• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fox 12 News - Idaho to preempt colleges on gun carry rules

Mike

Site Co-Founder
It's already legal to open cand conceal carry on Idaho's college campuses, as it is in most states: http://www.opencarry.org/college.html

But now the legislature is moving forward to preempt colleges from interfering in concealed or open carry.

See also http://www.fox12idaho.com/Global/story.asp?S=14185449

SNIP

BOISE, ID -- Idahoans could soon be packing heat on campus.

Here in Boise, the idea is gaining support from some state lawmakers.

On Thursday, Republicans from Idaho's statehouse introduced a bill that would secure campus gun rights for Idahoans who obtain concealed weapon permits.

The bill's language also states that Idaho's famous "open carry" policy would apply on campus as well.

. . .

PeaceWalker

I can't WAIT to open carry on campus!!! I'd be educating students all day at school.
Considering the location and the type of people on campus, I'd much rather avoid the problems that will come with open carrying, so I'll be carrying concealed if this bill passes, like I always do.

clarkebar

And what type of problems are those?

He's talking about the other students with loud mouths and small brains as well as the professors who think they know everything because of thier PHDs.

By the way, PeaceWalker, which college do you attend? I'm studying Political Science at The College of Western Idaho, at the Nampa campus, currently.

Last edited:

ColeMD17

It passed the House and it's going to the Senate now! I have a good feeling about this one, guys!

caduckhunter

Has anyone ever actually been "trespassed" from a university?

There seems to be quite an uproar from the normal crowd over this bill especially on the comment section of the Statesman. I am sure that is to be expected.

What I can't figure out is why more people are talking about the fact that it isn't currently against the law in Idaho to carry a firearm on a college campus. It is only against the conduct codes of the college/universities. If you look at BSU's policy for example. http://www.boisestate.edu/policy/po...ponsonUniversityOwnedorControlledPremises.pdf

I would like to know if there are any cases that anyone knows of where someone has actually been arrested for trespassing for having a firearm on a college campus in Idaho.

I kind of think it is important for those out there looking at this new bill that it isn't a criminal act right now. Maybe even an open-carry event at a campus. Surely it wouldn't last for long when were ask to leave but it would prove the point.

clarkebar

Well, with the legislation already in the works I think I'll wait, I don't want to be expelled from school.

ColeMD17

what people don't understand is that this doesn't mean that almost all college students will now have guns at school... this just allows those who carry weapons every day in public, to carry on campus as well. you know, those people that we all encounter EVERY DAY when we go out in public in Idaho (whom we encounter with nearly zero violent incidents) ...all this does is put college campuses on the same playing field as the rest of the state.

It says on the idaho statesman that colleges are concerned, above all, that this will take away their ability to host certain athletic games and concerts because those organizations "don't allow weapons into their venues."

Wow... missing the point much?

Anyway, a venue traveling from somewhere to play their thing in Idaho (say the NCAA, it was mentioned in the article) would still have the right to prohibit weapons, they are not part of the college, they are not from this state, and it's a private organization so they could just say "we don't want guns coming into this game." and set up security at the gates. you know, pat downs, metal detecting wands, like at most rock concerts. ta da, problem solved, colleges.

that being said... and I'm probably gonna take some flak for this... but if they implemented that, secured the perimiter and searched everyone to make sure it really WAS a gun-free zone, I would not have a problem with checking my weapon at the door, or leaving it in my car to go into that game. That's just me. what do you guys think?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
that being said... and I'm probably gonna take some flak for this... but if they implemented that, secured the perimiter and searched everyone to make sure it really WAS a gun-free zone, I would not have a problem with checking my weapon at the door, or leaving it in my car to go into that game. That's just me. what do you guys think?

Not willing to transfer the ability to defend myself and loved ones to a third party - even the police are not required to come to our defense.

Are they also going to check for knives, explosives, anything that might be used as a weapon or do we each get our own private security?

ColeMD17

Not willing to transfer the ability to defend myself and loved ones to a third party - even the police are not required to come to our defense.

Are they also going to check for knives, explosives, anything that might be used as a weapon or do we each get our own private security?

well, the metal detecting wand would keep knives from getting through. in the realm of "anything else that might be used as a weapon," sounds like we're getting into the realm of improvised weapons, which I can just as easily get access to after I'm inside. of course I'd rather not be disarmed at all, but if I want to get into the game and they're checking everyone for weapons at the door, I'll have to leave mine in the car and be ready to brawl it out if push comes to shove in there. anyway, I'm just saying the reason the colleges are giving, (that they would no longer be able to host games) is bogus.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
well, the metal detecting wand would keep knives from getting through. in the realm of "anything else that might be used as a weapon," sounds like we're getting into the realm of improvised weapons, which I can just as easily get access to after I'm inside. of course I'd rather not be disarmed at all, but if I want to get into the game and they're checking everyone for weapons at the door, I'll have to leave mine in the car and be ready to brawl it out if push comes to shove in there. anyway, I'm just saying the reason the colleges are giving, (that they would no longer be able to host games) is bogus.

Capish.

DCR

The bill is dying

Our esteemed senators, in collusion with the governor, are killing the bill.

Can't trust Republicans anymore, either, I guess.

It appears that this one's going to be settled in court through the lawsuit filed by the law student in Moscow.

My opinion is that the governor got flak from the business lobby, IACI, who pushed the myth that concerts and sporting events would get canceled if the bill passed - rich business interests who are willing to trade their rights for the almighty dollar, and the Republican party folks, all of whom are in IACI's pocket, didn't want to lose campaign and other donations and perks they enjoy, so they're going to take the easy route out by letting it die in the Senate. That way, they can tell their IACI contributors they did their bidding, and if the lawsuit is successful, well, they tried to help out their business friends but the law is the law....

Remember this at election time and vote against any Representative and Senator who voted against the bill or who didn't argue loudly to bring it to the Senate floor, regardless who their opponent is. That'll teach them.

And don't vote for Otter again, or anyone he endorses (Lieutenant Gov. Brad Little also opposes the bill) under any circumstances, unless you want to keep banging your head against the party who only listens to the business community.

DCR

Me, too, ecocks, me too. We all need to be vigilant and remember these things.

Oh, and just in case I gave the impression, I am not a Democrat; I'm a registered Republican who's becoming thoroughly disillusioned with some of our party's legislators. I don't cross party lines in the final elections unless my party's candidate is a screaming idiot, and then only if the other party's candidate has a demonstrably good 2A position. It's only happened three times (once federal, twice at the state level), and Obama was definitely NOT one of them!

Best wishes to the young law student in his lawsuit! We'll have to find a way to track it and report. I'll see what I can find to share.

Last edited:

ColeMD17

DAMN!!

Just today I wrote out a very exhaustive letter to the governor and I'm collecting signatures urging him to sign the bill should it get out of the Senate.

I also emailed my district Senator making several arguments why he should favor the bill.

*sigh* "of the people, by the people, for the people" is dead, I guess. :(

jimd_21

HB0222 died in the Senate State Affairs Committee this morning.

Apparently it is being held for amendments....so still alive for now.

Last edited: