• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

8-year-old accidentally shoots, injures himself

oliverclotheshoff

my 7 year old daughter knows not to touch a firearm or firearm related items but i started teaching her gun saftey at about the age of 5 like i was

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

I have an autistic nephew that I help take care of. By the time he was 8 he knew never to touch a gun. I agree that it's the parents responsibility. And if whoever let that child touch a gun in a way that allowed him to shoot himself, I say hang them high and let them be an example to those that would fail to make sure their children are 1000% safe at all times!

M

McX

my 13 year old, the youngest in the house, goes to the range with me, has his own rifle, and cleans all our guns when we get back from shooting at the range, he can also handle my .45 better than me. start them young, start them right.

Vandil

Well there is that silly little law that says ALL FIREARMS MUST BE SECURED if a Child is in the home.

I must have not be able to see that over my giant pile of free action locks the police hand out to parents! :banana:

I have a 2yr old in the house who is not old enough to listen or understand "why" it's my responsibility to protect him both from outside danger and himself. Guns go in the safe or the vault.

LR Yote 312

Trigger locks are a joke that give a false sense of security
"something" is being done under the guise of "child safety".

They dont work.

LR Yote

littlewolf

my 13 year old, the youngest in the house, goes to the range with me, has his own rifle, and cleans all our guns when we get back from shooting at the range, he can also handle my .45 better than me. start them young, start them right.

Cool may be a Gun Cleaning service at the Garage !

LR Yote 312

The way the post was worded I thought WI had a law that demanded weapons to be secured anytime children are around.

Actually...IIRC,that is the case.

About 6 yrs ago I bought my 1911.
In the gun case was a bright orange piece of paper with statute and
State ordinance listings.

If not mistaken I think it comes with every new handgun sold now.

IIRC....handguns (or guns) are supposed to be secured if children under XX years old
are in the house hold.
Which also IIRC many handguns are sold with some type of trigger or action lock included.

Now,when I bought my Springfield 1911 A-1 installed by the factory was a trigger/action lock with a 2 pronged key supplied.
When the Mrs bought her Browning BDA .380 a cable lock was supplied.

From what I can remember of the information on the Orange slip of paper.
Its basically a un-enforceable law.
The only way a person were to be or could charged with the Statutes listed on there would be after the fact (of an AD) or if a LEO were in your home and seen the firearm out in the open and children present.

I havent bought any handguns lately...or any new guns lately
and the first thing I did was toss that crap out.

I can do some checking....give me a day or two and I will get back.

How do we know is was an accident?
Just saying.

North Side population control....coat hangers are gettin expensive.
But then again...so are rubbers.

LR Yote

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

[blush]

I just meant maybe the kid was trying to give himself a tattoo or something! Show off how tough he was.

:D

theoicarry

Lock up weapons

All weapons should be locked and made extremely difficult for anyone other than the owners to access. If someone breaks in your residence do not make weapons easily accessible. I grew up with guns and like all of you, safety was pounded into my head, time and time again. I did the same to my son as he grew up. He wanted a BB Gun, I said know, he was 8 years old at the time. I said to him, help me with the fire wood a few weekends and I will buy you a real gun, 6 Mil Rifle, we can go to the range and shoot on weekends anytime you would like. That went over very well.
I trusted him with any weapon at any given time. I still locked all weapons. Like I said I trusted him, just not any of his friends, and/or his friends, friends. The laws have changed so much, that there is not such a thing as an accident any more, someone is most always held responsible, even when not.
Yes, at this time my gun is on my dresser from the night before. Granddaughters coming over, they would not touch a gun, being taught very well. I am going to lock it up right now.
I will get off my soap box.

jpm84092

Common Senses

The LAW in my home is:

All of my firearms are in a locked gun safe or strapped to my body. The only exception is when I remove one or more of them and transport them in their case (without ammunition) to a location where I am teaching a firearms class and they are used in the classroom with dummy ammunition as teaching aids. No live ammunition is ever allowed in the classroom. Range work is done under the supervision of an NRA Certified Range Safety Officer. When I retire to bed, my personal protection handgun is on the nightstand next to my head.

While I have no children living in my home, I have friends who do and they visit. Keeping all firearms not strapped to my body locked in the safe guarantees no negligent discharge by the children and makes it really difficult for thieves to make off with my firearms as well. Ammunition is stored in locked ammunition boxes.

State or Federal Law notwithstanding, this is the LAW in my home.

anmut

Sh1t, I leave all my guns locked and loaded around my house. When children come over it paint them bright colors and leave them buried in the toy box.