• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HELP, Anyone been through this?

Stat

I will make this short; my live in girlfriend has a felony. All my guns are in a safe or at times on my hip. She is reconnecting with her child and a court ordered guardian at Litem wants to check out my house.

Never thought I would be posting this.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

I haven't been through it, but my understanding is that as long as she has 'no ability' to access the firearms then she should be ok.

That means no keeping a gun in the nightstand.

But with a kid & custody involved, ya never know.

Last edited:

DEROS72

I agree with Nick,time to get a new girlfriend.I also agree with the other posters on this.Could be a real problem.These investigators have never been known for a pro2A stance.At the very least don't live together ,you seriously put your rights in jepordy.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I knew that was coming

Ask yourself a basic question.

Are your fundamental rights worth this one person, your current girlfriend?

I can not answer that question with a yes, and can not imagine how another would answer in the affirmative either. While it may be a difficult decission, the decission is the correct one and I would suspect that you know that is the correct answer as well.

(Would you also give up your right to free speach? Would you give up your right to be free against unreasonable searches?)

Last edited:

Stat

Ask yourself a basic question.

Are your fundamental rights worth this one person, your current girlfriend?

I can not answer that question with a yes, and can not imagine how another would answer in the affirmative either. While it may be a difficult decission, the decission is the correct one and I would suspect that you know that is the correct answer as well.

(Would you also give up your right to free speach? Would you give up your right to be free against unreasonable searches?)

Without answering the question, say I go through with this and this person comes into MY house to inspect. Before that point I have removed all the guns from my residence but what is left is evidence of a lifestyle with guns i.e. gun safes, pictures with guns, pictures with dead animals, animal mounts, reloading room, on and on.
I’m not liking this!

Last edited:

carracer

I just went thru this possession thing as jury in a local trial.

this is a link to the legal definition of "Possession".

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/p057.htm

IMHO, I believe that if all firearms are located within the safe, she does not know the combination or have access to it or a key and expressly knows she is forbidden,by you as well as law, there is no intent so possession would not be a factor. Legally. However you cannot control anothers first impressions or bias. At least that's how I would have voted. I am not a lawyer, however.

Last edited:

amlevin

I just went thru this possession thing as jury in a local trial.

this is a link to the legal definition of "Possession".

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/p057.htm

IMHO, I believe that if all firearms are located within the safe, she does not know the combination or have access to it or a key and expressly knows she is forbidden,by you as well as law, there is no intent so possession would not be a factor. Legally. However you cannot control anothers first impressions or bias. At least that's how I would have voted. I am not a lawyer, however.

This phrase could be an issue

A person who is not in actual possession, but who has both the power and the intention to later take control over something either alone or together with someone else, is in constructive possession of it.

Women have, since the beginning, convincing men to do things they know they shouldn't be doing.

This is a minefield that you will be negotiating as long as this woman is in your house. It isn't totally what WE think here that matters, it's what the people from DSHS think and some of them are ill equipped for the task. In the end it will end up a choice between her and risking your right to own firearms. Unless she gets HER rights restored YOUR's will always be at risk.

Old saying. "God gave man a brain and a penis but only enough blood to run one or the other. Not enough to run both at the same time?"

Trigger Dr

The House is yours, all the firearms are in a locked safe that can only be opened by YOU, You do not have to open the safe for the "investigator" absence a warrant.
The impression the "investigator" would get from reloading room, animal mounts,etc. cannot create a problem for you. However, the girlfriend is the one who will be impacted by the acts of the investigator.
Suggested solutions:
1.Get new girl friend
2.Have girl friend relocate
3.Get new girl friend
4.Sell all guns
5.Get new girl friend.
Some of these suggestions have more merit than others.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Seems clear you are not wanting to drop the girlfriend which by all means is your choice, so what is left?
Secure your firearms and conceal during a visit, if the chips do not fall in place for her, it is not your fault but a price people play for committing crimes or losing custody of their children.

All in all, she lost her rights on possession, you did not.
And I agree with those who spoke of, it may not matter what the law is but the impression it leaves with the guardian at Litem.
Granted if a negative view is taken by them, it is not right but do you really want to fight that battle.

Something to consider?
length of time knowing her?
length of time in this relationship?
was this a major point of topic when the relationship began?

People or in this case, women have been known to have alternative motives to accomplish such tasked.

Good Luck

Dave_pro2a

FYI;

I asked someone who works 'in the industry' of child welfare stuff.

Her automatic response was "no way, she won't get her kids back in that scenario. And if she's deceptive about anything, things will be way worse in the long term."

Take it with a grain of salt. Maybe talk to an attorney who specializes in child custody/child welfare type issues.

HK_dave

However you cannot control anothers first impressions or bias.

and they WILL be biased. a friend went thru this.

remember - court appointed guardian of the child. that is who they represent.

these people are not your friends. they are looking to f*ck you over any way they can.

OMG guns! think of the children! :cry:

Tawnos

If you insist on keeping the girlfriend, she better get started on trying to get her rights restored.

Haz.

Amliven wrote;

"Women have, since the beginning, convincing men to do things they know they shouldn't be doing."

I agree. If you love her she would get the key or combination out of you eventually!

"And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength lieth, and wherewith thou mightest be bound to afflict thee." (Judges 16:6).

"And it came to pass, when she pressed him daily with her words, and urged him, so that his soul was vexed unto death;" (Judges 16:16).

"That he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a razor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man." (Judges 16:17).

"But the Philistines took him, and put out his eyes, and brought him down to Gaza, and bound him with fetters of brass; and he did grind in the prison house." (Judges 16:21).

Get yourself another girlfriend mate! Haz.