• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Topic but need help

Can anyone help me find anything that would support an argument to stop municipalities from giving/donating tax dollars to private orginazations. Whether it be laws, court cases decisions or something that may help. Our city is giving away large ammounts of cash to "private orginazations". It was only $40 last month, but the month before they gave away $500. In a town of only 900 that's unacceptable.

p.publius

Town Charter

Check to see if the town has a charter. Like a constitution for the town. Also find out if your state is a Dillon Rule state which means that counties, parishes, cities and towns cannot make any laws or rules that the state does not agree with. Then look at your state's constitution.

As a general rule, unless the town council/selectman vote to approve this "gift" at a public meeting then the "gift" is suspect.

IANAL

It is voted on. I have never heard of Dillion Rule before, so I was unsure if Wisconsin is a dillion rule state. My thought was that municipalities were only allowed to do what is authorized by state statute. Of course I could be wrong. But I don't think they should spend any money for the appropriations to a private organization. It's not their money and when the property taxes are literally through the roof here, what are they doing with the money. I have tried to get past meeting minutes but it doesn't seem they have any. I don't think they are keeping very good track of things. I have asked over a month ago for the most few recent available meeting minutes and they seem to refuse to give them. There is no law that dictates the ammount of time they are required to comply with a foia request in Wisconsin.

irish52084

Just for my clarification, are they donating or gifting the money, or are they paying for a service? It seems like it might be tough for a city to accomplish all it's needs without private companies to fulfill some of the tasks.