• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help me with the law

sjmarsing

Utah code 76-10-523 in part states: Section 76-10-505 does not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued. Section 76-10-505 in part states: A person may not carry a loaded firearm in a posted prohibited area. If I am reading this correctly, a concealed firearm permit authorizes me to carry a loaded firearm in a posted prohibited area. Yes? or NO?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Utah code 76-10-523 in part states: Section 76-10-505 does not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued. Section 76-10-505 in part states: A person may not carry a loaded firearm in a posted prohibited area. If I am reading this correctly, a concealed firearm permit authorizes me to carry a loaded firearm in a posted prohibited area. Yes? or NO?

NO.

You need to view them in proper context beginning with Utah Code Title 76Chapter10 Section 500, pay particular attention to 504.

sjmarsing

the way I read it 523 explains that 504 (1) and (2) and the entire section of 505 don't apply to holders of a concealed weapons permit

sjmarsing

I guess what I'm wondering is why does the permit allow carry in a vehicle or on a street but NOT in a posted prohibited area. ALL of those places are specifically mentioned in 505 which doesn't apply to anyone with a concealed weapons permit.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
the way I read it 523 explains that 504 (1) and (2) and the entire section of 505 don't apply to holders of a concealed weapons permit

You need to sit down with someone face to face if you wish to have all of the law interpreted for you or take a class. Unfortunately, this is not such a classroom setting suited to training on how the read the entire law.

I will take one line of one section as an example for you - 505

" (ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle"

You say that with a permit this section does NOT apply to you?

Get into a vehicle with a loaded handgun w/o the permission of the driver (at least implied) and see where you end up. The car/truck is their's; the permit is yours - They do NOT have to allow the two together. It is a private vehicle - simple enough.

sjmarsing

All I'm asking for is to see a law that prohibits carry in prohibited areas for cwp holders. Rumors and hearsay are not law. I've read posts on this forum from members who have taken classes and were given false information such as: "YOU MUST HAVE YOUR FIREARM CONCEALED" which is not true. I have contacted Utah BCI about my question based on their FAQ page and they have not given me a response.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion

As the statute is written. ONLY IF YOU ARE IN A VEHICLE!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
I think what the OP and Grapeshot are missing here is the definition of "prohibited area".

76-10-501. Definitions.
As used in this part:
(14) "Prohibited area" means a place where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm.

I posted about this very topic a few fears ago, and here is my opinion. I grew up in the city of Lehi, Utah. Lehi has an ordinance making it unlawful to discharge a firearm in the city. If the city were to POST this prohibition, say near the signs that say "Welcome to Lehi", then openly carrying a loaded firearm would be unlawful in Lehi without a permit.

Please keep in mind that loaded open carry is not unlawful in Utah, unless in a vehicle without consent, or on a public street. I am also of the opinion that 76-10-505 does not exist at all for permit holders. What I am saying here is that consent from the person in possession of a vehicle is not required when one has a permit from any State or County. Sure, the person in possession may make whatever rule they wish, but carrying without consent is not a violation of 76-10-505 if the person is permitted.

Again, going on the definition provided above, I believe this was written to prohibit loaded carry in places where discharge is prohibited, which could be a lot of places. If the OP thought that "prohibited area" meant places like courtrooms, secure areas, and so forth, then I am certain he is mistaken. ;)

...my opinion.

Welcome to OCDO, sjmarsing!
banana.gif

jpm84092

Trying to be helpful

You asked to see law and not rumors or opinions. The attached link will take you to the Utah Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Criminal Identification website showing the required course materials for the State of Utah Concealed Carry Permit Course. This course CAN NOT be taught online and I AM NOT attempting to do so. I am simply providing you with a link so that you can do your own research and to satisfy your request for copies of Utah Firearms Law.

Link:http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/MTC01032011.pdf

If, after reading the law you still have questions or concerns, PM one of us who is a BCI Certified Instructor and we will be happy to discuss it with you. Our goal on this forum is to attempt to provide not just our opinions and share our experiences, but to provide "competent" references for participants to study for themselves.

Best of luck to you. And, if you have not already done so, I recommend you take the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit course. You will learn (or review) basic firearm safety, learn administrative procedures associated with the permit, and then study Utah and Federal Firearms Laws. This course is taught in person since reading a lot of legal language can be difficult for those who do not have a legal background or education and the instructor is there to make sense of it all for the students. And, having a copy of the course materials ahead of time allows you to prepare your questions in advance of the course.