first nor the last gun grab (not the Katrina Type) per say.

This happens more often then we know I believe it is just not reported, although we have heard that a criminal either has or attempted to take an officers weapon ie Gun Grab.

As stated before what does one really need to learn from this, retention holster, situational awareness, seating position, recognizing a threat and responding.

Someone going after you gun! is that not a threat to your life?

xxx.jakk.xxx

I can't imagine gun grabs are too rare since a lot of cons practice gun grabbing in prison. It's just one of those neat skills they teach you when you're being "rehabilitated". We all just need to make sure to be aware and know how to stop a person grabbing your gun.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Cite? Something that isn't on HBO?

Really, I have to cite this... Well, it's in no laws and I've never been to prison, so I guess it never happens. I'm sorry to make such an assumption and I hope you will forgive me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I can't imagine gun grabs are too rare since a lot of cons practice gun grabbing in prison. It's just one of those neat skills they teach you when you're being "rehabilitated". We all just need to make sure to be aware and know how to stop a person grabbing your gun.

What!? Where did you hear such a thing? I was employed in the "system" for a number of years and never saw any such - also it is not like they have the tools with which to train..... and the practice of martial arts is not allowed by most such departments for the "guests."

xxx.jakk.xxx

Ok guys, I'm very sorry. I have been misinformed at some point in time and I am very sorry for thinking it to be true. Apparently cons never do training that guards don't see on techniques to take the guard's weapons or hurt the guards. Thank you for correcting me. =]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ok guys, I'm very sorry. I have been misinformed at some point in time and I am very sorry for thinking it to be true. Apparently cons never do training that guards don't see on techniques to take the guard's weapons or hurt the guards. Thank you for correcting me. =]

Easy there, calm down.

First you go from "since a lot of cons practice gun grabbing in prison" to now saying "never". You sort of destroy your own validity with such sarcasm and extreme unsubstantiated opinions.

Your original contention was not general, but specific to a lot of inmates practicing gun grabs in prison. A few, occasionally, maybe. A lot, large numbers, frequently - nope!
Those in "country club" environments don't want to loose their privileges. Those in hard lock units have not the unobserved physical opportunity.

Please demonstrate to me that what you have heard/imagined is more accurate than what I have lived. Could it be that that you know someone who as been a resident guest of the state - now there is a reliable source of truth, oh yah right. :lol:

amlevin

Really, I have to cite this... Well, it's in no laws and I've never been to prison, so I guess it never happens. I'm sorry to make such an assumption and I hope you will forgive me.

Forgive? Always! But first some ribbing. A little more research might be in order before you make a statement that ends up giving you this condition

Foot+In+Mouth.jpg