• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OPEN CARRY

doughboi

hey everyone love thi sight. so today i went to sportsman warehose and bought a new holster so i can open carry and cc. i have my chl in or. but im here in wa visiting my mom. when i was there a customer was open carrying a nice 1911 on a leg rig, so i got a figure i just carry openly while im here and its been a pleasent expeirence. i went to lowes no prob from anyone, the employee greeted me and ask if i needeed help. then went to tesoro to get some beer it was all good. so im hoping that opencarry is more like this then im going to do it more. still if there is anyone in the portland metro that do oc please let me know cause im still a little nervous walking around openly. just want to say i love this site and will love to get together with other ocers.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
Welcome aboard and good for you. We need to get together another PDX outing. I was thinking about going to the one in Salem but it is a bit far.

doughboi

thanks everyone

First off i want to thank you all for the support, makes me more comfortible that there is more out there, im down for a meet. been looking for others to meet up with. im really interested in that. by the way anyone open in portland?

Last edited:

WhiteKnight

Welcome to the site! OCing is just something to get used to. I OC everyday in Salem, and a few times every now and then in Portland. I havent had any bad experiences except an issue in San Francisco. The cops didnt know it was legal to OC. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the site!

DenWin

I have OCed nearly 100% of the time. The only time I don't is visiting a friend's house who is against THE EVIL GUN but otherwise when I go get coffee, Freddy's, Lowes, The Gunstore, Gun Broker ... well, you get the point ^_^ For places that have no weapon signs posted, such as malls and theaters, I'll just cover up and make sure I don't print. It's easy in Oregon since I'm from the Portland area so a light jacket or sweater can take me anywhere. Any who, congrats on the decision to OC. It shows more and more people that guns don't cause problems. I've never had a problem with any one. I have been asked a few questions about legality and such, or if I'm a cop, but the best so far was, "Excuse me, why do you carry a tazer with you?" ^_^ Good luck in your endeavors.

doughboi

thanks

I have OCed nearly 100% of the time. The only time I don't is visiting a friend's house who is against THE EVIL GUN but otherwise when I go get coffee, Freddy's, Lowes, The Gunstore, Gun Broker ... well, you get the point ^_^ For places that have no weapon signs posted, such as malls and theaters, I'll just cover up and make sure I don't print. It's easy in Oregon since I'm from the Portland area so a light jacket or sweater can take me anywhere. Any who, congrats on the decision to OC. It shows more and more people that guns don't cause problems. I've never had a problem with any one. I have been asked a few questions about legality and such, or if I'm a cop, but the best so far was, "Excuse me, why do you carry a tazer with you?" ^_^ Good luck in your endeavors.

Its good to know that portland is not like what iv been reading or seeing on the internet, and your right most people dont care. i been trying to read other people expeirences in portland/metro but there not many at all, i guess that would be a good thing, anyways thanks for the encouragement.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Portland

I'm not 100% sure, but there are cities in OR that don't allow OC. I think that Portland is one of them. I just looked at one of the OR sticky threads, it does't say you can't OC, but Portland is on the list for no loaded gun rule. (An unloaded gun what a waste of time) So any way if I were you I would dig a little deeper to be on the safe side.

Cremator75

I'm not 100% sure, but there are cities in OR that don't allow OC. I think that Portland is one of them. I just looked at one of the OR sticky threads, it does't say you can't OC, but Portland is on the list for no loaded gun rule. (An unloaded gun what a waste of time) So any way if I were you I would dig a little deeper to be on the safe side.

Partly correct. No loaded OC, but a CHL exempts you from those municipalities infringing rules. You can sure expect to be stopped and questioned though.

teddyearp

And this is what gives me pause about OC in OR. The fact that the OR state law doesn't pre-empt, therefore allowing certain muni's to enact the 'loaded' provision. From my experience in Cali, the state law (back in '94) had both a 'loaded' provision (if you OC, as said, what a waste!) and if you didn't carry in a seperate, seperataly lockable container, you also got an unlawful CCW; complete with a weapon(s) forfeiture. Makes me wonder about the other poster that said the only problem was in SF, I find that hard to believe; even though Cali has passed a CCW license law, I highly doubt they've let the rest of the law lax. That's why I moved to AZ in '96. No 'loaded' provision(s).

But anyways, be carefull when OC in OR. Make sure there isn't another local law that might mess you up. That's what I'm here to research.

And on a final note, B4 most of you with concealed licenses flood me with that aspect, don't bother. I already know about that, I can, but I have already experienced and talked to others who have experienced the "extra" hassle one gets if stopped by a LEO and your CCL comes up. A two minute stop turns into a(n) (almost) two hour one with a quickness.