Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-year-old accidentally shoots, injures himself

8-year-old accidentally shoots, injures himself

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/117395978.html

Must be the guns fault for going off and not the child's neglect for not clearing it before hand, or the parents for teaching the child proper gun safety.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Almost always the parents fault.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    the parents for teaching the child proper gun safety.
    This more than likely.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Agreed it's up to the parents to educate our children on safe firearm handling.

Watch the anti's jump on this one.

JJC

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    my 7 year old daughter knows not to touch a firearm or firearm related items but i started teaching her gun saftey at about the age of 5 like i was
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 03-04-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Vandil View Post
    Almost always the parents fault.
    Well there is that silly little law that says ALL FIREARMS MUST BE SECURED if a Child is in the home.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

I have an autistic nephew that I help take care of. By the time he was 8 he knew never to touch a gun. I agree that it's the parents responsibility. And if whoever let that child touch a gun in a way that allowed him to shoot himself, I say hang them high and let them be an example to those that would fail to make sure their children are 1000% safe at all times!
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

McX
    my 13 year old, the youngest in the house, goes to the range with me, has his own rifle, and cleans all our guns when we get back from shooting at the range, he can also handle my .45 better than me. start them young, start them right.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    Well there is that silly little law that says ALL FIREARMS MUST BE SECURED if a Child is in the home.

I must have not be able to see that over my giant pile of free action locks the police hand out to parents!

I have a 2yr old in the house who is not old enough to listen or understand "why" it's my responsibility to protect him both from outside danger and himself. Guns go in the safe or the vault.

Trigger locks are a joke that give a false sense of security
    "something" is being done under the guise of "child safety".

They dont work.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    my 13 year old, the youngest in the house, goes to the range with me, has his own rifle, and cleans all our guns when we get back from shooting at the range, he can also handle my .45 better than me. start them young, start them right.
    Cool may be a Gun Cleaning service at the Garage !
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    I've never heard or read that law - care to cite?

Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    I've never heard or read that law - care to cite?
    Look at page 6 of the PDF.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lrb/pubs/wb/00wb11.pdf
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro01 View Post
    Ahh - it's like a legal "extra" to charge parents with if their kid goes on a rampage or they hurt themselves. The way the post was worded I thought WI had a law that demanded weapons to be secured anytime children are around.

How do we know is was an accident?

Just saying.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

The way the post was worded I thought WI had a law that demanded weapons to be secured anytime children are around.
    Actually...IIRC,that is the case.

About 6 yrs ago I bought my 1911.
    In the gun case was a bright orange piece of paper with statute and
    State ordinance listings.

If not mistaken I think it comes with every new handgun sold now.

IIRC....handguns (or guns) are supposed to be secured if children under XX years old
    are in the house hold.
    Which also IIRC many handguns are sold with some type of trigger or action lock included.

Now,when I bought my Springfield 1911 A-1 installed by the factory was a trigger/action lock with a 2 pronged key supplied.
    When the Mrs bought her Browning BDA .380 a cable lock was supplied.

From what I can remember of the information on the Orange slip of paper.
    Its basically a un-enforceable law.
    The only way a person were to be or could charged with the Statutes listed on there would be after the fact (of an AD) or if a LEO were in your home and seen the firearm out in the open and children present.

I havent bought any handguns lately...or any new guns lately
    and the first thing I did was toss that crap out.

I can do some checking....give me a day or two and I will get back.

How do we know is was an accident?
    Just saying.
    North Side population control....coat hangers are gettin expensive.
    But then again...so are rubbers.

LR Yote
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 03-05-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

[blush]

I just meant maybe the kid was trying to give himself a tattoo or something! Show off how tough he was.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Lock up weapons

All weapons should be locked and made extremely difficult for anyone other than the owners to access. If someone breaks in your residence do not make weapons easily accessible. I grew up with guns and like all of you, safety was pounded into my head, time and time again. I did the same to my son as he grew up. He wanted a BB Gun, I said know, he was 8 years old at the time. I said to him, help me with the fire wood a few weekends and I will buy you a real gun, 6 Mil Rifle, we can go to the range and shoot on weekends anytime you would like. That went over very well.
    I trusted him with any weapon at any given time. I still locked all weapons. Like I said I trusted him, just not any of his friends, and/or his friends, friends. The laws have changed so much, that there is not such a thing as an accident any more, someone is most always held responsible, even when not.
    Yes, at this time my gun is on my dresser from the night before. Granddaughters coming over, they would not touch a gun, being taught very well. I am going to lock it up right now.
    I will get off my soap box.
    The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
    The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose!

Exclamation Common Senses

The LAW in my home is:

All of my firearms are in a locked gun safe or strapped to my body. The only exception is when I remove one or more of them and transport them in their case (without ammunition) to a location where I am teaching a firearms class and they are used in the classroom with dummy ammunition as teaching aids. No live ammunition is ever allowed in the classroom. Range work is done under the supervision of an NRA Certified Range Safety Officer. When I retire to bed, my personal protection handgun is on the nightstand next to my head.

While I have no children living in my home, I have friends who do and they visit. Keeping all firearms not strapped to my body locked in the safe guarantees no negligent discharge by the children and makes it really difficult for thieves to make off with my firearms as well. Ammunition is stored in locked ammunition boxes.

State or Federal Law notwithstanding, this is the LAW in my home.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Sh1t, I leave all my guns locked and loaded around my house. When children come over it paint them bright colors and leave them buried in the toy box.

Too bad people aren't required to take a parenting class before they have sex.
    Included in that class would be concepts like "it's your responsibility to keep the kid safe".
    In order for them to be safe, you have to teach kids about dangers & how to avoid them.
    (Ask me how many miserable summers I spent before learning what poison ivy looks like.
    PS - not my parent's fault... they tried to show me, I just didn't pick up on it.)

Teach a kid to cook? Hot stoves & sharp knives & boiling water.
    Have a gun around? The 4 rules & never leave a gun & a child unattended together. Belt & suspenders.
    Learning to drive? Seatbelt, mirrors, brakes, traffic signals & laws.
    Old enough to have sex? Disease & pregnancy prevention. And rape. The best protection is the gun you can carry. (By the time s/he's old enough for this discussion, you've had years to instill your morals, if they include "no premarital sex". For now, discuss the realities.)
    Last edited by MKEgal; 03-09-2011 at 01:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Sh1t, I leave all my guns locked and loaded around my house. When children come over it paint them bright colors and leave them buried in the toy box.
    Didn't some news show do something like that some years ago? I mean minus the nifty neon painjobs and the live ammo? Lol
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    Didn't some news show do something like that some years ago? I mean minus the nifty neon painjobs and the live ammo? Lol
    I was at the Ikes club a few weeks ago while they were teaching hunters safety classes for adults. They had a bunch of rifles & shotguns that had blaze orange furniture. Didn't ask if they were non-firing but my initial thought was "don't let the government see this because that'll be the next law meant to save ourselves from ourselves."

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    start them young, start them right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjygzt0fWHs

+1

Quote Originally Posted by tomm1963 View Post
    "But, but, children can't possibly learn how to be responsible at such a young age!"

or

"That is so incredibly dangerous for anyone, let alone a child!"

/liberal mindset
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast