• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bear defense

AK47hero

any slug suggestions for a pump 12ga smooth bore? a high power rifle or hand gun is not in my price range. last summer i had a bear come through camp, grabbed my ak since it was better than nothing and stood back. the bear ate my burger that i had started preparing and moved on after sniffing around. making noise didn't really help

appreciate any suggestions

carracer

I haven't shot any slugs in 30 years or so. My dad shot down a tree once with 3 20ga. slugs. I have seen comparison reviews is shooting magazines on occassion but not recently. I'm sure an internet search will turn up something.

What kind of Shotty do you have? I picked up an old 870 rem for a hundred $ years ago. Had a smith shorten the barrel to 20" and put the bead back on. Been going to put sling swivels on but haven't gotten around to it yet. Only been 15 years or so. maybe I'll take it to the range with me today.

Last edited:

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
When the Wifey and I were heading from CO to Glacier, I did a little research, and because at the time you couldn't take firearms into the NPS, I emailed a guy (PhD) in Alaska for some advice. He said....at the time, that the sprays work well and to make sure to take 2 of them.....in case you also need to use one on your way back. :)
Now that you can carry in the NPS, you'll need a pretty big hand cannon or rifle.

None2Slow

For bear you want the most penetration as possible. I would think that the AK would be the better choice. Slugs in the shot gun couldn't hury, but some good old surplus steel core ammo for the AK would be my choice, if you can find it.